O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I have welding work clothes, climbing work clothes, dress clothes, lounge around the house clothes, casual clothes, winter clothes, and a few pairs of swim trunks for shorts. I can't see how someone that does physical labor for money doesn't have separate work and nice clothes, or have stuff to wear around the house.

I also prefer logger boots for ground work, but i will agree they do pound soft yards more than some other soles. I have worn them for about 20 years welding, and they are the only boots you should wear working up in the steel imo. I do wonder if a softer sole than the vibram heavy lug is better for climbing tho, giving way more traction or something?

I'd think you'd have a better feel for the branches with soft shoes, and maybe better balance. Rock climbing shoes might be pretty slick, but you could also end up with arch cramps since there isn't much support there.

I'd think you'd have a better feel for the branches with soft shoes, and maybe better balance. Rock climbing shoes might be pretty slick, but you could also end up with arch cramps since there isn't much support there.
Arches don't really need support. They are arches.

Rock climbing shoes are not for trees. Maybe rock climbing approach shoes, but I like a high-top, as even mid-height don't work with foot ascender straps.

These are the Keen Pittsburgh with steel toes, IIRC.
I'll spur climb in them somewhat, but not for chunking down lots of spar, with a big saw.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_190858247.jpg
    IMG_20200111_190858247.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Support might not have been the right word. Protection would be better. I get arch cramps standing on my arches only, like you would on a ladder or tree branch. Otherwise, I think the best shoes would be bare feet dipped in latex, indian style. It would give you protection against scrapes, but still allow good feel for walking on limbs.

Support might not have been the right word. Protection would be better. I get arch cramps standing on my arches only, like you would on a ladder or tree branch. Otherwise, I think the best shoes would be bare feet dipped in latex, indian style. It would give you protection against scrapes, but still allow good feel for walking on limbs.

You've seen that they have "shoes" just like that right? Look like feet dipped in Plastadip. I saw a guy climbing that way in one of the workshops I was at last summer.

I'm not surprised, but I hadn't seen them before. I wonder how easily the stuff goes on and off?

When I went to ArbFest West Haix boots were represented there. I tried on a pair of their red chainsaw boots and really liked the fit in a wide size. Bought a pair and am now hoping to get a softer, lighter pair of their boots in wide for climbing without spurs.

The second pair, the Scout, is what I'm hoping I can use for pruning climbs. Wide size made a big difference to my arches feeling comfortable. I notice my muscles in my feet have adjusted some through the years and I started needing one size bigger - must have gotten to wider also without me realizing it.

Last edited:
Arbpro evo2 for rope climbing and pruning and Kenetreck Mountain Extreme for spur work and everything else.

View attachment 98606
There's been a couple of these for sale locally and I entertained the thought of having one for my weekend warrior treework.

Any opinions or experience with them? Most of my jobs are small time...
I have always been in love with these and they are not street legal in most states with a couple places like Missouri being the exception. They run the country in Japan. The model of efficiency and all that is
needed in from a general work vehicle.

It's sure a cute little truck, for sure. I've seen many a one on offer here in the PNW market, imported used from Japan. Pretty much a toy, but a nice toy!
I disagree 100% with this assessment. A jaguar is a toy. These are incredibly designed and well thought out tools. We are shooting ourselves in the foot by not allowing these things over here.

Why are they illegal? Because they are a cabover? I see the isuzu ones all the time, although in a larger truck. I like the idea for a larger truck cabover, tighter turning radius for working residential. The one pictured is pretty small tho, and has a capacity that reminds me of a ranger. I had 2 trucks that size in my life, and i did work with them both, but they were quite often too small for the job.

They are very small and might not meet safety regs. Their top speed is 55 more or less. They are four wheel drive and not meant for interstates. They can have little dumpers on them, refrigerator, delivery box, little tankers, anything you can think of. Most people here use them as hunting atvs, off road, ranch and farm vehicles. They have heat and lights and all the amenities unlike some other ranch/farm trucks. They have high clearance, tight turning radius and get 60- 70 mpg. They have diesel and gas and manual and automatic. There are some little bitty work vans that are also sweet. The steering wheel is on the wrong side but they are so small I don't think it matters.

It is gd criminal we can't import small trucks to the USA without a 25% tariff. Kevin is right about the tiny trucks not meeting safety regs, but the "chicken tax" on foriegn trucks is what keeps the next size up out of US markets.

I have gone down a pretty serious rabbit hole trying to figure out how to import a Toyota dyna truck. It can be done, but only with trucks 25 or more years old!

Back