O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Yup, I get one of my buddies in the PNW to send me Stihl chain they buy from Wood's. For Oregon or Woodsman Pro you can get it from Bailey's pretty cheap.

A quick tip on the spinner- Most people want to spin and spin and sloooooolllllyyyyyy crank down the press to squeeze the rivet. This will give you a weaker rivet. You want to crank the rivet down relatively quickly while making about 4-5 turns on the spinner handle. This flares the body of the rivet giving a tighter fit.

Bingo. When I worked at the saw shop I put together thousands of chains. After a while, the actual spinning process was maybe 2 seconds if that. Never had one come apart.

On my spinner, I know exactly how far to turn the threaded side while spinning the rivet head side. It's about one turn from where I start, so I spin the spinner side about 4-5 times while turning the back part one turn, then back it off.

I have several of those little white tubes of grease that come with new Husky saws. I dab that on the rivets before spinning them. I can't find any other good use for it other than greasing the sprocket bearing once every couple months.

I just called Sherrill out on their 150% price match guarantee for the first time. Bailey's has the new Rock Exotica Pirate carabiners for $5 cheaper then Sherrill so I called up Sherrill got the price match and saved $14 on two of them. Of course, with Sherrill's much higher shipping cost I actually only ended up saving about $5 over what I would have with Bailey's, but hey it's something.

By the way Burnham you might be interested in these carabiners. They are much like the Omega Jake: side swing gate, pull down action. But they have a key lock and the gate looks to be of nicer construction. I'll let you know when I get them.

Thanks, Leon...I spied that biner in the Sherrill catalog when it came out this spring and thought the same thing. I haven't gotten any yet, but I'm sure I will before too long.

When you get them in hand, I'd be real interested in hearing a review.

While I'm glad you could save a buck Leon, I feel bad for Bailey's just trying to make a honest buck and their sale is stolen away.

I know what you mean Justin, but don't worry, Bailey's gets plenty of my money. Actually most of my purchases are from Wesspur and Bailey's, but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to make Sherrill honor their 150% price match guarantee. Especially because the difference between their price and the Bailey's price was so large.

Burnham, when I get the biners in hand I'll let you know how they are.

Guess I'll go ahead and post this as I did mention it the other day..
Got the new compressor all set for cleaning filters and what not.. And now taking Robs old compressor apart and I am going to make a tank for air on the truck... That way we can do tires and filters or what not in the field... Which is more often than not out in the middle of no where. This little pancake compressor is pretty cool compared to what we had :D

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 7
I like the fast recovery.. This one is only 4 gal.. but perfect for the equipment to blow it clean, filters and such. Tops out at about 115 PSI and kicks in at 80..

Just get one of these guys and run it off your ciggy lighter. 300psi.

Attachments

• 412RV13odQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    412RV13odQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 43
But the volume is about 2 cubic inches. You could blow up a bicycle tire in no time but filling a car tire to 30 psi would take 30 minutes.

Party pooper :P

Probably would suffice for air filters, is what I was thinking.... maybe turning your coffee into a latte.

Another option would be to have a compressor at home, and just get a separate tank with a hose attached. Fill it at home and take it to the jobsite, without need for electricity. Enough air and pressure to blow out your filters.

Forget bringing a compressor to the job site. Just have a couple of filters on hand and swap them out if they get really that bad.
Guys can kill alot of time monkeying with the tools instead of working...

I have found great compressors at the recycling yard/ dump. Often just need a new controller

This is how I roll!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMv3iTYT0go&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMv3iTYT0go&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I carry bunches of filters with me Frans.. There ain't enough air for weed eating season unless you have a genny on the truck..:lol: Brushing dead wood kinda sux for the saws also.. but not as bad as summer on brush cutters.

Hey Steve... 2:41 to fill her.. How big is the tank and was it empty ?
That's what will be in the shop once built basically..

Nope that's the normal low to high, it's a small compressor for that size of tank. It's my backup compressor and I have it just because it was given to me and then my Dad gave me a better one. It's a 1 hp, two stage, turns on at 120 psi and off at 160 psi. It will do any cleaning of chainsaws and any mechanic work that I did. The only time it was lacking was blowing out the chipper radiator. I would just have to be a little patient when I did that. Before I had it I had a little Walmart job that you could lift up and it was just a little better than nothing.

Back