O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I just ordered some stuff from Bailey's. 1 Kevlar helmet, 6 wedges (trying to catch up with Burnham) 1 bar dressing file thingey and a couple of bar wrenches.

If you catch up, then you have to start giving them away.:lol:

I've got to order up some goodies from Bailey's too, so many choices!

I need more wedges.. I also need to place another rope order soon with that dude on ebay.. I am really liking this Sampson 1/2 static black line... I bought 150 feet and I would like some more.. Come on receivables!:D

25.00... brand new from the dude on Ebay. I thought not bad... what the heck.. should work at the base of the tree. Make a better tow line (what its made for) but should work on most the trees I do here (except the bigger pines and valley oaks) just to hold the porty or Large rescue 8 to the tree for lowering...

The wedges were pretty cheap at Bailey's. Less than $3 each if I remember right. Cursed for really large trees I have a piece of a 5/8" bullrope that my guys cut with a chainsaw that I use. It had a splice on that end so I'm good to go. Usually I use a whoopie sling because I thought I would have less slack in the system with a whoopie.

Self cutting in a choked lashing-----but so long as extremes are avoided it will probably serve well enough. Some of the extremely strong fibers have little practical strength gain when used in normal rigging situations. Polyester remains a supreme git r' done cordage material. With Nylon being ideal for spplications requireing elasticity.

Sorry for being brief earlier, I was heading out the door.

Slipperiness is one thing, but it's fairly minor.

The low melting point means where the rope doubles over the other side making the choker will melt when it gets shock loaded, regardless of how tight you set it. A cow hitch would to the least I believe, but the sling it too short.

The lack of elasticity isn't great, but, IMO, it doesn't matter in slings. The run of rope is so short that even poly doesn't stretch enough to significantly lower peak loads.

If I was set on using it, I'd add a piece of nylon or poly covering to the rope to be put in the bite of the rope to protect it from some melting. A piece on each leg of line would be better, but the practicality wears off.

As the sling gets used it will melt together and be broken apart as it's removed. That adds up to a shorter life than an equivalent cordage with a higher melting point.

The melting equates to the self cutting that Stumpy is talking about.

Steve, The weather change got more extreme than originally forecast. It was 75* yesterday, Today my world is coated in Ice from dreezing frizzle. I may get in a couple hours this afternoon but my day has shifted to goofing around making arrows and watching movies. while web browsing.

Stumper, have you tried the bit torrent thing yet? Its been working great for me to rip movies to the hard drive. :D

Steve, The weather change got more extreme than originally forecast. It was 75* yesterday, Today my world is coated in Ice from dreezing frizzle. I may get in a couple hours this afternoon but my day has shifted to goofing around making arrows and watching movies. while web browsing.

Wow that's pretty crazy Justin. I was just joking anyway. I hardly ever lose a day because of weather.

We are not going to use this Amsteel in extreme scenarios. We used it on a small live oak today for the Large Steel figure eight for lowering and zip line down the hill from the tree over a pool .. I did not even cut more than 300# on any of the larger branches and send it down. I am thinking of using some fire hose to help with the bark friction on the rope and give it longer life. But it will primarily be used for light duty. Heavier duty will be like what Steve has or the webbing cinch strap.. I have webbing type come-alongs for that purpose also. The oak we took down today was barely 16"dbh and I would have even used this set up on the other tree yesterday. Rated at 30,000# its is nuttin to laugh at and we are never going to tax it.. Was just a light duty, cheap, light weight solution. ;)

As much as I love how smooth jobs can go with nice new technology like Amsteel and all that.... I just bought a fatty 5/8 12 strand rigging line for gitin' er done the quick dirty redneck way. :dude:

Granted I'll git er done while wearin' a sequoia and my new SIP fancy pants!! 8)

...I can't believe I just bought these damn things. :|:

Probably going to be one of my next purchases is some 5/8 bull rope. I really need some heavier line, and of course some heavier biners... OMG I am coming down with OCGD.. HAHAHA. Jk I already suffer from it... DO we ever stop ? Nawwwww ;)

Stephen, these are without exception the best rigging biners I've ever used. Wide gate in a relatively compact size, keyed gate so it doesn't snag, well designed and easy to use with a low price. Wesspur started carrying them this year so I don't have to scour the rescue rock climbing sites to find them any more.
http://wesspur.com/Carabiners/screw-locking-carabiners.html
scroll down to item #CAR201

k41112_01_150.gif

I wish I could still find those steel kong biners with the three-act gate. Those things have been bomb proof, but I can't seem to find em anywhere.

Same as the ones posted but different gate design. ...killer biner.

...WAIT!! Wespur has em! Well I be damn. They're in the posi-locking biner section.

I bought a couple of those with the plastic tri-act style gate and was severely disappointed. There's a rather severe cutout in the carabiner to allow room for the plastic gate to open, and even though the rating is the same I cannot see how you can cut 25% of the way through the steel and not weaken it a little bit.

The other problem is that the plastic will shatter if impacted. I was using one of those carabiners to pull a stuck throwline out of a tree. I had to hook it to my truck (2.2mm zingit) and when it finally broke, the line snapped back and shattered the plastic gate on the biner. It was 3 weeks old and was the second time I used it. I immediately took the other two like it off the work truck and use them for tarp tiedowns on my trash trailer. The steel screwlock is much more durable for rigging purposes. Save the tri-act for your aluminum life support biners.

Back