O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

You inspired me to go with the 5/8ths Brendon. Well that and I've glazed my 1/2" stable pretty badly.:D

I love books, time to get to the bottom of this srt business myself!

I just got my first 5/8" this year, haven't used the 1/2" since.

Don't rush into SRT, I rushed to get a setup last year and havn't had a tree to use it on yet.

Just my .02.

No rush just want to learn about it, see if I don't have enough gear kicking around to try a simple set-up out at home or something to start.

Not to rain on you guys parade, but I have gone back to using 1/2 almost all the time. Unless we are rigging down big oak blocks, Its 1/2 all the way. Lighter and easier for us.

I just hate the fact of going back to the truck when the big rope is needed. Weight isn't an issue considering it's sitting in the block the whole time.

Everyone does it different though!

I didn't have a big rope. I'll be getting more 1/2" in the future. And i'd still be happily using 1/2" if it hadn't gotten away on us a couple of times and glazed up real good. I might grab a few pics of it to hear some advice on what sorta damage is done to my 1/2".

Not to rain on you guys parade, but I have gone back to using 1/2 almost all the time. Unless we are rigging down big oak blocks, Its 1/2 all the way. Lighter and easier for us.

Nice to hear that. 1/2" is my rope of choice for most stuff

What would y'all say (granted it's a pic over the interweb) about this glazing. It's a pristine line other than about 30' that's glazed up like this. You can see it melted the rope in a few spots. Well it might be hard to see but there's definetly some melted fibers. My gut tells me signifigant strength loss and I don't feel like I can trust it anymore. Sucks cause like I said it's quite a new/pristine condition rope otherwise. The glazing starts about 50'-60' into the rope.:(

Attachments

• IMG_6837.JPG
    IMG_6837.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6838.JPG
    IMG_6838.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 54
Is the core of the rope stiff? Oh, that's a 12 strand rope, never mind. On 16 strand arbo rope, extreme loading will melt the core of the rope, causing a stiff area. On 12 strand all the strands are exposed, so what you see is what you get. It doesn't look that bad. Also you should always remember the 10% rule, working load is 10% of the rated breaking strength. If that's a 6000 lb rope then working load is 600 lbs. As the rope gets older you need to reduce that number to 400-500, then retire it when you're no longer comfortable using it.

It's 1/2" Samson stable braid rated at 10,400. So it should be good to go for 1000lbs. I'm just a little on the paranoid side so I figured I'd ask here.

That's Samson Stable Braid unless I'm mistaken.

That's pretty rough, IMO. The dark blue is beyond glazing in the sense that the rope liquified and solidified in a circle (top picture, odd shape).

What caused it?

Most of my rigging is done with 1/2". I use the good bits of a line like that to make slings (knotted, clove hitch and running bowline) for cutting and hanging bits from the lift.

Sure, 1klbs, but you gotta keep it from glazing that badly to keep it @ 1klbs.

Didja let a big nugget really run?

Well I didn't let it run :D. But yes it did run knot enough wraps. And yah I was figuring on the SWL being reduced atleast somewhat from the damage.

My bad, I thought it looked like True Blue, the second 12 strand rope to come on the market after Arbor Plex. Am I showing my age? :|:

I have some true blue that I was thinking of turning into my next 1/2" rigging line.

I just dunno about this rope anymore. Might be a good candidate for practicing splicing or something now. Maybe make one decent short hank and then try and splice some stuff outta the rest?

i dont really like the look of it, might use it for a pull rope. ive got a whole spool of 5/8 or 3/4, dont remember. never broke it out but i picked up a cematary job today, big ol dead fir to remove. roping all the wood out as i dont want to dig it up!

Got me some books today in the mail.. :D
I likes books. :)

Attachments

• P6053116 (Large).JPG
    P6053116 (Large).JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 16
Today I bought 300 sets of ear plugs (100 for Dad, no string) and 20 dozen pairs of gloves.

The gloves had went up about 9 cents a pair since the last time I bought them ('06 I think)

361 with a 20", grabbed a 28" for my 460 (ran out of 25"), and a BR600. Ended up with an extra chain and $40 off . Better than nothing.

Attachments

• new tools 001.jpg
    new tools 001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 13
I think you're going to really like that 361. The anti-vibe spring mount system is very effective, though I found it a little hard to learn to keep a real straight kerf running initially, as there is significant "slop" between the powerhead and the handles, compared to rubber mount Stihls.

I got my new LogRite cant hook yesterday. I bent the old one by abusing it far beyond its intended purpose. I had a bad stump cut and was trying to pop the chunk off and it wouldn't budge, so instead of cutting some more I hooked the bucket winch to the end of the handle for some extra lift. That was a $100 mistake. :(

But if any of you guys are in need of a cant hook or peavey, LogRite makes the best ones I've ever seen. Good folks, too. The guy who usually answers the phone is the owner of the company. I found out about them over on the Forestry Forum and now they are even selling through Bailey's, Sherrill and Stihl.

Back