nose sprocket

Chris E

I'm Not Slash
Ive noticed the nose sprocket on a bar I run on my 200t has a slight amount of sideways free play, maybe 1-2 mil. The bar isn't very worn I've probably dressed it once or twice but I haven't been rotating chains rather just running and sharpening each one at a time till the end. Got some issues with the saw cutting very poorly - I'm about to change the drive sprocket, Does it sound like I need a new bar as well?

I am no expert, but a bit sideplay is not bad.

If you rotate chains you rotate a decided amount of chains, 5 or more on a set of bar and rim. You get a lot more runtime out of it.
Then you change hole set.
I have customers running 10 chains on a set when others go 2-3 chains on a bar.

So if I would say anything I would say change bar if you replace sprocket. Get a bunch of chains and rotate for even wear.

Ask any bike owner if he replace one sprocket... Better change all of it or run with issues.

I don't know all the products available, but for me, the nose sprocket on the 200T isn't replaceable. You can only change the bar as a whole.
If the nose's sides don't spread too much, it's still usable, as the chain lays on the sprocket and not on the rails.
Just look if the nose isn't more wide than the chain ( aka drags in the kerf) and if the sprocket doesn't wiggle a lot. If that's the case, the ball bearing inside the sprocket could fail quickly. The first bar on my ms150T died by spitting some of the balls, after the central aluminum rivet became worn and let the nose's sides move apart a little too much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah it will take a new bar. The free play in the nose sprocket that's currently evident doesn't exist in any other bars that I have and some of them are quite worn, it looks like its on its way out.

Back