North American sports

Golf seems kind of dumb to me, just whacking some little ball around, albeit some can do it skillfully. Miniature golf is cool, though. Pro volleyball...being mean and slamming at your opponent and then everybody orgasmic high fiving, I don't get it. Time outs about every couple minutes too. :roll: There is some other game where people run around and throw a ball into a net past a helpless goalie, and it seems to bring out the worst in people.

College sports kinda suck too...

What ruins it for me is all the "fans"... I am finding that college sports fans are even worse than pro sports fans.

Meh... I'd rather be out fishin', huntin', or wrenchin' on my rigs than watchin' a bunch of overpaid candy asses play ball (pro sports)

Gary

College sports kinda suck too...

What ruins it for me is all the "fans"... I am finding that college sports fans are even worse than pro sports fans.

Meh... I'd rather be out fishin', huntin', or wrenchin' on my rigs than watchin' a bunch of overpaid candy asses play ball (pro sports)

Gary

Damn straight! :thumbup:

Particularly in basketball, there have been some real sad cases of young pro athletes getting very messed up. At least now they know that if you take some poor kid from a school in Kentucky, and suddenly dump three million dollars into his lap, there is a good chance that he might run amok. Some fine athletic potential has been lost by doing that, let alone some screwed up lives. Now they get what...the money and three free visits with a counselor? Of course, there is always Dennis Rodman to have as a fine example for young athletes.

Attachments

• Dennis Rodman has lost his mind.jpg
    Dennis Rodman has lost his mind.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 3
The NBA has a program to warn the rookies about this very possibility Jay. Also about women, and hanging out with your old homies from the hood. So they do try.

Right, Steve, I recall one particular young basketball player that was like the last straw, he really blew it. I only remember something about women in a limo and not showing up for practice. I don't recall his name, but it was shortly there after that the NBA did more than just give huge sums to young guys coming out of college.

if you want to find misguided basketball players, then look no further than Monsieur Latrell Sprewell. A number of well known incidents during and after his career, particularly the one where he tried to strangle his coach, and apparently almost succeeded. Another time, he was on an over twenty million contract when receiving the longest game suspension in NBA history. He fought with his own teammates and there was the event where he brought a 2x4 to practice to get revenge. He said that he couldn't afford to feed his kids on a twenty some million three year contract extension, so chose to end his playing career, or at least wait for better offers that never materialized. At the time of the Wikipedia posting, he was the number one delinquent tax payer in the state of Wisconsin. There are few that wouldn't agree that he was a hell of a basketball player, particularly an outside shooter and could grab the rebounds, when he wanted to play.

The guy was something else. Super talented. He was playing for the Warriors when he did the coach choking thing.

Back