Newly rebuilt woodshed

I know a guy who had a diesel-burning Hardy heater. Not sure how that panned out. For those who might not know, Hardy is a brand of outdoor furnace that heats your household water, as well as another reservoir of water that is circulated through a radiator in your ductwork to heat your home via your central system. I don't like central heat myself, so I don't care for the Hardy. My dad loves his. I like to back up to something and toast a bit when I come in from the cold. And I like to sleep in a cold room.

The way I look at it is, I'd heat with wood even if I had to cut and haul it out of the woods. Howsoever, I do enjoy getting paid to haul my own firewood......

By the way, nice woodshed, Burnham. I's envious....

I just have an abundance of if it plus I get some exercise in the process . I might save 12-1400 bucks a year maybe .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a single thing, Willie. We had the good fortune to fall into access to a batch of bigleaf maple that Longview Timber elected to leave behind on the landings after a harvest nearby. They give a few free permits out to local folks, and we we lucky enough to be in the right place/right time. Put 6 cords of the best hardwood fuel I am likely to see hereabouts in those open bays available, also under roof in Jasper's old yard, and stacked between some trees behind the shed, too...those have the old school retired sheet metal roofing held down by concrete blocks as cover :D.

Anyway, as to your question, we are fully happy with the shed. We did put up a closely spaced fence of 1x6 on the south side...keeps most of the wind driven rain off. Looks good too, though we see it seldom :). As designed, it takes two runs of 18 inch wood per bay and keeps it totally dry. 6+ cords capacity.

As of today, I think we have about 8 years of house heating fuel on hand :|:.

Skipped Scouts, too much godliness for my tastes, even as a 10 year old. Did join an Explorer Post at about 15, had a couple of high school buddies who were in, we had a good group that focused on backpacking and caving, 'til most of us graduated HS and headed off to college.

A side note...that Post was the first in the SE states to go coed, one of the very few nationally in the late '60s-early '70s...5 of us had girlfriends who were totally into the backpacking and caving stuff. Man, we had some fun. We were blessed with an adult advisor who got it.

Thanks sir, I just built a wood shed but made it portable so when I move I can take it with me. Need to make more as it only holds a cord of 18" wood but yours is more simple and I line simple!

There is no word for the envy in my heart.
Good for you, Burnham.
Plenty of firewood and then some is such a good feeling.

I'd like to build a woodshed, but at current estimates, I'll need about 35-40 cords of pine slabwood.:lol: That's a big shed.

Burnham,

I love the shed you built. I wish mine had a roof over it. We planned to put a roof on it, but the materials weren't available at the time. A year later a local farmer gave me the extra steel siding that he had left over from his building project. Some of it is rusted pretty badly, but most of it is useable.

We start the heating season around mid-Sept......through to about June 1st. Our house is 4000 sq. ft., including attic and basement. The house was built in 1915. 2x4 wall construction. We burn between 8-10 cords per winter. While firewood isn't free by any stretch of the imagination, it's a whole lot cheaper than propane. I figure we save about 2200 bucks per year, after figuring in the cost of collecting and processing the firewood.

I currently have 16 cords on hand.....about two years worth. Most of it is Green Ash....my favorite. Some Elm and Box Elder mixed in, as this stuff comes from the tree jobs I get in town. Not the best firewood, but it burns.

Enjoyed the pictures of the shed. You do great work.

Joel

I built a 1 cord shed last week that's worked out well but has a lot of material in it. Yours is simple, might go that route from here out. My buddy decided to demo this place he was going to remodel. Rough cut, nail bending material from 1910, I'm going to salvage as much as I can for this project.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416679708530.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416679708530.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416679761473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416679761473.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416679786168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416679786168.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 36
Agreed. I know many a fellow who would gladly take on a rebuild of those bones. Hell, I would have, not so many years past.

Yeah, just more and more work. Instead of half the foundation they have to re do the enter thing, all piers have to be replaced with larger, poured pads, 2 ribbons inside, the engineer is specing glue lams everywhere. For another $30k they will have a brand new house in much less time.

It really was a beautiful place, well preserved, just couldn't be conventionally financed so they got it for a great price

Back