New Truck

• Thread starter climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 3K
C

climber

Hey guys and gals,

Its been awhile since Ive posted on here but Id like to share our new purchase. 93' F350 with 460 5 speed. This will be our chip truck. As you can see in the picture the chipper, the dump, and our everything truck! But I also have some questions. The passengerside manifold is missing three bolts :cry: and has about an 1/8 inch gap between the manifold and the header. The header has rust on it and were the bolts go into the header, it is pretty much rusted away. So can you drill and tap deeper holes or do you need to put a new header in?

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• DSCN0640.JPG
    DSCN0640.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 12
Congrats! Nice looking truck for its age. I'm not sure what you mean about the header and manifold, aren't they the same thing?

On my '95 F-700, I've replaced both exhaust manifolds twice due to cracks in the manifold. Does your truck have hydraulic brakes, or air. If hydraulic, plan on rebuilding them often$$$

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Header meaning what the exhaust manifold mounts to. The pics will explain where Im talking about, I circled the problem area. And the brakes yes I know the master cylinder is leaking. And MB yes I am planning on adding about 3 ft or so to it. We just got the truck on tuesday. And were tring to take care of all the mechanical first then looks next!:D

Thanks

Attachments

• 460.JPG
    460.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 460a.JPG
    460a.JPG
    598.9 KB · Views: 13
That is a nice clean looking truck. Congrats.

Been looking myself for a replacement 1 ton just like that one. So far no luck except rusted out hulks. Don't need any of them as I already have a few of those.

Good luck with the new rig. It appears that the head is broken where the exhaust manifold bolts to it. I have never experienced that but I'm assuming you either live with it, or get a new or a used head for it. From my experience with gas motors and cracking exhaust manifolds it has always been when the ignition timing has been retarded that I have had problems.

Nice truck.

A 5' box on top of that 1' sidewall is perfect for my 1 ton. Here's a pic for an idea.

Attachments

• 5-19-08 001.jpg
    5-19-08 001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 11
We seem to think that the first owner plowed with it. We know they salted with it but plowing were unsure of. The truck has the original motor with 50k. So we think that the rusted out header is from salt. But do you think it is possible to tap deeper holes in the same place?

Looks as if you'd have to take the head out to tap them anyway, so I would just replace it.

Ya that would seem to be so. But Im a backyard mechanic if any. There is room there to get in to tap it would just be a PITA. But I dont know what going to happen. Im going to have my mechanic look at it tomorrow. And I know few other guys that are pretty good at that stuff so they can look at it too.

Thanks Dan

Ya I asked my dad about a heli coil and said maybe. But it looks like a new head to me and him. He knows a mechanic that he use to work with so we think he might do it for us.

Thanks
Dan

Pulling off the head will give you a look-see into the motor and you will know if you need to do anything further. It's a good time to do it when you first get the vehicle. I actually have 2 helicoiled exhaust manifold bolts on the motor in my pickup but they were from stripped threads.

So if I understand correctly the bolts are completely
out? Not snapped off?

Rather than deeper why cant you go with a larger hole. Then a helicoil. This would work as long as the isn't bigger than the flange on your manifold where the bolt passes through. I have also seen the holes welded up. With low miles high carbon content may not be an issue in haveing the holes welded then tapped.

Whoa! I just inlarged the pic. That doesnt look good. The other fellas here have given good advice.

A 460 is a good old engine although they are real fond of gasoline . It was originally built for a Lincoln town car as a take off of the 429 .

Last used in automobiles in 1978 . By the time that one ton was made it was strictly a medium truck engine .As such it should have hardened insert valve seats and forged pistons . 50,000 miles on that engine is nothing .

If you do have to change that head make darned sure you get a truck head with the inserts and not an older passenger car cylinder head which is not so equipted .

A little tid bit of info .I saw the very first 460 that ever made the final dyno tests for production and my name is written on the very last one ever produced which is on static display .

no kidding Al. thats cool.

I have driven a pickup back a few years ago that had a 460 in it, boy howdy that one had some get up and go.

Usually what cracks manifolds is retarded ignition timing .Then too if that truck had been used as a plow truck runnng under sustained loads can heat them up too .

You get them real hot then shut the engine off before everything cools down by itself and eventually something gives out . A 454 Chevy engine is also a noted manifold cracker .

It seems funny though because of the Ford engines,370 and 429 ,these didn't have the problem as much as the 460's .Nor did the Chevy 427' s or 366 as did the 454 .

Usually what cracks manifolds is retarded ignition timing .Then too if that truck had been used as a plow truck runnng under sustained loads can heat them up too .

You get them real hot then shut the engine off before everything cools down by itself and eventually something gives out . A 454 Chevy engine is also a noted manifold cracker .

It seems funny though because of the Ford engines,370 and 429 ,these didn't have the problem as much as the 460's .Nor did the Chevy 427' s or 366 as did the 454 .

I borrowed my neighbor's pickup to pull my dump trailer one time and it has a 454 in it. When I pulled into the driveway it was after dark and I lifted up the hood and the manifolds were red hot.

Ive got a 95 ford f350 with a 460 in it. Plenty of power and durable but I cannt keep exhaust manifold gaskets in it.... Learned to live with it. I get about 4 MPH pulling 6500# chipper . Im about to put a cummins 5.9 in it when work slows enough to take a week off..........

Ive got a 95 ford f350 with a 460 in it. Plenty of power and durable but I cannt keep exhaust manifold gaskets in it.... Learned to live with it. I get about 4 MPH pulling 6500# chipper . Im about to put a cummins 5.9 in it when work slows enough to take a week off..........

This is a very common complaint with the later years of this motor. The bolts loosten, then fal out or strip out and he exh. manifolds crack and break.
I would recomend finding a set of bolt on headers for that sucker and nip the problem in the bud now if you plan on keeping the truck.

I don't know how the Ford motors are but the chevy exhaust manifold bolts are supposed to be torqued so that the manifold can expand and slip in the holes. I have done this, when you get an exhaust leak the first thing you do is to tighten the exhaust manifold bolts, then pretty soon you have a cracked manifold.

Back