New to SRT

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
I finally bought a new rope wrench and have some questions as today was the first day I used it. I also bought a cmi handled ascender, and was wondering if your tether goes right to your saddle? Also when you are ascending up how you tend the slack and advance the knot? Sorry if they seem like dumb questions, I have never climbed SRT before and just had a few questions.

Tending slack is easiest by flipping your lanyard over your opposite shoulder and clipping it off to the extra hole your HC pulley or to the ring on your bridge.

Other methods incluse neck straps and shoulder harnesses.

In my limited experience the foot ascender plays a much more active role than the hand ascender, I dont use either except for vertical rope travel.

With a WR or a HH you dont need to tether the ascender to your saddle. If you are talking about a frog/texas like ascent system the VTIO link Bud posted should clarify some of that confusion.

Its a strange transition, I just started giving it a try. Its weird to rely on the mechanicals but at the same time being on the single line feels like how I always wanted to climb.

Most important thing.........low and slow!

SRT can inherently be one of the most dangerous techniques due to the finite complexities involved with compatibility and the multitude of devices available.

NEVER make the blind cut with a basal tie system. Never unless you can see both strands of rope that is.

Something that I'd thought of mentioning about SRT in relation to cutting the down line to a basal tie-off. Sometimes, the downstrand is running directly along the collar or crotch you're after. Sometimes, I'll clip that strand to my harness, or the up strand, to pull it out of the way of a cut.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the tips guys. SRT is so foreign to me, I will slowly try and incorporate into my style. If I have any more questions I will be sure to ask you guys!

Stig asked me to post some pictures of my set up in the HH thread. Instead of hijacking Paul's thread, I thouhgt it would be better shared here...

I love it for long branch walks.

It is super responsive and being able to create a redirect by simply dropping through a fork in a branch is great.

I'm totally new to SRt for anything but getting into the tree, so I'm easily excited by all this:lol:

So far none of us have experienced any slippage or the opposite with it. It simply works.

I'm going to have to figure a good way to get back up the rope, once I've descended down to a branch.

Simply climbing up the rope is too hard on an old, out of shape, guy like me.

I'm thinking that I could just clip my treefrog setup into the line and use that, but it is a bit cumbersome for short ascents.

What do the rest of the happy SRT people do?

Once Martin overcame his initial reluctance, he took to the HH like a duck to water.
He is looking forward to using it at school, and freaking the teachers out.

Here ya go Stig.
HC pulley is tethered to the handled ascender as is the foot stirrup. I have the Pantin on the other foot. Tether for the foot loop just clip to the D on the saddle and the ascender on the side clip for future use and get to work ;) :)
Replace to line as needed. The tether to the HC pulley also can double for an F8 set up quickly. I need to shorten it though. Still a tad long.
I did a short ascent, my hip and foot are feeling a little better, still about a week out for optimum performance.
IMG_20121102_134717.jpg IMG_20121102_134426.jpg IMG_20121102_134438.jpg IMG_20121102_134655.jpg IMG_20121102_134701.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/upZOVb9_1dE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Check out TCIA's Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture. 115 pages and over 200 color photos.

Cheers,
Donny

Hello,
Thanks for having me! I'm not sure how I found about this site, maybe from "My Tree Lessons" site. It's great to be here. Just another great forum for the climbing arborist. Is anyone here going to EXPO in Baltimore?

From my understanding, it is ready NOW through TCIA's website. It will be on sale at EXPO, but we are only bringing 150 copies, so it might go quick. Pricing is $85 for non-members and $55 for members. A little pricy, but I can assure you that it is well put together. We had a great review team!

Donny

Hey Dave!!
Great to be here. Have you seen the manual yet? WOW, it is awesome! Are you going to EXPO?

Donny

Thanks for having me! I look forward to sharing great ideas with all of you!

Back