New Craigslist Score

Dh1984

TreeHouser
I just scored this off of craigslist today for a 10.00 Dollar bill.and he said it would not run but not froze up.here the listing of it http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/2648653773.html
.and when i got it home i dumped out the old mix and refilled it when new and with a little tuning she is now running like a champ again.and it i got to get a new air filter the oine that was on it was cumbling in my hand.i will clean it up before i start using it.

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

Attachments

• Homelite Xl 008.jpg
    Homelite Xl 008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Homelite Xl 011.jpg
    Homelite Xl 011.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Homelite Xl 001.jpg
    Homelite Xl 001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Homelite Xl 002.jpg
    Homelite Xl 002.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Homelite Xl 009.jpg
    Homelite Xl 009.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
For $10 bucks you did good ,normally those saw go for $25. It never ceases to amaze me how often these little Homelite's keep popping up. I think they were the most popular model saw ever sold by a manufacturer. I think 55 million of these were manufactured and sold.

Larry, have you ever removed the trigger on an 076? Can't for the life of me figure out how to get off that plastic cover part over the handle. The trigger broke in two. It seems impossible to pry it over the lock button. There must be a trick. Anybody?

Sorry for the derail.

Attachments

• 446845256_QAuVf-M.jpg
    446845256_QAuVf-M.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 89
I have never had to do that. I went out and took a peek at mine. I hate to say this but it looks like you have to slit that one piece molded black cover for the handle to get at the handle parts. If you do that there is still no guarentee you can get the trigger parts out because some of those parts like the pins have been pressed into the handles. The 020 AVP handles are like that.

I have a IPL for that saw let me take a look at it and see before we start doing something from which there is no going back once you do it.

If that is your saw that is one sweet looking 76

Here is a scan of the handle. The main handle frame (11) and the rubber grip (12) on the handle are two seperate parts . How you would get that grip off if beyond me. Maybe a heat gun would do it I don't know. Those little pins also look like they will have to be pressed out somehow and then back in.

This is the best help I can give you Jay. Looks like you are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the diagram, Larry. I had a go at it a couple months ago, then gave up. I don't recall the pins, possibly I missed them or don't remember, have to check tomorrow. Really forcing it and still it wouldn't slip past the stop. Nobody at Stihl in my area can advise. Possibly the heat gun as you suggest would work, or maybe set in boiling water. A fine saw when large trees come along, I'd like to get it running again. Two in the shop, mine and another on permanent loan because the owner can't lift it anymore. The photo is off the net, mine has seen a lot of use over the twenty some years, mainly for milling at one point. Very reliable, it can sit for a year or two then will start right up. No decomp.

The trigger just disintegrated one day for no apparent reason, I think age and fatigue.

The little xl's were Homelites answer to a Mini Mac .Both cost about a 100 bucks brand new .On sale for 85-90 .Usually a 20 dollar bill will buy one that runs .Those that don't either are given away or tossed .

I have a double trigger model in the shed ,freebie .Had a bad condenser .It probabley runs as well as it ever did which isn't saying much other than it does cut wood .

Yesterday going home from the shop after hand planing wood for the second day, I could feel little twitches of pain moving around my body like a pinball machine. A hot shower helped. Riding my bike helps too. Too old to ride a bike and it will be all over, I fear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For $10 bucks you did good ,normally those saw go for $25. It never ceases to amaze me how often these little Homelite's keep popping up. I think they were the most popular model saw ever sold by a manufacturer. I think 55 million of these were manufactured and sold.

yeah i know i seen four more on there in about a month now but they want more then 25 dollars for them.and 3 out of 4 of them didn't even run.

Yesterday going home from the shop after hand planing wood for the second day
I for one am not into that hand stuff .I might use a cabinet scraper on occasion though .One reason I'll probabley only ever achieve perhaps a decent cabinent makers expertise of skill level but never a furniture maker . I certainly do admire the work though:)

LEt me check my old man IPL. Let's see, that's the mustache model right? Wow, it comes complete with dog, woman, house AND job (not listed in order of importance)!

Hand planing wood, I guess it is like playing an instrument. You have to struggle to get it, that is knowing the tools well enough to not get tear out and keep things flat, and having sufficient sharpness, but once you learn, it never gets old. I think that many would agree that is about the most fun part of woodworking. Exposing the pristine surface of wood is really enjoyable and informative, a nice trade for the effort required and what you get for it. The value of wood really shows strongly. Each to their own approach, but planing is pretty cool in a few ways. Certainly more common in the days before sanders, etc. A scraper is a good tool too.

Too much derail, not enough Homelite. 1984, reveal yourself. How bout a face photo now that you got the camera rolling....? Nothing gay bro, just seeing about face to go with the name!

Okay Homelite baby saws .The damned little things would run like maniacs for maybe two years just like the Mini Macs then the oilers would die .

You find one that most times cost next to nothing and the chains might have been filed one or twice if at all .Ha they were cute though ,10-12 inch bar you could stick the thing in a 5 gallon bucket with the oil and a tiny little gas can and have at it .I think they'd run on about a quart of gas for a day .:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too much derail, not enough Homelite. 1984, reveal yourself. How bout a face photo now that you got the camera rolling....? Nothing gay bro, just seeing about face to go with the name!

i understand tucker and here's my last picture i took in the summer when i slicked my hair off. just remember this picture was in my storage tailer that i use for my saw shop LOL.

ATTACH]

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110703.JPG
    Snapshot_20110703.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 31
Back