New Climbing Line

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
I know this topic is usually one ot get beaten to death on most climbing forums, but owell.

I'm looking at purchasing a new rope within the next month or so. I've been climbing on PI and I like it. I've also climbed on Fly. I'm looking at Blaze, Velocity, or maybe going back to 1/2" for awhile and getting Blue Streak. I've always liked the look of Blue Streak, and since I use a FS only about 50% of the time right now, I figure the 16 strand will hold up better than a 24 strand line. Anyone have a personal favorite or experience of the three lines mentioned above. Thanks

Ranger Danger... I own/use the Fly 150' , the Blaze 120 and the Blue streak 120'...Right now I mainly single line the blaze, I had a few years on the fly , it is for backup and the rare double crotch limbwalk....The Blue Streak remains one of my old best friends , seems to go better with old school double line hitch climbing , ...I use handled ascender plus grigi for the reduced diameter for single line application , ... I actually love them all...

It seems like you're very ambitious about buying and trying new equipment. That's great, as you don't remain stagnant with your knowledge and practical use of new equipment in the industry.

However, I think your passion might also be used with increasing your understanding of trees. There's so much to learn, and so little time you should start right away! Take the money you were going to buy a rope with (settle with the excellent PI you already own) and buy some books by Shigo, or the Arboriculture bible by Harris or Gilman or many others. If you need a list of good sources, let me know.

jp:D

It seems like you're very ambitious about buying and trying new equipment. That's great, as you don't remain stagnant with your knowledge and practical use of new equipment in the industry.

However, I think your passion might also be used with increasing your understanding of trees. There's so much to learn, and so little time you should start right away! Take the money you were going to buy a rope with (settle with the excellent PI you already own) and buy some books by Shigo, or the Arboriculture bible by Harris or Gilman or many others. If you need a list of good sources, let me know.

jp:D

I'm with this guy :). The gear is addicting, but buy a book. If you don't want a book, I use Velocity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys!! Dad is a giant book fanatic, so we have just about every arbo book out there right now. Been reading a few at night, studying for that cert arborist exam I plan to take next year.

I remember climbing that in gym class. I dont remember if it was 3 strand though, it was like 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick and was rough as all get out.

Believe it or not, that's what I was given as my climbing line at my first tree job with Bartlett. And it wasn't even a new rope. As the noob, I got the old, oil-soaked, nicked up hank that was lying in the bottom of the tool box for God only knows how long. Ah, those were the days, my friend...

Blue streak is all I've ever needed, but its fun to buy stuff

No one mentioned Tachyon.......:/:

on a side note: I was doing a side job with my shiny new tachyon this past spring. The client (an old friend) asked how often I replace my line, I answered every year or so depending on wear... My groundie turned around and piped up "He gets a new one every time a new one hits the market" :lol:

I finally climbed on the Tachyon I bought last month at the conference.

Nothing all that exciting, swing from the basket to the tree, get up in the last main crotch of a water oak. Bomb 4 limbs, tie one limb off and cut it, repell down.

Worked just dandy for that. Decided the Trango Cinch sucks for a lanyard adjuster.

A few years back I tried out a few skinny lines. It was right after the Fly came out so I tried that and the Sherrill yellow jacket. Ended up going back to Blue Streak, the skinny ropes are harder for me to climb. And if you think you're saving a bunch of weight, think again. The weight difference is about a pound per 100', so your average climb of 50' means the hanging rope is a half lb lighter. Big whoop. Grabbing the skinny rope and pulling myself up caused me to get cramps in my hands. The fatter rope is easier to grab, wears better and holds more weight (when I end up downgrading it to a lowering line). My VT hitch works smoother on the fatter rope also.

Go ahead and try a couple skinny ropes. Then when you're done playing around and want to make your climbing easier, you can go back to Blue Streak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys!! Sounds like Blue Streak will be my next line. I've been on the skinny ropes for about 3 years and have found nothing really special about them.

And I agree with Skwerl on that holding more weight. That is one reason I like the Blue Streak so much, an 8100lb breaking strength. That's some serious strength right there!!

screw that shat.......skinny is good. To each is own. I ride velocity daily. 6k vs 8k to break who cares.......lighter is mo betta'

Elegantly said by a man of class and sophistication Butch. I think I finally found a quote worthy of my signature line!

...........yep:D

truthfully I dont care what folks preference is....:D

Back