Need some car advice

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Alright guys, looking for some car advice here. As many know I'm getting ready to leave for my road trip in about 2 months around the country. I'm figuring I'll be putting at least 15k miles on my car, and looking at gas prices and my MPG, I'm looking at $3k at least in gas alone. That freaks me out a bit. So I've been looking into possibly trading in my car for a smaller car, a Suzuki SX4 to be precise. Taking that MPG, I could save at least $1k in gas for this trip. Not only that, looking into the future gas prices will only be on the rise, and since the SX4 city MPG is what my Grand Vitari gets highway, plus some, it looks pretty good right now. I need to contact the dealer about trade in value (keep in mind, this is the same dealer I bought my current car from, and they are great to deal with), and I have the money to cover additional costs.

I just think it would be the smart move to go from my Grand Vitari to the SX4, since it gets good MPG and gas has been killing me here. Costs $50 to fill my tank and I go through that in a weeks driving here, so I spend $400 in gas a month just driving in town. I could cut my gas bill down by at least $50 a month just switching cars, which would add up to at least $600 a year in savings compared to the GV.

Like I said, I still have to look into some things, like trade in value and how much extra I have to pay, the warranty I bought would transfer, things like that. Just wanted to get everyone opinion and make sure I'm not going on some dumb rave here. Thanks!

It makes sense to get a vehicle that will serve you best for your trip. Going smaller seems advantageous, but wouldn't also having a vehicle that you can sleep in be helpful, one that will sell easily when you no longer need it?

Fuel costs are but a small part of the cost of owning a vehicle, and not all vehicles are created equal. Your optimistic calculations of $600 per year in gas savings (published fuel economy numbers are never accurate) is less than one trip to the repair shop. There are other factors such as comfort and how well the usable space fits your needs as well. You will lose more in depreciation on the trade in transaction than you will save in 2 years in fuel, plus you will be driving a much less desirable vehicle IMO. And have you checked out how it will affect your insurance costs?

...Costs $50 to fill my tank and I go through that in a weeks driving here, so I spend $400 in gas a month just driving in town.

LOL! It costs me $110CDN to fill my pickup (a mere 72 liter tank (about 20 gallons)) and that gets me about 425km (about 270 miles) if I drive like my grandad. Thats roughly a tank every 4 or 5 days.

What is the price difference if you were to trade in your car for a new one, that is what you need to look at. If you have to pay over $3k I would pass...

Does this new car have 4wd? on your road trip you might need that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys.

I didn't think about all of that Skwerl. I've decided I'm keeping my current car, for a number of reasons. One being I can sleep in it if need be lol(thanks for that jay).

Sounds like a good call, there's always more than 2 sides of the coin when buying cars or equipment.

Try filling the plane up:

39 gallons x $5.95/gallon = $232.05

No lube provided. :O

I went and got 15 gallons of the 100LL, filled up the truck and a 5 gal can of straight fuel.... I came close to 1/2 that on that particular day :/:
Then Kat needed her van filled up so that added 80.00 to it.. Came pretty close .... If we take the jeep too... Say no more I feel your pain.. :lol:

It's all you can say if you dwell on it you might run head long into the chipper. I really hope gas prices go down but I think that will not happen any time soon.

Should be over 5.00 per gallon here by summers end. Speculation true, approaching that near Yosemite already. Adrian is right in his planning for fuel efficiency on his road trip.

Back