Need a Descender

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 8K
Tree climbers rarely had problems burning their ropes until the new advanced hitches came along using smaller diameter cord. If you just go 'old school' and tie a taut line hitch or Blake's hitch, the rope won't burn as easily as using a small 5/16" or 3/8" hitch cord.

Laz made some comments over at the buzz I found pretty interesting. He said he was doing research and found that the newer heat resistant cordage (i.e. HRC, Beeline etc.) actually transfers the heat back into the rope and causes burning/glazing on the climbing line rather than the hitch cord.

jp:D

Thats what I found back in 06. I showed the rope to TD and he allowed as how that was highly improbable and my rope must have been running on something other than the RG.

And a brand new rope will glaze faster and easier than a used rope with a bit of fuzz on it. It's funny watching the guys at the climbing comps with brand new ropes wondering why their hitch cords are burning up.

And a brand new rope will glaze faster and easier than a used rope with a bit of fuzz on it. It's funny watching the guys at the climbing comps with brand new ropes wondering why their hitch cords are burning up.

-- -----------------

Well there ya go...I`ve just learned something new!

Thanks Mr. Skwerl

HC

At least try a gri gri.The only disadvantage is, it could be slow on the larger dia. ropes.They are way fast on a 10 mill.

At least try a gri gri.The only disadvantage is, it could be slow on the larger dia. ropes.They are way fast on a 10 mill.

A gri gri for descending? Yuck.

Petzl stop, is better. My favorite is the Anthron. It is a double stop. Meaning that if you squeeze it, it stops. Or if you let go, it stops. Holding it in the 'sweet' spot lets you descend. The Anthron is alot smoother than the Petzl Stop.

Attachments

• anthron_dsd-30_descender-250x200.jpg
    anthron_dsd-30_descender-250x200.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 69
I seen a vid. a while ago where the climber was tied in to the crane and was setting the rigging. He was descending on a alum. mini portty hooked right to his saddle. Probley not what your looking for but he was ripping down his line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the memebrs here offered me a Gri gri for demo.....ill report back.

A gri gri for descending? Yuck.

Petzl stop, is better. My favorite is the Anthron. It is a double stop. Meaning that if you squeeze it, it stops. Or if you let go, it stops. Holding it in the 'sweet' spot lets you descend. The Anthron is alot smoother than the Petzl Stop.

Any more info on this?

A mini porti huh? Now theres a way to potentially get hurt.....I like the idea on staright UNdense spars. But the stopping, fighting, and going over limbs that most canopies require would make the portie idea, not so good.

Yah 2 climbers he was just setting slings then comming straight down off the crane . The second climber was doing all the cutting. This set seemed to be vary fast pased

two climbers, when done right, is the FASTESt way, fo sho. One of the local companies uses this method as s.o.p. They get a lot of our production work

I agree! We often times employ this method. Its also a great training tool for employes who have never worked with a crane before.

Ah.

Gerry Baranek turned me on to the Anthron. After using the Petzl Stop, I am sure glad I bought it.

The Anthron seems to be smoother and not so herky jerky while descending.

However a down side of the anthron is that it is hard to load properly. You must be careful and do it right. But after that, smooth sailing.

I have noticed that ALL the descenders we tree people are used to are really designed for limited descents.

When going down really long descents, like over 200 feet, I think the racks are the best. As long as they are backed up, IMO. There was some Youtube video I saw some time ago of a guy who was descending into a cave and let go of the rack, zipping right down the rope to his death.
You could see him attempt to grab the rope, but then snatch them back from the heat, I guess.

Back