More 'bees are dying' news from Haagen Dazs

I got a cool picture of this hawk moth sucking up honey from one of the busted up combs.

Attachments

• IMGP0424.resized.JPG
    IMGP0424.resized.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 10
I understand that there are 2000 other insects that will pollinate but bees are the only ones that will let us humans manipulate them into hives and haul them around.

Yup, lots of other insects do pollinate plants, but bees account for the majority. Think about how many insects you've seen hovering around flowers and consider how many of them are bees. A worse problem is that many plants exist in a symbiotic relationship with just one or two specific insects that are exactly the right shape to pollinate their flowers. The future doesn't look so bright for those plants that only bees can/will polinate.

Insects will be here long after we're gone. Look at the cockroach, It's survived for millions of years.

Now if we could only get them to pollinate everything for us ?
:/:

I love how Floridians call them 'Palmetto Bugs'... sounds so much better !!!

I'm sure they are the same genus, but they are 10 to 20 times bigger then a regular house roach. They are frickin huge.

I talked to a guy that did water sampling for ny state. I asked him if he was finding any atrazine, which is a weed spray for corn, in the water. He said no but he was finding glyphosphate [roundup]. Monsanto told us that sunlight made it break down into harmless compounds. Yeah. Atrazine has been around since the 60's and has been building up in the ground and surface water. It is thought to be playing a part in the frogs problems. Better living through chemistry. Is that a dow slogan?

I don't know if you can blame the bees on us, but I think we are doing the frogs in probably with fertilizer and pesticide runoff from farms. This can mostly be fixed but it takes some money.

Did anybody read the TCI article for Jan. about a bad run-in with honey bees ?
"Christopher Robin, I'm afraid these are the wrong sort of bees..."

Back