Morbark Chipper Won't Start

There should be another fuel filter further along the system, a metal one. Follow the fuel line to find it.
Replace that in line filter, and buy a dozen more for for stock.
Have you run the fuel low lately?

....I have had to go through fuel system entirely....remove and clean tank , blowvout lines , filter plus pump intake screen. Not that complex. Easy to test pump as well. Nick the big clue is full fuel demand .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This plastic filter is just like a prefilter. There's a metal screw on filter that looks like a standard oil filter that a car would have. I can't seem to find one locally, but still looking. It's only like $12 online, but I'd love to have this thing ready to roll on Monday.

love
nick

You can take off the metal filter, empty it out, wash it out with diesel. Will be better than before. Tip it out you can see clear water if there is any.
That prefilter still looks choked. Should be able to get one from any motor factors.

The pre filter should be easy to see if it is plugged in person. The picture doesn't show enough detail. The dark area is the paper element. Diesel is pretty clear liquid over here now unless it is dyed red for off road.

...factoring in the Murphy switch over ride made no difference. Thinking like the dude in the garage said to Woodward or Bernstien....follow the fuel Nick ...follow the fuel.

You burn clear diesel over there in California?

So the engine will run as long as you hold the key? What do you mean? Hold in the start position? When you let go and the key goes into the run position it dies?

If the engine runs I would not think that it is a fuel issue. If you do change the filters, pour the contents through a t shirt. Water will not run through.

It sounds to me that you have an electrical problem. The run circuit fails to stay energized when the key is moved. Could be a bad key switch. Not sure what kind of Murphy system your chipper has, but the ones I have been around reset if tripped, or you hold them in while starting. A switch is either on or off, protecting the engine from low oil pressure or high water temps. Not all Murphy systems will cover both oil and water. If tripped, an engine will not "sorta" run.

I would check for 12 volts dropped at the solenoid on the pump when the key is in the run position. It should be hot.

Some engines will not run if various fluid levels are not up to par. Check the oil and water.

We have the ultra low sulfur clear and red diesel in Montana. I guess it has been that way for a couple of years. The ULSD gels up worse than the old stuff and does not react to anti gel treatments as well.

We use Clear diesel for on road use only and Red diesel for everything else. If it is not a pickup or a truck or a motor-home it gets red diesel. I was just surprised to see clear diesel in a fuel filter on a chipper.

Could be. I suppose that there is not a lot of farming in LA! It does not really matter here either. Because almost all of my income comes from agriculture I get all of my road tax back from the state, even if the clear diesel I burn is in my semi on the highway.

Farmers get away with everything.

Farmers get away with everything.

Agree, definitely an imbalance in society. Here they are burning the rice fields after the harvest to seal the cuts, creating enough smoke to give half the population a lung disorder. Some homeowner wants to burn a few small branches out behind his house and the city will come running out to tell him to stop.

What's off-road diesel for? Obviously I know what it's for...but why not just use the same as everyone else?

So I'm taking it to Direct Edge on Monday. I spent a lot of time trouble shooting this and I'm maybe 10% closer to fixing the problem. I think just gotta give it up, pay money and plan to rent a machine and schedule jobs around the problem until this one is fixed.

This is what I get for not knowing anything about engines.

I learned about the murphy switch. The dealer at Garvey is sure that ISN'T the prob. He tried starting it and considered that as a possibility, but didn't seem like the prob. He called me today and asked me to look inside the switch box (clear plastic) and see if it was all dirty/dusty inside. He said he sees more Mswitch failures when there's a lot of debris getting in the box. Mine is clean as a whistle.

I spent some time following all the fuel lines, which was a neat lesson is how it all gets to where its going. There were no leaks.

I checked with the crew about the possibility of having run out of fuel and getting air in the system. They were quite certain that never happened. I believe them. They fill up weekly and honestly we use our chipper for just a few hours per week.

I've learned that the fuel filters (inline filter and the metal screw on filter) are NOT available locally (that I can find) and though it would be good to replace them, I'm thinking that's NOT the prob.

I think, and trouble shooting with other techs from Morbark HQ and from Garvey Equipment makes me think it's an ignition switch issue.

I also learned that there's red fuel. Sounds fast. I want some.

Red fuel basically diesel fuel that is dyed. They dye it to tell it apart from clear fuel. Dyed diesel is cheaper because you don't pay road tax for it. Your diesel truck will run on it but if they find it in your on road vehicles it is considered tax evasion.
Can you send pictures of your fuel filters and the numbers on them?

Back