Modded Stihl 201T v Husqvarna 540xp

Really Butch?

I have used quite a few of them and have yet to be satisfied by using one. Everyone has been gutless, but I have been comparing them to ported 200t's.

I have picked up the husky topper and cut some wood but not used one for a duration long enough to form an opinion on them.

They seem a good saw at first glance and reports from other users are good.

HA! Glorious Reg! Ashamed I haven't the same guts you have. I'll only justify my pusillanimity by explaining that I've not yet purchased the 540. :|:

Sorry: chiming in a bit late as always. :|:

Well said Magnus. The video proves absolutely nothing: much as I now hate Stihl for releasing that dirty pig of a 201, I'll have to confess that the chains were clearly sharpened much differently.

Well said Magnus. The video proves absolutely nothing: much as I now hate Stihl for releasing that dirty pig of a 201, I'll have to confess that the chains were clearly sharpened much differently.
Yeah videos prove nothing. A 6 year old MS200 against a 2 day old T540XP.:?
From how poorly the 540 chain was sharpened [depth gauges] it could have cut a lot better with a decent chain.

My 540 will be back in the line up running against a fresh 200 and a fresh 201(the 201 may stay fresh forever as it's unlikely to get used). All with the same razor sharp chains. No vids but I'll post up on my personal findings.

My 540 will be back in the line up running against a fresh 200 and a fresh 201(the 201 may stay fresh forever as it's unlikely to get used). All with the same razor sharp chains. No vids but I'll post up on my personal findings.

Ok look forward to. It, I'll do the same (against the 201)

I kind of wonder with all this huff about the 201 if Stihl doesn't have somthing up their sleeve .I see it all now ,out of the blue the redesigned magical 202 which in reality is just a good old 200T in newer clothing .Rush right off to your dealer and order one for the paltry price of 1100 bucks ,bar and chain extra .

Al, the 201 has been redesigned and all reports indicate that they run fine today.

Where Stihl shat in the nettles was in not admitting that something was not right with the first 201s, recalling them and fixing the problem.
That will have lost them a lot of goodwill and probably quite a few customers as well.

They seem to have learned from it, however.
The whole recall of the MS661 ( Which still hasn't reappeared on the market) and they way they treated me afterwards kind of tells that they have got the mesasage this time.

We're still running the 2 MS660s that we have on loan for free, and as long as the 661 doesn't make it's appeareance, we'll continue to do so:)

The 200T's the champ no doubt, but even it had some problems.

For me number one annoyance was accidentally turning my saw off in the cut by bumping that dang kill switch!

Number two was all 4 I bought only went bout 6 months before the mufflers started rattling loose and eventually fracturing into pieces parts. Now I realize it's my wimpiness bout sticking with the smallest lightest saw I can that tears my 200's apart muffler wise, cuz I won't put it down till the woods over 27 inch dia, but hey I'm a dinky dude!

So why do the mufflers, atleast mine rattle? My Stihl tech tells me my mistake is starting and stopping the saw too much between cuts instead of letting it idle between cuts as Stihl recs. something about the variations in the expansion and contraction rates of two different kinds of steel, presumably aluminum/magnesium/stainless steel.

Regardless, I don't dig idling saws hangin off me in the tree, I want to use every drop of gas in my saw cuttin not idlin. And why the heck don't any of my other saws mufflers rattle off?

Stihl has since remedied my problem anyway by coming out with their inverted cone lock washers, which have not rattled loose yet even once. Touché Stihl.

And third on my biotch list of course are those dang stupid floppy gas n oil caps! Nothin more annoying than bar oil in your lap!

Hey Stihl, howzabout some simple smooth surfaced oil n gas caps that can be wiped clean with the swipe of a rag before fueling? Yu know, keep all that crud outta the insides of your saw?

Jomo

TB: Donny Coffey

FWIW

NEW T540XP
#387266 - 03/18/14 06:45 PM
Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote Quick Reply Quick Reply

Hello folks,
I have a new, in the box T540XP with a 16" bar. Everything is there as if you were to buy it new( two different handle sizes, winter cover, scrench...). Just won a new one and have no need for two.

Asking $625.00 and I'll pay shipping to the lower 48 states. Only accept PayPal. First to pm me gets the saw.

Donny

Used the 540 in anger today, it really is brilliant, I didn't race it against the stihl, I didn't have to, it's faster.
I know it shouldn't matter but it looks cool as well, makes the stihl look dated, nice kill switch action, obviously it's new so I'm going to be a bit enamoured but for me it's a clear winner.

I have no idea why the 200T mufflers rattle loose .They are suppossed to have a serated belleville type lock washer to prevent that .

Tom is so disqusted with the 201 he bought he has banished it to the shelf .He bought it like last summer so it should have been the "new" and improved model I would have thought .

If you think about it arborists type saws like these are a very small portion of overall sales .If Stihl was aware of the problems they could have very well lost some customer base which quite frankly probabley will never hurt them ,only their ego .That I might add seems very large .Gargantuan is more like it .

The 200T's the champ no doubt, but even it had some problems.

For me number one annoyance was accidentally turning my saw off in the cut by bumping that dang kill switch!

Number two was all 4 I bought only went bout 6 months before the mufflers started rattling loose and eventually fracturing into pieces parts. Now I realize it's my wimpiness bout sticking with the smallest lightest saw I can that tears my 200's apart muffler wise, cuz I won't put it down till the woods over 27 inch dia, but hey I'm a dinky dude!

So why do the mufflers, atleast mine rattle? My Stihl tech tells me my mistake is starting and stopping the saw too much between cuts instead of letting it idle between cuts as Stihl recs. something about the variations in the expansion and contraction rates of two different kinds of steel, presumably aluminum/magnesium/stainless steel.

Regardless, I don't dig idling saws hangin off me in the tree, I want to use every drop of gas in my saw cuttin not idlin. And why the heck don't any of my other saws mufflers rattle off?

Stihl has since remedied my problem anyway by coming out with their inverted cone lock washers, which have not rattled loose yet even once. Touché Stihl.

And third on my biotch list of course are those dang stupid floppy gas n oil caps! Nothin more annoying than bar oil in your lap!

Hey Stihl, howzabout some simple smooth surfaced oil n gas caps that can be wiped clean with the swipe of a rag before fueling? Yu know, keep all that crud outta the insides of your saw?

Jomo

Don't forget the small crappy pump in the carb, which sends air in the gas when it becomes worn.

My 200T's muffler holds well, even if I stop the engine after each and every cut. I like to use my gas for cutting too, instead idling.

Don't forget the small crappy pump in the carb, which sends air in the gas when it becomes worn.
When I sent Eddie from Stihl a 200T carb for testing he sent me back one of those with the accelerator pump .I have it on a souped up 200T and that thing has never ran so well .Then again I don't run my two 200T's to the extent many professionals on this forum do .

Back