Mighty Mouse Carabiner and Sequoia Harness

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I have a sequoia SRT with the "top croll" shoulder harness http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Accessories/Petzl-Top-Croll-size-1 but I dont need the shoulder harness much of the time and it's not super simple to remove.

I was thinking a could add a quicklink for the rear attachment point but then I saw these mighty mouse carabiners http://www.sherrilltree.com/s.nl?sc=11&category=2125&it=A&id=814&fromsla=T&whence= and thought I could swap out the current quicklink for one of those and put one in the rear. Then the shoulder harness could be removed in seconds without rethreading any webbing.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? And would anyone be able to take a pic of that carabiner next to say a petzl AM'd (cause that's the carabiners I use now) I would like to get an idea of the size before ordering something I might not need.

Thanks. T

I'm not familiar with the Mighty Mouse and cannot see images on AS seeing as how Darin banned me for sticking up for another banned member, but it looks like a triple locking version of the Black Diamond Positron. I have several of these in non locking and screw lock versions and they are a fantastic little carabiner. Unfortunately they are not offered in a triple action so they are not OSHA approved for tree climbing.

Even though they are smaller and lighter than a Petzl Am'D (my preferred climbing biner), they are not as compact as a screwlink. For the application you're asking about I'd probably go with a rated screwlink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not familiar with the Mighty Mouse and cannot see images on AS seeing as how Darin banned me for sticking up for another banned member, but it looks like a triple locking version of the Black Diamond Positron. I have several of these in non locking and screw lock versions and they are a fantastic little carabiner. Unfortunately they are not offered in a triple action so they are not OSHA approved for tree climbing.

Even though they are smaller and lighter than a Petzl Am'D (my preferred climbing biner), they are not as compact as a screwlink. For the application you're asking about I'd probably go with a rated screwlink.

That sounds very similar to these http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Trango/idesc/SuperFly+-+Screwlock/Store/MG/item/201243/N/1028 which are only available in screw link but I can buy them down the street. They are tiny and several of my rock climbing friends use them. The mighty mouse just has better suited geometry to what I am looking at doing (at over twice the price though).

I'm not sure it's legal for me to repost the pics in the link or I would.

It has a pin gate instead of a key gate but looks good otherwise. After starting out on the Petzl Am'D I found it extremely inconvenient using anything with a pinned gate, though.

No problem posting links here, this ain't AS. 8)
Do a Google search on the Black Diamond Positron and you can compare prices and numbers. I've always had excellent service and great prices at Gear Express but you may prefer another supplier. The keyed gate was the deal maker for me.

I just found a newer, lighter biner than the Positron. At the time I bought them, the Positron was the lightest screwlock biner on the market. Now Black Diamond has the Vaporlock which is even lighter.

VaporLock.jpg

It has a pin gate instead of a key gate but looks good otherwise. After starting out on the Petzl Am'D I found it extremely inconvenient using anything with a pinned gate, though.

No problem posting links here, this ain't AS. 8)
Do a Google search on the Black Diamond Positron and you can compare prices and numbers. I've always had excellent service and great prices at Gear Express but you may prefer another supplier. The keyed gate was the deal maker for me.

here is the pic from that link I posted. I didn't take it, I don't know who did, I am just reposting it so you can see it (hope this works, never posted a pic here before):

dsc09859.jpg

I'll be happy to post a similar picture comparing the Am'D with a Positron tomorrow. They are all on the bucket truck which is parked at the storage yard.

I like the mighty mouse. It's my #2 favorite carabiner (right after the DMM oval and followed by the aluminum petzl Am'D Ball lock).

Seems like what you're trying to do will work...

I use the mighty mouse for exactly that purpose.
Except I only use it in the front of my Sequoia SRT. I've left the back attachment point the way it came.

Works fine.

I'm not sure how you will attach it to the back. Mine comes off easy enough I have left it all stock and use the mighty mouse at my flipline and hitchclimber

Just getting back with the pictures I promised yesterday. The only drawback with the Positron is that it isn't available in a triple action. Other than that it is by far the best aluminum biner I've used. The gate opening is very wide for as small as it is.

I use the mighty mouse for exactly that purpose.
Except I only use it in the front of my Sequoia SRT. I've left the back attachment point the way it came.

Works fine.

The back attachment is the more time consuming of the two to remove. I plan to cut off the aluminum piece and just run the mighty mouse through the webbing loop in the rear. I ordered 2 last night with my order from sherrill so I hope it was money well spent.

Cool deal. When you get it maybe you can throw up a picture comparing it to the Petzl so we can get a better idea of the size. :)

As an update, I got 2 mighty mouse carabiners in the mail yesterday. I cut the rear aluminum attachment off my sequoia with a hacksaw. I believe these will work perfect, though at a hefty price... I would post pics but I don't own a camera and even my phone is too old (2004) to have a camera on it.

So I managed to get a camera and take some pics:

Tkersting18

Tkersting18

Tkersting18

You might notice what looks like staples holding velcro on to the waste strap, and you would be right. I am having velcro sewn on but to hold it in place until then I used staples.

The carabiners in order from left to right are: Black Diamond Freewire, Petzl OK Triact, Mighty Mouse, Petzl Triact Am'd, Petzl HMS Triact

They make the suspender part of the Sequoia in several sizes, dwarf among them!

Back