Memorial trees not doing well

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 3K
Not the best species selection for the long-term, either, but I agree with

Seriously, roll that forward 100 or so years... three 100' live oaks within 30 linear feet. I've seen one in a back yard with a 130' wide canopy... nothing close to record size, just really big.

Just curious. Do Live Oaks tranplant good? Around here they don't. Red Oaks have a better chance than White Oaks.

Those were some big trees they moved.

Yeah Paul I think I must have slept through that class, please elaborate.

I think the best way to do the crown excavation is to do it with the kids. Explain that the trees are sick and need help then ask for volunteers to help carefully dig around the bases of the trees. It could be a very fun thing for the kids to do and you could teach them about proper planting depth and girdling roots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the best way to do the crown excavation is to do it with the kids. Explain that the trees are sick and need help then ask for volunteers to help carefully dig around the bases of the trees. It could be a very fun thing for the kids to do and you could teach them about proper planting depth and girdling roots.

That is an excellent suggestion. Thank you! :thumbup:

Cut them down, and replant something of more appropriate size.

That's probably not an option at this time. There is an emotional element involved, as well as the large monetary donation made to the parish for the priveledge of having a living memorial near the entrance to the church.

Yeah Paul I think I must have slept through that class, please elaborate.

You're so smart.

It's obviously not desirable to remove the trees but how long do they want the living memorial to live? The patient's already on the table, you have to do SOMETHING right? If you don't touch them one or more may die very soon. If they live and grow like live oaks... you know more about this than I do.... how do live oaks do long term when they're that close together?

I've seen trunks bigger than those 8'x8' holes. Wrong tree wrong place is still the wrong tree even if it's sentimental.

:thumbup:

This used to be my job. It totally works.

So Mr. Sir you get a trowel out yet?

i'm going to clearwater next weekend; how far are you form there?

Nothing done yet. The powers that be are still pondering...

I'm about an hour from Clearwater.

Nothing done yet. The powers that be are still pondering...
wtf is there to ponder if they do not know anything about the roots?? It's like a doctor basing decisions on your health without seeing you from the waist down. :what: Absurd. Take a peek--5 minutes with a trowel will tell you a lot. No Rx without an RCX--Root Crown Examination (excavation is not always needed)

It's not ideal but those trees have enough room--could they be a columnar cultivar. An 8x8 is great! I've seen live oaks planted tighter do ok. It's all about the soil quality and volume. Read Up by Roots. ;)
I'm about an hour from Clearwater.
ok i take 54 a lot going from gvil to cwtr; next time midjuly. Sliding scale on consultations starts at $0. :|:

Back