Matt Cornell Rope Saddle thread

pantheraba

More biners!!!
It seems like some of us are starting to get the MCRS.

I have a Matt Cornell right now...just started using it last week, used it for a removal over the weekend.

I am liking it so far...this is the first real rope bridge I have had...my previous saddle has been a New Tribe Pro (Ness) and it was wonderful...super comfortable. But it is ten years old. I asked NT about rebuilding it but they said it is beyond the age they rebuild them...also said that based upon the descriptions of what I needed done it would be cheaper to just get a new saddle.

So I am trying the MCRS.

Re: the side rings...they are the same size as the leg/rope rings and the bridge ring. They work for a lanyard but I would like them bigger...I had the BIG D's on my New Tribe and got used to them, often hanging a biner off them temporarily or hitching a rope there temporarily when my hands were getting full. So...I would like to have larger side D's on the M. Cornell...but that is just me...they are definitely usable. They do seem maybe a bit farther back...have not ascertained that yet. With them being the same color (green) as the rope bridge ring it can be easy to quickly snap into a leg ring rather than a side ring...anything green on the saddle is OK to snap into...but they caution to always snap into one on each side, not just hang from one (strange, I have not ever even thought about hanging from just one ring).

But...the MCRS seems easier to get into and the adjustability of the legs/waist etc. looks like it will be a good thing.

I'll post some picts if I can get my computer back from my grandson....wish me luck...:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have started experimenting with a PAW on the bridge. The PAW may get too twisty...not enough time trying it yet to know. I have a Rock Exotica swivel that might help but waiting to see.

And some gratuitous pictures of my tree trailer.

Attachments

• MCRS reszd3.jpg
    MCRS reszd3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 191
  • MCRS reszd4.jpg
    MCRS reszd4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 190
  • MCRS reszd5.jpg
    MCRS reszd5.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 190
  • MCRS reszd6.jpg
    MCRS reszd6.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 188
  • MCRS reszd7.jpg
    MCRS reszd7.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 183
  • MCRS reszd8.jpg
    MCRS reszd8.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 189
  • MCRS reszd9.jpg
    MCRS reszd9.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 187
  • MCRS reszd10.jpg
    MCRS reszd10.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 180
  • MCRS reszd11.jpg
    MCRS reszd11.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 185
And here is what comes with the new saddle:

Boy not included....

Attachments

• MCRS new reszd1.jpg
    MCRS new reszd1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 179
  • MCRS new reszd2.jpg
    MCRS new reszd2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 178
  • MCRS new reszd3.jpg
    MCRS new reszd3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 169
  • MCRS new reszd4.jpg
    MCRS new reszd4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 178
Nice write-up, Gary. Are you still liking it?

I have also recently received a MCRS and had my first climb on it today. For some reason I did not have high expectations on being wowed, probably because I have been quite satisfied with my TM. Well I gotta say, I'm wowed! What an incredibly comfortable saddle! It is noticeably more comfortable than the TM and far easier to adjust. Having all the critical support components exposed and easy to inspect is a real plus too. This is a very nice saddle. Way to go, Matt and TreeStuff.

One important thing to note, on the picture showing the waist buckle, see how loose the rope bridge knots have become with just a short stint of ground work. The rope bridge is very stout and like most cordage of its type it will take some time before those knots become "memory set". Pay attention to them especially when they are not weighted.

Attachments

• 20151028_132432-1_resized.jpg
    20151028_132432-1_resized.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20151028_113002-1_resized.jpg
    20151028_113002-1_resized.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 20151028_112909-1_resized.jpg
    20151028_112909-1_resized.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 163
MCRS is bomb.

Somehow, someway, I'm going to get some Caritool slots on this thing though. Figure I can rivet/Chicago screw something to the belting. I don't like hanging the saw off the suspension.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e9aCFeAVcmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DMc...I am still liking the MCRS. I have at least 8-10 hours in it now and am finding it comfortable. The New Tribe Pro may be a tad more comfortable but it's close. I do like how the leg pads can be slid back and forth as needed. They have been "pinchy on the boys" a few times and I am working to understand better how to prevent that.

The rope bridge does give me a better latitude of movement "twisty-wise" that the NT did not....sometimes the NT had to move around my body. The MCRS seems to be more a part of me as I move in the tree.

Re: the bridge knots...I agree. I have not had a rope bridge before and the knots had me a bit leery. Here is what I did with mine...tied them off with parachute shroud type line. It seemed to me with the bridge being that stiff that the knots could work loose and I might not catch it. I got pro-active and took some of my worry out of the equation.

Attachments

• rope bridge reszd set 1.jpg
    rope bridge reszd set 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 133
  • rope bridge reszd set 2.jpg
    rope bridge reszd set 2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 126
Nice write-up, Gary. Are you still liking it?

I have also recently received a MCRS and had my first climb on it today. For some reason I did not have high expectations on being wowed, probably because I have been quite satisfied with my TM. Well I gotta say, I'm wowed! What an incredibly comfortable saddle! It is noticeably more comfortable than the TM and far easier to adjust. Having all the critical support components exposed and easy to inspect is a real plus too. This is a very nice saddle. Way to go, Matt and TreeStuff.

One important thing to note, on the picture showing the waist buckle, see how loose the rope bridge knots have become with just a short stint of ground work. The rope bridge is very stout and like most cordage of its type it will take some time before those knots become "memory set". Pay attention to them especially when they are not weighted.

Would scaffold knots be a better choice for bridge attachment?

Would scaffold knots be a better choice for bridge attachment?

I plan on trying that but I expect not, at least with the supplied bridge. The scaffold knot takes up more space, length wise, by nature and the bridge rope on the MCRS has 3 to 4 inches on each end sewn to make a stiff bar. This helps to make the recommended anchor bend safer but will no doubt be less than ideal with the scaffold knot.

... I do like how the leg pads can be slid back and forth as needed. They have been "pinchy on the boys" a few times and I am working to understand better how to prevent that...

Gary, try lengthening the waist belt rings. That may or may not help but when the waist support comes on first it will cause the leg pads support to slide up causing the problem your experiencing.

Look at how long I have mine adjusted.

Also with the top support lengthened, you can shorten the leg loops. Mine have enough space to comfortably get my hand underneath them when not weighed. They basically don't move around at all with the way they slide through the rings.

Ok, even though I have not been climbing on the MCRS for very long, I can honestly say that it is the best tree working saddle I have ever used!

It has some things that take getting used to, like the floppy side rings in place of the more normal forward set D rings. I flipped the knots on mine so instead of pointing upwards and falling back, they now face down and fall forward. That keeps them more accessible for me.
But beyond the need to adjust to the difference in some of the components and fitting requirements, this saddle rocks! Two things that stand out are the waist belt and the smoothness of lateral movement. The waist belt not only gives great support, in part due to its large size, but the inside being leather means it stays where you put it. In my opinion, nothing does this better than leather. The lateral movement is so smooth without being overly sensitive You do not have that side flopping feel you might expect. It feels perfectly neutral and non-restricting.
Anyone in the market for a new saddle should give serious consideration to the MCRS.

A thought on the rope bridge. The reason we stitched the end like you see is so that the knot can not come out. The tail of the knot has to turn 180 degrees to come out, OR the knot must be loosened so much that it can be flipped out. The stiff portion is longer than the width of the anchor bridge making it extremely unlikely that even the loosest, mots purposely-improperly-configured knot could come undone.

I recommend removing the bridge and 'wearing' it on the edge of a table or a log.

I thought that i wouldn't like the buckle waist belt, compared to a more fancy adjustable belt. Its very handy this time of year, with layering/ delayering.

I need to slide the bridge rope toward the bridge ring, then place the belt's end up to the slot with the bridge rope, in order to get the belt end into the slot on the left hip, where the bridge rope slides through. That tail sticking out was objectionable, slightly, until I figured how to get it through that webbing slot.

I am using a small wire gate biner, gate to the rear, for saw hanging. The biner stays firmly in place. I think it might be a Neutrino biner.

Also with the top support lengthened, you can shorten the leg loops. Mine have enough space to comfortably get my hand underneath them when not weighed. They basically don't move around at all with the way they slide through the rings.

DMc...I made that adjustment. It DiD help...the leg pads are a lot better now.

I spent a lot of time about a week ago on a takedown in a maple where I had a lot of time hanging in the saddle...anytime on spurs the MCRS was very comfortable. But after spending several long sessions with almost all weight on the saddle instead of most on spurs, I was feeling it...more than I remember feeling it with my New Tribe Pro (Ness).

The Ness has a different kind of padding from the MCRS and I don't remember it getting my attention after extended "saddle only" time like the MCRS.

BUT...with that being said...the MCRS is working very well as an overall saddle. I do like the rope bridge "flexibility" of movement compared to the more restrictive New Tribe attachment point. I still have two New Tribe saddles "in the wings" for use...but I grab the MCRS now first.

I do like the buckle waist belt...also took me awhile to figure out where to best tuck the end of the belt. I can squeeze it into that same webbing slot as Sean but a dedicated retainer slot would be easier.

I thought that i wouldn't like the buckle waist belt, compared to a more fancy adjustable belt. Its very handy this time of year, with layering/ delayering.....

I love the buckle waist belt! It stays where you put it without having to be too tight and like you said it is handy this time of year with the varying layers and the fact it is easy to use with gloves on.

This picture that I posted earlier clearly shows how the belt tail gets tucked.

Attachments

• 20151028_132432-1_resized.jpg
    20151028_132432-1_resized.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 67
DMc...I made that adjustment. It DiD help...the leg pads are a lot better now...

Cool, Gary! The only other thing that can make a difference is the red bungee cord that holds them up. When it is adjusted to the right length the leg pads will automatically be in the right place when you go from standing to full sit and not need to be slid up or down.

The New Tribes are legendary for comfort, especially in full suspension. I do not normally spend much time free hanging like that. So even if the MCRS can not surpass the New Tribe in hanging comfort, it is still comfortable with other features that make it a real winner.

Yes, Dave, that's how I was writing. Its neater than my fancy buckle tail end on another saddle.

I met Matt at TCIA expo last week. He looks crazy....his eyes especially. But when you speak to him he's a really peaceful and relaxed individual. I realized there's a lot of subtle features that make this saddle so comfortable. They didn't happen by accident or overnight either. Well done Matt:thumbup:

Cool, Gary! The only other thing that can make a difference is the red bungee cord that holds them up. When it is adjusted to the right length the leg pads will automatically be in the right place when you go from standing to full sit and not need to be slid up or down.

The New Tribes are legendary for comfort, especially in full suspension. I do not normally spend much time free hanging like that. So even if the MCRS can not surpass the New Tribe in hanging comfort, it is still comfortable with other features that make it a real winner.

You can also change WHERE the red cord attaches, effectively rotating the leg loops for you.

I got one of these saddles a couple weeks ago and climbed on it a few times. I'm very happy with the saddle - much lighter and more maneuverable than my old one, but the tails on the the rope bridge concern me! Any time tension comes off the line, the anchor bends seem to loosen and the tails creep up to the knots. I read above about the stiff sewn/plastic part being too long to come through the knot, but just looking at it is bugging me. Anybody have any recommendations about an alternative rope to use as a bridge, so that I can just use a longer piece and tie a stopper knot in the tails? Also, I'm wanting to trade out the "D" rings on the sides with a larger steel ring - anyone see a problem there?
Thanks,

Spend a little time hanging from the bridge ring to set it, moving around a jiggling a bit.

Mine set tight.

I tied a second bridge for 2 SRT systems, it loosened up too much, too. I think that it will set with a little effort.

Back