Man I swear the gym is best for a climber and ground men.

a friend of mine started a gym based on the "gym Jones" philosophy. I go twice a week at 6am I am home at 7:30 am and ready to go. it's not super rigorous. I have little or no motivation to work myself out so I found paying someone to make me do a little more is good. I have the idea that I just need to communicate with all my muscles and make sure they are ready for duty. I also swim a bit. I used to play a lot of soccer and basketball but I think that kind of exercise can be detrimental. rock climbing is fun and I go sometimes to the gym but that just exacerbates my climbing overuse muscles and my "monkey back" as my wife calls it. most climbers you see are hunched over a bit. at work I am always trying to get the job done with the least amout of work possible

Actually, playing basketball and soccer and competition style footlocking really did a number oon my body. blown out acl and I think I lost my other one playing coed soccer this last summer. Play isn't the same as excersize either. There are certainly no proffess I nal nba players who dont condition and excersize. If I had been more aware coukd have prevented those injuries. Recovering from them is hard work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea we just lost our star player to another knee injury. so sad because he is amazing athlete and has so much heart. I blew out my whole right knee at 14 or 15 riding bmx. Rock climbing,lifting, and stretching are my main workouts. Might get into yoga with my lady.

Gym Jones looks interesting though the founder's ego seems gigantic. Maybe your friend is not a franchisee but as you say, has a similar excerise philosophy. Is it a lot like Crossfit?

Kevin, everything you say about your workout resonates with how I also workout. I probably hit the gym 4-5 times a week...but only do "strength" work on two of those days. Your comment that you feel you need to communicate with your muscles is very familiar to me...my yoga instructor calls it talking to the members of the family...we first need to know who the family members are and then need to know how to address them. Many of us have muscles that we do not actually realize exist and do not know how to employ them selectively as needed. Proper attention to good body mechanics, good inner sight as working out can improve our efficiency...and ultimately safety since by being more efficient saves energy and makes us less prone to mistakes caused by fatigue.

My workouts are not earth shaking/intense normally. At every workout I do:

bike 10-15 minutes
yoga 30-60 minutes
martial arts work 30-60 minutes
"strength workout"...a few machines, most is bodyweight work (usually 2x per week) and takes about 20 minutes
yoga-15-20 minutes post workout stretch.

Workouts range from 1.5 hrs to 2.5 hrs, occasionally 3 hrs...depends on what life is like at the moment. I can cram a workout into an hour but that is pretty rushed for me.

Proper consistent workouts make it possible for me to be able to do other physical activities...I consider gym workouts/stretching as "paying my dues" so I can do other stuff.

The one thing you guys touched on that is THE big thing in sports or climbing trees is injuries. As a climber, if you get hurt, it's not only your body that suffers, but also your paycheck and your family. It pays to keep your body in the best practical shape you can. It also gives you an advantage here in the summertime when the temp and humidity are hovering around 100.

All I can say Dave is that if I can make it to be climbing like you when I am your age than I'll be happy. Maybe by then I will have it be that I just live right period and I don't have to worry about it. It seems years of practicing martial arts would get you there.

That's impressive Rich:thumbup:
Here's me on my 50th birthday in Jamica, cold no pre pump.
5' 11", 205 lbs. No weight training at this period in my life, just treework.

View attachment 59984View attachment 59985
That's impressive! I've been lifting consistently since about 13. I'm glad I strarted young tho cuz it's much easier to maintain at this point I just hope to still be in good shape in another 20

Yes I started very young too, but in that picture of me at 50 I hadn't weight trained for over 5 years. Bad rotator cuff injury in my mid 40's from a falling log. Lot's of footlocking DRT and chucking rounds doing treework kept me in shape along with the foundation I built over my younger years of weight training. Timber falling from age 16-36 full time was my main conditioning factor though. Also manual farm labor before that.

Last 5 years my shoulder no longer affects my lifting and seems to be all healed up nice now. So I've been back into the training program again.
Lifting alot smarter now along with lighter weights and more reps. Biggest upper body exercise is pullups.....I've been fortunate being good doing them. Just have to keep the high reps up as long as I can into my later years.

That's a good one Butch!:D
I'd love to get back into the big Olympic plates and bench past 405 again. Who knows maybe I could again, but it's funny when 20 years ago when the tape finally measured 18" on my right bicep I thought I was still small........probably from all the years of reading muscle magazines looking at all those steriod freaks doing their routines.

the worst part of joining the 400 club is getting out of it! its all mental but when your conditioned to lift heavy its hard to get away from it even if you are in better shape. im a big fan of pull ups too and try to do them everyday still. one of the coolest things ive tried, and it worked, was to do 1 set of max pull ups a day. then next day try and do +1, and so on. if your sore take a day off and if your just not feeling your best take a day off and if your training arms and back during the week you might need to accommodate that as well. after about 2 months I went from doing 20 to 52. its interesting how you can make your body adapt to the things you do

the worst part of joining the 400 club is getting out of it! its all mental but when your conditioned to lift heavy its hard to get away from it even if you are in better shape. im a big fan of pull ups too and try to do them everyday still. one of the coolest things ive tried, and it worked, was to do 1 set of max pull ups a day. then next day try and do +1, and so on. if your sore take a day off and if your just not feeling your best take a day off and if your training arms and back during the week you might need to accommodate that as well. after about 2 months I went from doing 20 to 52. its interesting how you can make your body adapt to the things you do
400 lb bench press is a big deal . I read that weight lifters around the world didn't record that feat until sometime after WWII. It took me 20 years after being stuck at 315 for 1 rep to even think about putting on 4 plates. What worked for me was after I got to 8-10 reps of 225 on the narrow bench press for 3 sets could I even attempt 405.
Pullups I only do on my back, bicep day right at the start of my workout. When I "did" 3 sets of 10 of pullups with 2 minutes rest between sets I then hung plates to my belt. Still no where near that at the moment.

That's so funny Raj:lol:
Suck that gut in and tighten up a little, then no one will attempt to steal that 6 pack off you.

Just googled bench press records and found the first recorded 400 lb bench press was in Nov. 1950 by a Canadian strongman named Doug Hepburn.
In 1951he was the first to bench 450 lb, then in 1953 first with 500 lb.Then it takes off from there with other lifters around 1959.

rope work:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_-DcAz8h11I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Body weight work:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6C5hMsUfyRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back