Looking to hire climber/ groundman combo. Olympia, WA

Would not be surprised that he could out work some younger Sean. I am 51 and can out work most young guys in these hills. Not lightening, but steady and unrelenting :D

The guy I work with, Duane, is 52 and a foot shorter than me. He hauls twice as much brush as anyone else on the job. Works hard as hell.

However you likely wont be able to teach him anything at all. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stephan , I thought about you at 51.

Smarter not harder.

I can't believebelieve it when Erik doesn't bring my modified handhand truck, which carries long thin logs, short fat round, and chokered piles of brush with one person.
When I work alone, I'm never without it.

The more you pay,the better the staff you attract.

Of course you will still get "chancers" and people who talk themselves up,but the better the terms the more and better the applicants will be.So if they don´t work out,there is a pile of other people to try.

The easiest employees to gain are the ones that no one else wants.

I am not trying to tell you how to do it,I am just sharing what I have painfully learned.

The more you pay,the better the staff you attract.
Agreed.

Mostly I have to train them from the basics.

I would LOVE to hire an experienced guy and pay him what he's worth.

I try to have skill milestones for the inexperienced guys to train to reach, knowing that with increased skills and productivity comes their next raise.

So far, in five years, I have only hired Erik and one other guy, a CA climber, with good experience. Well, one other guy was a hard worker and could cut, but reliability was his issue.

Loving the stories of the strong hardworking old guys!!;)

Good Luck Sean! It always seems like the guys that can "do as much work as two men, rah rah rah", leave the job site that first day at 10:30am. It truly amazes me how hard it is for quality people to come around :|: I put my CA/foreman/climber/estimator/slave driver boots on everyday and have enjoyed the benefits of being loyal, hardworking, and reliable.
Would love to work with you at some point but with the baby on the way, will be rooted in Bend for a while!

Good Luck Sean! It always seems like the guys that can "do as much work as two men, rah rah rah", leave the job site that first day at 10:30am. It truly amazes me how hard it is for quality people to come around :|: I put my CA/foreman/climber/estimator/slave driver boots on everyday and have enjoyed the benefits of being loyal, hardworking, and reliable.
Would love to work with you at some point but with the baby on the way, will be rooted in Bend for a while!

Wondered what you were up to, ask I remember in time past, you mentioned tree work slows in Bend in the winter. Didn't know you were expecting. Congrats, Ian and ... what's mama's name?

Generally slows down, but pretty variable... We are booking into december at the moment, which is unheard of, so keeping my fingers crossed for now. Would love to come up and work with you at some point, always fun to work with other guys in different areas.

Yep, little guy on the way!! mama Nicole and I got married this weekend. Awesome fall wedding! :D

Cut him loose :drink:

Tree climbers' companion has a good skills checklist in the back.

Rajan, you're rewarding his incompetence. Give him two weeks to have a few knots dialed or its his two week notice. He'll learn 'em, or he isn't worth keeping. High unemployment rate gives lots of employee candidates.

He is only making 10 an hour, and the major reason I keep him around is because he brags brush like a donkey and does a very good job with the clean up. Most of the time I never touch brush, not a twig. I have a few climbers I sub with and for when it is a real technical job.

Getting some prospect for a ground man, but not a climber. Erik likes the prun really ing, and I can kill 'em on weekends, four now.

Really would like to find a climber for my sake, and Erik's. At least with the ground lowering system, he has a plan c ( plan a don't do anything stupid to get hurt, Plan b self- rescue, plan c be lowered out).

Back