Looking for an anemometer.

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I'm as decent as the next guy at guesstimating wind speed, not all that good:lol: But after last weeks storm chase in zero visibility I couldn't see the tree's to estimate and the winds trying to pick the truck up etc., I figure it might be a wise investment.
Problem is the damn things are either expensive as hell, not water resistant or only go up to 65mph.
I keep coming across this one http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/Stormchaser_Mag_Wind_Sensor.asp Which is probably what I will end up buying. I didn't know if any of you knew of some other alternatives, particularly Erik for flying. A hand held will work, though not ideal, but it has to be water resistant!
Here in KS the storm isn't "severe" until it hits 60 plus MPH winds, so the 65MPH mark doesn't work for what I need.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a mobile unit Erik, pain killers, I get it! :lol:
This video about has me sold on it, the last min or so they take it to a car wash!
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RKj5KbCn3Tg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess I've just never needed one that read that high. After all, if the wind speed on the ground is 65.... well hell, I rotate at 60 knots on take-off. :lol:

Here ya go Andy! :D
beaufort-scale-cartoon.gif

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't find what you want? Build it! It's kinda ghetto, but I think it should work, I'll try and get some pics up later when it cools off.
I bought a weather station from Radio Shack, wind speed, temp, humidity and rain gauge with weather predictions for $90, bought a large Hustler antenna magnet for $25 and 18" piece of galvanized pipe and coupler. Welded the coupler on a piece of flat stock, drilled a 3/8" hole in the flat stock, bolted that to the magnet and screwed the pipe on. Attached everything but the rain gauge to the pipe and it's done!
Neighbor says he has a brass end cap I can have to screw on the top to keep it sealed up then I just hope the magnet is strong enough!

Back