look out nick

Wow!

clamp1.jpg

Hmm...would you bet your life on a piece of plastic ?

I'll put my life in the hands of a competent, caring individual who cares about his work, and cares about me.

i.e. Nick

ps: also dont eat anything made by uncaring union workers who wear hair nets. But thats just me :)

Nick is the man for splices, no doubt about that! I have a few examples of his mighty fine work, excellent craftmanship and attention to detail.:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
no rated load on there and the way it goes together doesnt look strond enough to hang my life on

I have some of those....they're not rated, at least I doubt it. I only use them for making saw lanyards.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I've checked those things out in the past. They seem neat and tidy. They just aren't strong enough to climb on yet.

Saw lanyards? Not a bad idea! It would also neaten up the pull up rope on the extension ladder...unless you already have it spliced!

love
nick

This is sherrill's solution for a 12 strand splice. The grillion lanyard is the same thing too.
Looks like it would snag in a crotch and wouldn't even fit through the small ring of a friction saver. Maybe not though.

You are certainly right Jonny. But to Sherrill's credit there is a note in their catalog stating that the stitched eye splice is only really good for lanyards and split tails, not recommended for climbing lines.

Only cause it wont go through a cambium saver. I might buy a lowering line with a stiched eye............

Those stitched eyes are fine for climbing lines. They have been available from Edelrid and European manufacturers for years now.

I'd rather just spend the $ and have a splice ;)

Stitched eyes? They're alright. I agree. Just clunky and ugly, IMO.

What's real ugly? Swaged eyes.

image_1593.jpg
this one is sold by patroller supply, I think made by blue water

or there's this one by PMI
UH-PMSS002.jpg

Blech!

love
nick

Stitched eyes? They're alright. I agree. Just clunky and ugly, IMO.

What's real ugly? Swaged eyes.

image_1593.jpg
this one is sold by patroller supply, I think made by blue water

or there's this one by PMI
UH-PMSS002.jpg

Blech!

love
nick

:D I think those swaged eyes would be safer with 6 clamps on them!

Better yet, Just use 3/4" cable. :lol:

Just because splicing rope has been done for over a hundred years and used by folks from every part of the world without any problems doesn't make it safe ya know.

One could just throw a series of seizings on there- Less clunky. better looking, lighter and probably stronger than the swaged nastiness.

Stumper, I think you're right. Those swages look like they'd be hanging right in your face.

I'm surprised there are chafing issues. It seems like a lot of wear in one spot.

love
nick

Back