Loading Firewood to Haul

A guy up the street from me will split and stack one rick of your wood for 12 bucks.
This surprise me but I guess is so .In parts of Ont. the folks buy it in log length loads .The surprising part is they buy it period .I would almost think the stuff would be for the taking but that's beside the point .

Back to the story .One praticular gent who runs the Stihl timber sports series blocks it down for them for 25-30 bucks a cord and is swamped with work .

All this time I figured all of rural Canada was the home of Paul Bunyan types but I guess I have been incorrect about that .

All this time I figured all of rural Canada was the home of Paul Bunyan types but I guess I have been incorrect about that .

Ha! Around here it's full of lazy lardasses and yuppies. Some of my jobs are like taking candy from a babe.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would undoubtably build my splitter, no reason not to.

The Timberwolf TW7 wedge looks like a no brainer, and it shouldn't be hard to fab. Any reason not to go with the box wedge design?

I figure I'll only split trunks, fewer pieces to handle to make a cord. With the box wedge design I lift a couiple of chunks onto the table with the mini and don't have to lift nearly as much as I would with a regular 2 or 4 way when splitting 18"+ wood.

My mini mounted splitter equals no lifting at all. Heck with a little practice now I just 'grab' each round with the splitter and split it right into a pile. Easy peasy.

If you want to do the Box wedge, phone up TW and buy one from them, as it took them a lot of trial and error to get the geometry right.
Here you go Carl, this should suit you.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5g0oHX9HpXU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5g0oHX9HpXU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha that's a fierce processor. I bet that could work for a month and provide enough firewood for the north east Mississippi area.

As cool as it seemed, it's not very optomized. You could shave 2 seconds off the time by cutting with both sides of the bar. It cuts on the top, as the paddles lower that to the ram the log advances, saw starts cutting as the paddles are getting back in position, and you're back cutton on the top.

Vids or it didn't happen!

I got no vid capacity, but I'll get some pics next time I'm chopping into my woodpile. It's certainly no processor set-up. But heh I already had the mini right? Basically small rounds can be 'grabbed' with the splitter and then split onto a pile as high as the mini can reach, which isn't really that high. On larger rounds I'll split them in two and then 'grab' each half and split it again in the pile. It takes having your area organized to make it work efficiently.

Back