Light guide bars

I buy mine in grocery store. It does smell like french fries when its hot. About half price of the cheapest worst bar oil I can find and it works great. Oiler om max and just run as I stole it!

When you run a saw you have a mist around you of fine oil and this you inhale if you like it or not.
I rather eat this than the other stuff.

I think Stihl only makes .325 .063 gauge. Strange having heavy drivers on light chain. My guess is it was done for historical reasons, and wasn't changed cause it isn't widely used chain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 026 and 261 both came .325/ .063, IIRC.

Drive links matter, too.

I've got lots of chain.

I'd like all chains to fit all bars.

Not sure if DL match between any manufacturers.

Ta....
I learned.bar gauge in mm all this .063 .050 stuff confuses me, derp

I think Stihl only makes .325 .063 gauge. Strange having heavy drivers on light chain. My guess is it was done for historical reasons, and wasn't changed cause it isn't widely used chain.

Widely used in Europe, though.

No, Stihl did not invent .063/1,6mm guage. It is a remnant of old days when 1,6mm .404 chain was tiny compared to others and all had it.
At one point it was hardly sold by Stihl here as most used 1,5 or 1,3 but catching on again some some reason.

They do have 1,3mm, 1,5mm and 1,6mm but are told what to sell.

Many here ran 026 with 62dl or 64dl 1,5 Semi chisel chains on 026.. I did to..
Hard to find those 64dl bars though..

It can sure get confusing, and then bar length is another issue. The Stihl, Windsor and Oregon 42 inch bars I run in the 80s and 90s where all different lengths: 1 to 3 drivers difference. So my42 inch chains where always on the margin of running too loose on one bar or too tight on another. It caused a lot of problems. So I just stuck with the Oregon 42 to keep everything copisetec.

I think some engineer liked his imperial size 1/16ths and 1/32nds because .325, .375 and .404 are all on size increments as is 0.0625 with 0.050 being an orphaned concession to just being a nice round decimal size to a thou.

My opinion as a machining, designing kind of guy.

If it is Withworth (BSW) you mean it was very common here. In fact Husqvarna used it on most products up to they started chainsaw manufacturing. They used BSW threads on first saw they series produced, MS90. After the first Model/version of ms90's production was out they dropped BSW completely.
You could think they choose something to call standard and stuck with it, but no...
It still was mixed MM, UNF, UNC, BSPT,

Stihls as a rule are very stingy with their oilers, so Stihl saws have much less lubrication for their bars and chains. Therefore Stihl bars and chains are typically much harder steel than the Oregon products (Oregon makes 90% of all other brands on the market). Because of the oilers, I only use Stihl bars on Stihl saws. Most anything made by Oregon will wear out much quicker with the low oil flow.

The exception would be the older MS440/460/660 'West coast' saws with the full wrap handles. They had high output oilers for the long bars typically used there. Living in Florida I had to special order those oilers to swap them out so my saws would oil more. I'm not familiar with the newest saws but I doubt Stihl has changed their corporate strategy of reducing oil output to the absolute minimum.

Brian,

I thought that on some the bigger Pro Stihl's you could increase the oil flow above the max setting on the adjusting screw. There is a small pin that is located to the side of the oil adjusting screw which stops anymore adjustment, knock that in carefully with a drift or punch and it will allow the adjuster to be increased a fraction more. Possibly not a huge increase but an increase non the less unless you get the high output one fitted.

D.

Geezus.

So I received the Notch 28" bar for husky 395, it doesn't fit. Smh, you believe this?

When you fully screw back the bar adjustment stud, it is just a tad shy of where it needs to be to create enough slack to put on the saw chain.

So I compared the Notch to the Oregon- both bars are same length but sure enough the Notch bar stud holes don't match the Oregon. ](*,)

Geezus.

So I received the Notch 28" bar for husky 395, it doesn't fit. Smh, you believe this?

When you fully screw back the bar adjustment stud, it is just a tad shy of where it needs to be to create enough slack to put on the saw chain.

So I compared the Notch to the Oregon- both bars are same length but sure enough the Notch bar stud holes don't match the Oregon. ](*,)
So make your chains 1 link longer? Or if you buy your chains pre-made then grab your drill and redrill the bar holes. If this is a game stopper for you then I'm not sure what to say.

Can you get it together if you put the chain on without the bar mounted? With the chain on the rim, lean the bar against the studs, and put the chain on. Pickup the whole mess, and mount it to the studs. Success?

I make my own chains. Go resize all my chains? No way. I'll just track down an Oregon bar, they were out of stock at treestuff.

Why F with brand new stuff that is supposed to fit?

Sure a lot of stuff needs to be customized, but drill a new bar? Nah

Back