lenght of ropewrench

Not quite sure why you are using a Rope Wrench with a hitch hiker?

My tether for the Wrench is about 30cm. Allows a nicely tied VT with 3 braids and 2 wraps but isnt too long.

Yes, please explain why you are using or thinking of using a HH and Rope Wrench together.

I think something just got changed in translation from Portuguese. Probably means rope wrench tether?

Reactions: DMc
ClimbHigh, do you wish to divulge your secret tether recipe? I made an Oceans copy many moons ago and even with vectran the eyes crowd my biner. I'm up for hybrid metal/cordage with super thin eyes perhaps. What's your rope/hitch combo, looks like a 3 2 VT Holy Compact Batman! Also, is that a center threaded bolt like on roller blades for the mini bolt thru thing? Thanks

I made a clevis to fit the top hole in the HC with a removable pin. Then used some hollow braid like amsteel or Tenex scraps, spliced then sewn together, add some heat shrink tubing and tape. Its very rigid but still flexible enough to bend around when needed which is really important. Nice thing is you can make it any length you want to match your rope/hitch combo. I mostly run Arbormaster/10mm AP 24 1/2" ; always grabs, always releases easy and runs well in pitchy conifers. I can load pics latter if you want.

I lost the first pin I made. So the second generation pin got a tether. I always position the last cross on the VT between the RR tether and the rope ( bottom pic ) It keeps from wearing on the tether, and in my case saves allot of electrical tape . Also It seems to slack tend better because the rope is being pushed toward the pulley. Anyway Im sure there are ways to make a better looking tether, Maybe a couple of layers of heat shrink tube or ?
IMGP0030.JPG IMGP0004.JPG IMGP0003.JPG IMGP0005.JPG IMGP0122.JPG

Good stuff. What keeps the pin in, just a snug fit? I used a couple layers of shrink wrap on mine. I think my philosophy back then was to keep the extra hitch climber holes open or available, but in practice never have used them. Maybe time for a rethink on my part.

Elder-timer that I am...I recall that some of us oldsters, and maybe a few young bucks as well, poo-pooed the Hitch Climber pulley when it first hit the market, saying we'd been doing the same damn sweet thing with the old CMI mickey mouse two hole micro-pulley for more than a few years.

We were not wrong.

But for reasons I have never been able to figure out, the Hitch Climber pulley somehow is much smoother, with less drag. Just works better. It has to be that the alignment with the climb line and friction hitch is marginally sweeter. Hard to see just looking at it, but clearly noticeable in use.

The third available attachment point is nice...I've used it at least half a dozen times in the last nearly 20 years :D.

For DRT, it's still my favorite system.

Don't they just use wayyyyyyyyyy better roller bearing sheaves? I have a pinto from them and it's like snot on glass

Good stuff. What keeps the pin in, just a snug fit? Had plans to drill it for a spring and detent but the knot on the hitch cord holds it . Extra HC attachment point is nice on rare occasion but I mostly use it for tending the RW.

Back