What Am I Doing Wrong Here? - RopeWrench

Ohhh... Thanks Sean, yeah, it was. (This co. that had the 100% avoidable death.) Sooo... but... dude... like, pretty much every death in tree service is 100% preventable. But, yeah, we do have our families to go home to, and I appreciate your advice. We will watch each other's backs. I guess I was just trying to fly my flag about the fact that you're not exactly talking to the safest show in town. Only two weeks ago I was stupid enough to have almost fallen a tree on myself... and here's the thing... I actually KNEW that it would probably happen, said something before doing it to my buddy, and then went ahead and did it anyway, just because the homeowners were watching and were expecting it to come down. You can't get much stupider than that. But that isn't even what I was talking about with the basal-tie thing. At Eastisde we do a lot of what we call, "pigsty" removals. This means that a climber will go up a connifer while the ground guys are otherwise occupied and just "pigsty" it down (both hands on the topping saw, just blasting limbs off as fast as he can untill he is high enough to fit the top. But let's imagine he didn't do this. Let's imagine that the ground guys had cleaned up under him until he said, "Hey guys, could you anchor me into the butt of this pig, I wanna swing over single line and get this other double top out of the next tree." So the boys anchor him at the base, and the climber then proceeds to pigsty THAT one out. At this point the boys from the other crew who have finished up their job early, come over to "help" us out. "AHHhhh... what's this stinkin pigsty!?" they exclaim, and then proceed to warm up a saw and cut into the pigsty in order make the mess more extractable. Next thing you know the climber is seeing how his pigsty is working to arrest his fall from 94 feet. You get it? I probably wouldn't have thought about this HAD I NOT DONE IT MYSELF about nine years ago, albeit not with a human but with a GRCS. My buddy (and foreman) put a GRCS on the bottom of the Cottonwood he was going to remove, but then changed his mind, and decided to have me go deadwood the Fir across the yard, since he figured he could just pigsty it. Well he pigsties nine thenths of it, I get down from my deadwood, and so then he decides to just have me lower a mondo top out of the cottonwood for him. "Ahhh, but look at this stinkin pigsty! I can't even get to the butt of the tree!" So I start up a hopped up 440 with a shorty bar and start blazing through the pigsty... next thing ya know my tip kicks back off a branch or somethin, and runs up the trunk of the tree. You know how highly-tensioned a GRCS strap is right?...... Dude. Like one tiny little chisel just BARELY kissed the bottom of that yellow strap, and the GRCS hits the dirt. "Hey, uhh... Boss?!"..... "WHAT?!!" "Well, uh... ya mind if I just take wraps around the trunk to get that top?":lol:

Pigsty makes a log pad.

So many tree incidents are avoidable. There are freak accidents.
Once, we hit a hard leaning madrone hard with another forest tree. 10 minutes later, while we were clearing the road some more, it fell.

Could have landed on the tractor operator, if he decided to wait beneath it.

I cut a fallen tree out of the road the other day...first checking for weak trees in the area.

Old tree folks and complacent (not bold) tree folks...

Yeah, man, fer real... checking for Alder snags will save your can!

KYLE!..... Man!... How ya feelin brother???

Sean: Almost fer gotta mention: HUGE, Huge, huge fan of the pigsty log-pad... never a dirt kiss.;)

Last edited:
Grapples pull apart a pig sty.

@Reg uses his his Honda capstan winch to unpigsty.

Neither cuts a base tie.

With a little finesse, you can base-tie high, with a long pull-down tail. That's little with a little 'l'.

Be safe, bro!

Will do Sean, thanks. Never thought of the “pull down tail,” like many of the other useful new school tricks I’ve never thought of. Never totally close yer mind, eh!?

Kyle: WOW. Round 2 eh?😔. What are they nuking you with? Adriomycin? (The Red Devil) Cytoxin? Taxol? Whatever it is it’s all super dirty stuff brother, but it saved my wife’s life. Even though, half way through it, she was like, “just kill me already.”

You have my deepest sympathy, believe me. You don’t deserve it. Just take it like a man and see what God does to ya... that’s what my wife done, and... at the bitter end... she’s darn thankful to have come through er.

Da epoch r is rituxan which goes after the lymphoma very hardcore, then 4 days continuous of a 4 drug combo (including Adriamycin aka doxorubicin aka the red devil). Then they do another one solo after that. The da stands for dosage adjusted, so they track my numbers and adjust the chemo accordingly, pushing but not going too far because of the toxicity. They do the rituxan outpatient, but the rest you have to be hospitalized for, roughly 5 days every 3 weeks. After my very rocky start, this will be nothing, just gonna likely nap all winter, and lift weights like a jailbird when I'm awake :lol: Can't wait to get back in the harness, and to put my welding hood back on.

Last night we were setting up to come a fir. The rope was about 3' short for a base-tie.

I wiggled it up enough, without any stub, help, or thing to stand on. Ezpz. 7' high.

A pole tool (or if you have one around...a branch) can push a base-tie up, easily.

The tail can be redirected to another tree, if you not going to rain heavy limbs on it.

The guy you've just prevented from cutting the base-tie still had the same judgment faculties. Hopeful more informed by experience.

Tree work incidents could be sliced down so fast by a can-do-safely attitude.
Requires slowing down, but so does an ambulance showing up in a job site.
Please say you guys didn't drive the 19 y.o. to the hospital, post 50' fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_090355626.jpg
    IMG_20201017_090355626.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Da epoch r is rituxan which goes after the lymphoma very hardcore, then 4 days continuous of a 4 drug combo (including Adriamycin aka doxorubicin.

Fat chance for you and your welding hood or chainsaw, I think its becoming clear you'll be a full fledged oncologist 'fore long.

Hell no, i want as far away from this crap as i can get. I still can't wrap my mind around all the different genetic testing, i honestly can't figure it out for the life of me. Genes being expressed, overexpression, or mutated, etc.

Tried out the SCAM method this evening on the ground. Seems to work great. Maybe I'll get to try it out in a tree tomorrow. Anyone else using it much? I don't forsee needing it everyday but it would be useful when needed.

I've seen two different ways of wrapping the biner. Freefallin looks to use a wrap and a half. Aerial Traveler looks to use two wraps in one instance. I guess either would work as long as it's more than one wrap. I'm going to experiment with it this weekend and see what it takes to shake it loose.

Back