leaning pine

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I just figured out how to get pics to post so I will throw a few out there. The story to this job was pine keeled over onto house. Its hard to see from pictures but there is a mac-daddy power line right behind it so we couldnt swing it back into the ash. I gave them my price and knew I had goofed when the first thing the guy asked was if I had insurance! I bid $800 and their next bid was $6000, All the other co.s were going to pay to drop the lines and get a BIG crane to go over ash!!!!! 3 of us did it in 3 hours and chipped everything. The customer was speechless!!!

Zipping

more

df

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 18
PCTREE, why are you tackling jobs like this without insurance? And underbidding the guys that are trying to do the right thing by having insurance and workers comp?

Those type of companies really get under my skin because they don't follow the laws and then underbid and take jobs from the guys that do.

Looks like you guys did a good job, however.

jp:D

In MS I'm not required to have anything but insurance on my vehicles.

Where did he say he didn't have insurance? I see where he said he knew he goofed when they asked, but I took that to mean he knew he could have bid higher and still got it.

I have messed up some bids in my life. $800 would be low for that here. I hate it when the next highest bid is a thousand over yours. Good job, getting it done the way you did. I am glad I am not bidding against you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Treesandsurf, yeah I have insurance and workmans comp. I knew Id goofed as people always assume that if you are that cheap then you dont have it. I bid to make $1000 a day with my 1 full time employee. If I feel like we need an extra hand (like with the zipline) my wife comes along and I charge more. If I use the wheel loader or dingo or knuckle-boom that gets added on too. But at the end of the day I make what I put on it.

Nice piece of work... 3hrs, 3 people, $800... sounds alright but I'd have bid higher. Just from the pics I'd have put $800 on the tree and $400 on the wood disposal... and it definitely would've taken me longer. I ain't very fast.

Seems like if the other guys had the line dropped they wouldn't need a crane. Here a service line drop is free with 48 hours advance notice... they don't drop primaries or distribution at any price though.

Great work!! You zipped the high stuff, and used a transfer line on the lower work.
I'd have bid higher as well....but the going rate here is higher than in your area, I'm assuming. I shoot for $1200-1400 day with 2 man crew, and $1800-2000 for 3, $2200 for 4......

However, two things are obvious:

You know your stuff, and did the job the best and most efficient way, and probably the safest.

THe other companies either don't have a clue about how to do the challenging jobs, or were hoping they'd score a vastly overpriced job. That tree looked safe to climb (as much as can be assumed from photos, anyhow). $6000 for that smallish tree= laughable, it seems.

6000.00 seems like Beverly Hills prices to me for that pine. 800.00 is more on course to what we charge up here for a pine that size. Sometimes the one guy with a crane up here will charge that for a tree like that incl. the crane. Looked like a job well done for the pics and I bet the homeowner was happy as all get out. Bet you have a customer for life there and that will refer you often.

Hey Treesandsurf, yeah I have insurance and workmans comp. I knew Id goofed as people always assume that if you are that cheap then you dont have it. I bid to make $1000 a day with my 1 full time employee. If I feel like we need an extra hand (like with the zipline) my wife comes along and I charge more. If I use the wheel loader or dingo or knuckle-boom that gets added on too. But at the end of the day I make what I put on it.

My bad PCTREE, I misinterpreted your post. But your pictures didn't give that picture, anyway. Good job.

jp:D

That pine would have fetched a higher price where I live, about half again as much.

120 miles away, Santa Rosa, figure two to three times that.

Geographically speaking it could have fetched 5 or 6 thousand in a Ritzy neighborhood.

$88 per man/hour seems like a decent rate to me. Well done PC!

Geographic's play such a big part in the worth of a job. Cost of living for sure, but just what the competition and local going rate does too.

You can easily price yourself out of a job if you're bidding out of town.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to own a very busy business in Washington DC. Sold the bus. and moved down here to Charlottesville VA and sanity. You can price stuff at least 3 times higher there than here but I used to spend an average of 4 hours a day in the truck!!:\: Down here I have a house with 7,5acres which is 5 mins to town, my average comute is 10mins and people are nice. I wouldnt go back for 10 times the money.

Nice job, seems quick too!

I hate the jobs I know I underbid, I am always moody during that day.

I try to get $75/man, 1200 for 2, 1800 for 3, more if woods gotta go, yada yada.

Nice job, really! Those White Pines are a shallow rooted variety and tend to tip in the slightest of winds..

As far as you estimate of $800.. WOW! Those were the prices of the early 90's. But for three hours, I'd say you did just about right...

Very well done!

Back