Large Stihl mount 48"

I am not trying to sway your friend if he thinks he needs that big of a bar but I have seen one of those bars at a Sthil dealer. I always thought I could use a bar like that also. After picking that beast up there was no way I would put that .404 48 in. on a saw like a 84 /88. The bar alone was so darn heavy I couldn't imagine how the heck I could manage the bar plus the saw on it. It would be hernia city for me and the saw would be tip heavy to say the least.

I would go 3/8ths pitch with .063 gauge. - .050 would be lighter yet but I don't think it would be strong enough with a big saw like an 84 pulling in hardwood. In softwood the .050 gauge might do the trick.

I am no expert when you get into these size bars but a 36 inch in .404 / .063 has gotten me by for years on both 76's and 088.

That willow would be neat to see. Seen many trees around here like that only very few live. Sooner or later we get called to finish the job after the bark falls off and they start to rot off at the stump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never used a 7 on a tree .I did flip a few with an old pony start D8 one time that must have came over on the Mayflower . Old cable job that was armored up like a tank with plates every where .Old ,,slow noisey .Blew black smoke but could flat walk through a 30 inch oak like it was a blade of grass--almost .;)

Once you get beyond 36" in bar length I think the manufacturers force you to jump to .063 anyways. At least in my bar shopping experiences.

Well Ax I don't know why he thinks he needs a 48 incher .His 660 has a 36 but I have'nt seen the tree .

He had a 42" for the 084 but someone tried to cut a rock in two with it .He said the bar was too screwed up to fix but I'll bet I could have gotton some more life out of it .

With a 48" on either my 2100 Homie which is in the avatar or on a 125 Mac it's about all I can do to hoist the stupid thing .It's not the 40 some pounds of weight but just that fact that long bar unbalances it so badly it's like lifting a bowling ball on the end of a broom stick .

How those guys in the big western woods ever handled those longer ones than that amazes me .I'll bet they were some whipped puppies at the end of the day .

I've got a old 41"( pretty sure about that) .404 in good shape that came off my old 075, would that work?

we have a for 48" for the 880 here, a badass.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 90609 046.jpg
    90609 046.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 90609 049.jpg
    90609 049.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 38
It should fit but I have to see what the little guy has in mind .I haven't conversed with him for a couple of days .

Those pics with that 880 looks like the soft maples around here .They don't get real tall,maybe 70-80 feet but they get fat as a hog after about 100 years ---then they get hollow and thus provide employment for tree trimmers .:lol:

I never used a 7 on a tree .I did flip a few with an old pony start D8 one time that must have came over on the Mayflower . Old cable job that was armored up like a tank with plates every where .Old ,,slow noisey .Blew black smoke but could flat walk through a 30 inch oak like it was a blade of grass--almost .;)

yup--when john deere gave me a free vacation--(ir said i was naughty) i worked for a guy that taught me how to drive a cat--his d8, with a large scraper behind it,cable lift, pony start, heading into winter. and he warned me after the pony started, to be ready to grab the throttle rod if it stuck. if not, goodbye engine!!!! scraped the area down side of the new bridge that was built, and used that sand and dirt mix to build up the road on the south side of bridge. when pulled down, could watch the fan blade--and count em, it would pull down that slow---

A lot of those old long stroke natural asperated diesels could lug down to where you could about count the rpm's . Extremely heavy crankshafts,huge bearings etc .

Even my little D4 would sound like a pair of John Deeres ,probabely lugging down to 4-500 rpms and blowing black smoke like it was burning soft coal .That thing only ran at 1400 no load .Those old D8s' were only at 850 -900 no load but around 1300 cu ,inchs to only make about 100 drawbar horse power .Foot pounds of torque off the charts though .

You have to look at the time period they were built in .Like my old saws,not much speed but nearly unstoppable .

Back