Large oak: pruning questions

Little A's

TreeHouser
image.jpg Greetings to all, this is my first post and wanted to ask what you thought about pruning this large Red Oak. My thoughts are, obviously to remove the dead in the middle of the tree but wanted you opinion on removing the limbs that are growing down...would that be too much removal to stay within the 20-25% removal at a given time. This tree is probably 6 feet at the base. What is the largest limb one can safely remove without rot setting in? I have yet to do any Oaks but have repeatedly dealt with Maples that have been topped and seen the damage that causes. This will be a selective pruning, not a top. Thanks in advance...Greg

Hey Greg, welcome to the Treehouse lots of good people here that will gladly offer help. Look forward to seeing the pick. My name is Mark

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Greg, welcome to the Treehouse lots of good people here that will gladly offer help. Look forward to seeing the pick. My name is Mark

Sorry...I posted the question and the link to the picture but could not figure out how to get the picture uploaded. Will try again later

The picture uploading here took me awhile to figure out so don't feel too bad.

You cannot do it thru "Post Quick reply"...

choose Go Advanced (at bottom right of reply window)

choose Manage Attachments (about 3 sections below the "reply" window)

choose Add Files (at top right of screen)

THEN...this is what it took me awhile to realize

choose "Choose file" in the little pop-up window...this window can be easy to miss.

After you choose the file(s) to send you have to select "Upload"

and FINALLY, your pictures are on the T.House server.

At that point you can arrange the pictures to a certain order you like

Press DONE at bottom right and then you can "Preview post" to see if it really worked.

Of course, your eyes are probably glazed over by now. When you wake up try it again. I almost fell asleep typing this.

Welcome to the House.
.:lol:

Thanks...I finally got it to post with my iphone...so have a look and let me know what you think...thanks again

Can't see much in that pic but from what I can barely see I don't see any main limbs that need to be removed.

Gary, nice pic posting instructions!

Aside from deadwood what's the objective of the prune on that oak? Does the HO not like the drooping branches or are you just trying to reduce some weight on those?

It looks like it's on that woodshed a bit. I'd bring it up off that with smaller cuts and take some weight out of the ends. I'd avoid making any large cuts on that tree.

How are the crotches on the main trunk around 15'? If they have a lot of included bark I'd consider some cabling too.

Lmao. Made me feel like having a Kokanee!

As for pruning. A lot of good questions/comments so far. I'll re-iterate. Pruning without an objective just for the sake of 'pruning' doesn't seem to go well for the tree. If there's no clear objective the customer is in search of then if just cut deadwood and defects if possible.

Pruning is a love hate relationship for me now. I love to prune a tree properly which almost always means less cut then the customer wants or originally wanted. Which brings me to the hate part of pruning. I hate having to constantly explain to people why if we're both looking at a tree they should be asking me where and how it should be trimmed not trying to tell me. I don't do point and cut. I interpret what the customers concerns are and give them options for dealing with it.

something special about a tree that still has it's low limbs that dip back to the ground.

Lmao. Made me feel like having a Kokanee!

As for pruning. A lot of good questions/comments so far. I'll re-iterate. Pruning without an objective just for the sake of 'pruning' doesn't seem to go well for the tree. If there's no clear objective the customer is in search of then if just cut deadwood and defects if possible.

Pruning is a love hate relationship for me now. I love to prune a tree properly which almost always means less cut then the customer wants or originally wanted. Which brings me to the hate part of pruning. I hate having to constantly explain to people why if we're both looking at a tree they should be asking me where and how it should be trimmed not trying to tell me. I don't do point and cut. I interpret what the customers concerns are and give them options for dealing with it.

The reason for the pruning is to get the limbs out that are a danger to the house and the workshop. They are having limbs fall that could damage their vehicles also. My objective is to get the dead and storm damaged wood out and lighten up some of the bigger limbs that could be a danger. Any other observations or pointers are welcome...my main concern is not taking off too much, which is a tendency of mine at times.

Less will definetly be better, otherwise you defeat the purpose the following growing year with epicormic sprouts. I'd look to thin to lighten more then reduce. Also remembering that to much clearance can often defeat the purpose of keeping objects underneath safe by opening up space for higher up failures to accelerate and cause more damage.

Good luck!

Back