Knife Set

• Thread starter Rotax Robert
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4K
R

Rotax Robert

I am looking for a high quality knife set for a freind who's girlfreind is quite the chef. anybody know what is realy good ? say for around $500 to $1000

Rotax

One thing I can tell that's fact do your home work on this. There are a lot of knives out there where you are buying the name only. The actual steel they are made out of is crap
If it where a pocket or defense knife I could be more help.

I am looking for a high quality knife set for a freind who's girlfreind is quite the chef. anybody know what is realy good ? say for around $500 to $1000

Rotax

You give out $1,000 xmas presents to friends? I need to start hanging out with you more often.

Check out Wusthof for heavy German knives, or Global for lighter Japanese knives. Both are high quality professional tools.

Rotax...get CERAMIC. No joke. A good chef will SERIOUSLY appreciate this knife. The best I know are the kyotop series by kyocera. I can't afford the full set, but I bought the $300 6" chef knife early this year and now it is the only knife karina and I use. It holds an edge like I can't even believe.

I got mine from a website called www.ikitchen2000.com. They just so happen to be located just about 4 minutes from my house. But you can buy the knives at many places.

love
nick

I got this one... http://www.ikitchen2000.com/prod/db/prod.php?prodNo=K02KT155HIPD

The price went down 10%....BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!

They are getting to know me pretty good in there. Last time I was in there, the owner offered to sell me the display model of that knife for....$120!!! It was still in brand new (no scuffs or scratches) condition, but I had to pass since I already have one and couldn't justify spending that money on a gift for someone right now.

love
nick

love
nick

How do you sharpen a ceramic knife? And are they more prone to shattering like if I drop it on the kitchen floor?

The ceramic knife does have to be sent back to kyocera to be sharpened.

Karina and I have been using our for about 9 months now. It is the ONLY knife we use. We have about 6 other knives that each got sharpened maybe every 4 or 6 months. When the day comes that the ceramic seems like it isn't super sharp any more, I'll gladly box it up and send it back to kyocera for a few days of service.

I've dropped it a couple times on linoleum floor...no probs yet. It is more delicate that good ol' steel...but it hasn't been a problem yet.

The paper that came with it said not to use the knife to cut cheese. I think there is too much resistance when slicing cheese (notice how I avoided the use of the phrase "cutting cheese") and they are afraid the blade may just snap if you're cutting though some cold cheddar or something solid.

love
nick

good to hear Willie! the supplier I get those from gets them from Japan wood worker, the link I put up on the previous page. the particular line is not in the catalogue but there are a couple others that are in there. I have a few to give as christmas gifts, might even keep one for myself, I mean, give one to the wife for christmas.... :D

Just don't drop it. It will break. Why buy something except to use it?

I live two minutes from AG Russell so, shapening is a breeze.

Fred

I would suggest the same brand of knives that I've been using for well over a decade...HENCKEL knives! Get the "twins" premium brand! www.jahenckels.com The model's changed but not the blade quality!

Bought my set when I was in Germany in 1989 while on a one week U.N. military leave from the Middle East.

I've used them for butchering deer & moose but now just use them for the kitchen. They've held up very well over the years and man-o-man do they ever hold a sharp edge!!!

The big thing to look for in a quality knife blade is a high carbon steel content!;)

I would also look into getting a (* DEXTER/RUSSELL (07623) 12" Diamond Sharpener*), rod.

If your going to spend big bucks for a quality knife set, then you best get your pal a quality honer and sharpener also!

Just keep in mind that your buying TOOLS for a chef so it performance you want and not appearances. With the "Henckel" knives your getting both quality & performance!

Good luck to ya,

HC

Henkles

I got my wife a set of Henkles a few years back.They do fine ,I however still prefer a good old carbon steel knife .I have yet to find any stainless steel knife that can take and hold an edge like carbon steel.

I suppose ceramic would work ,if that's what a person wanted.I don't have a problem sharpening cutlery so I really see no advantage.

Speaking of ceramics,in my collection of insert cutting stuff for the lathe,I have some.They will in fact cut with relative ease hard steel that carbide can't even scratch.It does have it's place. They can glow red while they cut,looks wierd.

Not all that long ago, new regulations came into play (in Canada) in the butchering and kitchen environments. Gone are the days of wooden butcher blocks, now replaced with the white plastic ones! Also, gone are the days of butchers & kitchen chefs being allowed to use the High Carbon Steel butcher knives.

It was explained to me (third party) that the government health inspection folks say that its for reasons on workplace hygene(sp) that the high carbon cutlery will not be allowed anymore. The say it tends to rust more than stainless steel and could cause a health issue. :what:

Don't know about your grand parents but mine liver to a ripe old age and dies of natural causes...not from rusty kitchen cutlery!

That the reason I suggested the Henckle knives for your friend...it meets government approval for use in the kitchens & butcher shops!;)
---------------
---------------

This is a link to a number of Scandinavian knife companies. www.ragweedforge.com

Have a look at the MORA High Carbon knives!!! There is a fellow from Michigan who sells that line on E-bay. you'll have to find it on your own ... Just do an E-Bay search for: MORA High Carbon Steel Knives and look for a seller name "bensoutdoor OR bensbackwoods", he carries them.

HC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got him shopping, Great info guys. Thanks a bunch

I might further add to this conversation that a good set of cutlery is like an investment.If taken care of they will last until your great grandchildren.I have some that in fact belonged to my great grandparents.Those are the best.Likely to be past on to my great grandchildren.

My grand father at one time owned a butcher shop where my father worked as a teenager.He passed the knowledge of meat cutting to his three sons and two daughters plus the art of steeling a butcher knife. In high school I was 8th in the state of Ohio my sophmore year and 7th my junior year in FFA meat judging.

Back