Kiwi Klimbers for spurs

chris_girard

Treehouser
I don't want to start a whole new thread on the KK's if there is already one on here.

If there is, can someone point me to where it is? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, there we go then, there isn't one started here yet. Thanks Sean.

My question was going to be, has anyone used one yet? I have had to remove some large old growth White Pines here in the hills of NH in years past and it just made sense to SRT up to the first limbs, so I strapped my Pantin around my climbers.

Now, I see the Kiwi Klimbers and see that our friends from New Zealand have actually come up with a foot ascender design that fits the spurs. At $155 its a little pricey and I have an extra Pantin, so I will try to come up with a mod that will work.

Do you guys know anyone who has done this yet that could give me some tips?

Here's a little more info.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5KoX7sNrhiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bolted a CMI right foot ascender on the left foot steel klein gaff, used . 100" aircraft aluminum, works great for me on multi stem trees.

Mike Powers sells a plate for attaching ascenders to spurs. He hangs out on thebuzz.

There was a post on here a while back on the kiwi climbers.

As I recall the safety of this method was questioned by several of the Wiseman. Burnham and Dsmc both thought it led to the likely hood of spiking one's self.

IMHO it's definitely a new skill to use it with a knee ascender. I usually just use the sit/stand, I'm not usually going that high up.

...As I recall the safety of this method was questioned by several of the Wiseman. Burnham and Dsmc both thought it led to the likely hood of spiking one's self.

While this is true I would like to clarify my thoughts on this. An open air ascent using a rope walker setup with sharp spurs thrown into the mix sounds like a very bad idea. Probably could work around some of the danger with a good set of gaff covers, but still... But if the intended use was as a slack puller and rope guide for when you are actually spurring up the tree with a top rope, well I could see that as being helpful. In some cases quite helpful.

No problem. I found that link easy enough, but what I'm really trying to do is find a replacement feed roller for my MIG welder.

I'm just trying to find pics of new rollers and parts break down, mine seems too smooth and set too low to work properly. Holiday today so it's shop maintenance day.

Some rollers are better than others, it seems.

I have the knurled one in my Lincoln right now. Kinda liking not having to tote a gas bottle around to well up all my old, thin shit. Plus, I can run it off my Ranger 305 in the field.

I had a brand new COMPLETE set I got from Dale while traveling in NZ in March. Got home, stuck them in our container at work and the things got stolen a few days later never even got to try them out. They are beautiful though, and planning to buy another pair.

jp:D

My local welder fabricated a bracket for my Pantin and offset bolted it to my rt spur. Works great. Doesn't gaff my rope OR MY LEG. $70- complete.

I made a plate to fit a CMI on my steel kleins, I find it great to access wide spreading multi stem trees. I usually get small trees, easy to zip up 30 or 40 ft this way.

Yea, not so sure it's worth all that money. I mean if u already have a line in the tree, why not just rope walk with gaffs on? Ill make my own plate can't b that hard I've fabricated harder and more difficult shit than that. Besides, that cam assembly looks chency.. I wouldn't buy it.

Back