Keeping warm

My wife wears a lot of Merino wool stuff, she loves it. New Zealand is not NEARLY as cold as Montana but they are very humid and the Merino seems to really help. I bought her some Under Armor and she loves it, in fact she only wears it when it is really cold, it works way better than regular long handles. Downside is that it is really expensive. Like 160 dollars for bottoms and tops. I just read the book "South" about the Shackleton expedition. Amazing read about the levels of misery a human can survive. Natural materials worked for those men, but some of the current synthetics are just as warm while being less bulky.

The old timers used to take a pull off the jug, but i suppose Aspirin would not get you in trouble with the insurance folks. :)

You don't have to buy UnderArmor, they make knock-offs that work just as well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Just a heads up, that kinda stuff is usually on sale NOW.

Here's a pic of my leather mittens with wool liners, great for arb work.
When I was logging I would have the full mitten without the trigger finger on my left hand and only the trigger finger on my right.

Attachments

• 20140127_144034.jpg
    20140127_144034.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a pic of my leather mittens with wool liners, great for arb work.
When I was logging I would have the full mitten without the trigger finger on my left hand and only the trigger finger on my right.

How hard are those to climb with? They look really warm!

You can't climb in those.

...right...no easy way out for hands, I was a Snowmaker for ten years and a Ski Patroller for nine. My experience is you gotta take gloves off alot...feet, I go to pack boots even have a pair w / caulks again no easy way if I am in Spikes I gotta change to the Highliners...cold hands and feet at times... sometimes we have had to put saws in the the Truck with heat on to thaw them out

I got thoes gloves willard has, pretty warm but I can't do much in them. I get too hot while I'm working anyway. often have my gloves off half the day. if I have to touch a lot of metal like the ladder or something and my hands get cold, I'll swing my arms for 30 seconds, and my fingers are hot as can be.

How hard are those to climb with? They look really warm!
When it's cold enough for me to wear these mittens I'm sure won't be climbing SRT . I wore them many a job at -25C - -30C climbing on a spar removal with spurs and lanyard and running a saw.
Actually these mitts are a size medium which fit my hands quite snugly so their not clumsy at all. I wear a size 10 or XL glove.
Better to have warm pinkies in extreme cold then fumbling around with numb ones.

+1 on windbreaker stuff... If you haven't already... buy some good wool/polypro liner gloves to wear inside your Atlas Thermafits, heavy wool/acrylic blend socks, change when they get damp. Wear a hardhat liner or skullcap-type warm hat inside your helmet, don't let all your body heat escape from your head.

If you want mittens....They do have "bowhunting" mitten/gloves where you can easily flip the mitten part away if you need to.

Eating right and staying hydrated also goes a long way.

Mike, Put hand warmers under some sweat bands and then use athletic tape to secure them. Positioning them at your wrists and ankles will help warm the flowing blood.

The other thing I recommend is getting some HUGE mittens. HUGE 3xl. 4xl. Big cheap and warm. Fix them to your saddle in the back or whatnot and when 'stopped' you can slide an already gloved into the huge mitten and it will make a world of difference.

Nick, what do you mean by hand warmers? The carbon heat packs used as you describe don't work worth beans down to the fingers, at least for me. Hand warmers is something hotter?

About 10 years ago I went running with a friend. I made a comment to him that my feet always hurt when I run. He asked me why I tie my laces so tight, so I loosened them. It made a big difference and my feet stopped hurting. Growing up I was always used to having tight shoes and never really thought about it.

I always have cold hands and feet and it may sound stupid, but making sure to wear warm AND comfortable shoes, and glove liners has helped.

I went to LL bean today and picked up a pair of smart wool glove liners and a couple extra pair of wool socks. I also got a big box of those charcoal handwarmers so hopefully I will be good to go tomorrow!

Mike, Put hand warmers under some sweat bands and then use athletic tape to secure them. Positioning them at your wrists and ankles will help warm the flowing blood.

The other thing I recommend is getting some HUGE mittens. HUGE 3xl. 4xl. Big cheap and warm. Fix them to your saddle in the back or whatnot and when 'stopped' you can slide an already gloved into the huge mitten and it will make a world of difference.

Good idea with the mittens, never even crossed my mind!

Cold fingers here too, feet not so bad. I have attributed it to a circulation thing. I don't find that keeping my core warm much is a help, can feel real toasty everywhere but the fingers are in pain.
Same for me. I can become all sweaty by climbing, but my fingers still hurt and I feel very miserable.
I use ski gloves if I have to, not so bad, but they are bulky and a pain to climb with or running the 200T.

If your fingers turn more or less white, Raynauds syndrome might be involved. It can be caused by being exposed to lotta vibration.

Back