Just Porting

• Thread starter Timberwolf
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 9K
Yeah, I was just wondering where you were that she had reffered you. What do you advertise on AS?

You gotta be pulling my leg!

Yeah I am but there are parts of Tasmania where there are some seriously backwards people, no joke! Overall they are a really nice group of people but start heading to some of the smaller towns and everybody starts looking at you strangely. There are whole valleys where basically everybody is related.

Fiona permanently moved? I thought she was just visiting a house she had there. :?

You may be right. I know she's sort of on a working holiday but not sure how long she'll be there for.

Yeah, I was just wondering where you were that she had reffered you. What do you advertise on AS?

I've got a chainsaw supply business (chains, sprockets, bars etc plus I'm importing my own BB kits from China/Taiwan). It also incorporates a tree felling business. This is all run after hours though as I am actually the Senior Horticultural Agronomist in our region for a large Australia wide Agricultural supply company. I am well aware of forum rules though and certainly won't be pushing anything here unless I become a sponsor.

It's a little more laid back and casual here, our forum Administrator isn't a raging egomaniac like some others. :P
We're just here for the lulz.

I've got a chainsaw supply business (chains, sprockets, bars etc plus I'm importing my own BB kits from China/Taiwan).

I would like to see a thread on the Chinese 365 you have. With pics etc. How many hours does it have under the hood now?

I would like to see a thread on the Chinese 365 you have. With pics etc. How many hours does it have under the hood now?

Am I going to get abused for buying a Chinese saw again like AS :D Half of those guys only got their knickers in a knot because for once it was actually a GOOD Chinese copy that they felt threatened by.

It's only got about 10 tanks under it's belt now but is going strong. I even had a 32" bar on it a few days ago to cut my 390 out of a log. It ran it pretty well buried in hardwood with semi chisel skip. Despite the Chinese tag it's actually a very good quality saw and at this stage hasn't skipped a beat. I'll see what I can organise as far as getting a thread started goes. Unfortunately have to head off to work now, nearly 8am on the 5th.

There's very little abuse getting thrown around here unless somebody goes out of their way to start it or draw it on themselves. After a while you'll notice most everyone here tends to maintain a level of respect for each other. We're here because we like each other, not to start fights.

Except for that punk Willie, username SOTC. He's a troublemaker. :/:

When I was a kid, there was a running joke about 'Made in Japan', a classifier for everything made that was a piece of junk, from there or anywhere else. Then a Japan trademark became a thing of quality, in general. China is moving in a similar direction, improvement in their goods. It may take awhile yet, some areas of industry get better faster than others, and there will be glitches, like the pork pot stickers recently imported here which were really stuffed with cardboard. :roll:

Not by me. I'm all ears, ok ok eyes I guess to read it here. :|:

There's very little abuse getting thrown around here unless somebody goes out of their way to start it or draw it on themselves. After a while you'll notice most everyone here tends to maintain a level of respect for each other. We're here because we like each other, not to start fights.

Except for that punk Willie, username SOTC. He's a troublemaker. :/:

Thanks guys and I already had that impression here. AS is full of good guys too but unfortunately there are a lot of lurkers that only pop out the woodwork to cause trouble.

That Willie guy already struck me as a problem :D (Only kidding mate!).

I'll get a thread up and running this evening on that Chinese 365 copy. Out of interest I was also sent some bars from two manufacturers and some chain as well (all via one supplier). The bars are Oregon Power Match Plus copies (although blank with no writing on them) and the chain is an Oregon copy but marked E & S on the tie straps. I had some sent to me in 3/8" and .404" semi chisel to test. The bars are pretty good so far although haven't seen too much work so how they wear long term is anybody's guess. By the way, the price I can land these bars at is insane. The chain is about 60% of my cost on Carlton but the bars work out to about 25% of a new Oregon/Carlton/GB bar!!! The BB kits I have been sent have been extremely variable but I have decided to dump a few lines and stick with just a few models. One thing about my little Chinese mate is that he is very very keen to do business and will go to the ends of the earth to help. Although Baileys won't admit it many of the kits he is getting me are exactly the same as the Bailey's kits. Biggest problem in some models is that the rings are crap. I am seling these kits now with Caber rings instead and throwing the supplied, overly brittle rings in the bin.
To be honest I see no real future in the bars and chains and only plan to use/abuse them myself but the saws do have a place for sure, particularly in a country where we get well and truly reamed on saw prices.
On a side note the chain I was sent is very very good. I've tried that Tri-Link crap before and the newer Chinese made GB "EVO" chain and it is absolute garbage. This E & S chain I was sent wears very well and to be honest is probably better than normal Oregon semi chisel as much as I hate to say it. Problem being though that although China can most certainly pump out a good product, consistency is an issue. The chain I was sent is excellent, the next lot may not be. You just never know so I'll stick with Carlton and Windsor for now but it's certainly interesting to try some of this gear to see how it holds up.
Sorry for the hijack :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here or a few of a 7900 that has gone under the grinder.

More to come.

7900 has more lmitations as far as room for porting improvment than the Stihl 460 or 372 husky. Piston skirt is on the narrow side and compression is up about 180 psi stock with 0.34 squish. So really little need for a pop up piston.

Exhaust durration is just a hair under 160 but transfer durration is about 108 so could use a little there, esp with opening the muffler and gaining some exhaust width and area.

Attachments

• 7900-stock-lower-transfers.jpg
    7900-stock-lower-transfers.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7900-stock-exhaust.jpg
    7900-stock-exhaust.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6
  • 7900-stock-piston.jpg
    7900-stock-piston.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 7900-cleaned-up-piston.jpg
    7900-cleaned-up-piston.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • 7900-roughed-in-transfers.jpg
    7900-roughed-in-transfers.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
Have you done any work on the Dolmar BB kits mate? The 460BB piston will fit and gives a bit more skirt width. I've got one being done at the moment by Al (AUSSIE1).

The Mahle setups are absolutely beautiful :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No have not done a 7900BB cylinder yet, but have overbored a stock cylinder.

The BB cylinders are looking better every generation, have a couple 660 and 460 BBs on the go. Finish on these kits is at least as good as some of the original cylinders. Piston are stil a bit rough though.

Yeah they have certainly improved a lot. In fact the latest 660 BB kits I've seen are actually better than the latest 660's P&C's.

Thanks guys and I already had that impression here. AS is full of good guys too but unfortunately there are a lot of lurkers that only pop out the woodwork to cause trouble.

That Willie guy already struck me as a problem :D (Only kidding mate!).

I'll get a thread up and running this evening on that Chinese 365 copy. Out of interest I was also sent some bars from two manufacturers and some chain as well (all via one supplier). The bars are Oregon Power Match Plus copies (although blank with no writing on them) and the chain is an Oregon copy but marked E & S on the tie straps. I had some sent to me in 3/8" and .404" semi chisel to test. The bars are pretty good so far although haven't seen too much work so how they wear long term is anybody's guess. By the way, the price I can land these bars at is insane. The chain is about 60% of my cost on Carlton but the bars work out to about 25% of a new Oregon/Carlton/GB bar!!! The BB kits I have been sent have been extremely variable but I have decided to dump a few lines and stick with just a few models. One thing about my little Chinese mate is that he is very very keen to do business and will go to the ends of the earth to help. Although Baileys won't admit it many of the kits he is getting me are exactly the same as the Bailey's kits. Biggest problem in some models is that the rings are crap. I am seling these kits now with Caber rings instead and throwing the supplied, overly brittle rings in the bin.
To be honest I see no real future in the bars and chains and only plan to use/abuse them myself but the saws do have a place for sure, particularly in a country where we get well and truly reamed on saw prices.
On a side note the chain I was sent is very very good. I've tried that Tri-Link crap before and the newer Chinese made GB "EVO" chain and it is absolute garbage. This E & S chain I was sent wears very well and to be honest is probably better than normal Oregon semi chisel as much as I hate to say it. Problem being though that although China can most certainly pump out a good product, consistency is an issue. The chain I was sent is excellent, the next lot may not be. You just never know so I'll stick with Carlton and Windsor for now but it's certainly interesting to try some of this gear to see how it holds up.
Sorry for the hijack :)
Welcome to the better site MCW! I fond this one as well.

Back