Just Porting

• Thread starter Timberwolf
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 9K
That beats my stocker. An older guy brought it to me saying that he knew I'd take care of it, and he can hardly pick it up anymore....bad knees. Since he didn't say that he was outright giving it to me, I haven't worked on it...barely ;) Good to see the potential, anyway.

C'mon Jay,get in there & start carvin',polishing & opening things up. I'm sure the "old lad" would love to hear that dragon roar to life ,especially in the hands of a dragon slayer like yourself :evil:
Forgive me it's the "koolaide" talkin' :|:

Steve

Haha...I can't much argue with your perspective. ;) I've picked it up and carried to my workbench, then I say naw... I did take off the screen, a big one. I doubt he will ever be wanting it back, bit I struggle with ethics sometimes. :/:

That beats my stocker. An older guy brought it to me saying that he knew I'd take care of it, and he can hardly pick it up anymore....bad knees. Since he didn't say that he was outright giving it to me, I haven't worked on it...barely ;) Good to see the potential, anyway.

Hey Jay, I know next to nothing (actually, really nothing) about the Japanese culture but if I did, I would say you were given a very high compliment. Kind of like a master craftsman upon retiring, sharing some of his most prized tools with some of his co-workers or a "certain apprentice" to keep the trade alive .

Steve

Thanks. The guy is the first person I hooked up with to do tree work here, and I had worked on his saws before. It is pretty unusual to find a person who is into saws and can repair them, to be honest I don't know of anybody else. Everyone runs to the dealers. I am a little proud of the fact that he parked his saw here. Another fellow did the same with an 076, was really his father's saw. When I see them if they drop by, I show them their saws, all nice and clean, ready to rock and roll if they should need it, but they never do. I use 'em, but I also have my own so they don't get heavy use. I'm happy to be the local saw depository. :)

Thanks, Scott. I wouldn't mind turning saw repair into a little business when I get too old to do anything else, I like working on them. The problem is that I have to pay full retail for parts, which are expensive here, and just getting payed for your time and nothing else, doesn't much cut it.

I thought about a little side business when hurricanes come through. Mobile saw shop in the damage areas. Mostly sharpening and selling new chains and such. Think it would do pretty well!

Interesting idea, especially here, where throwing out your chain is one alternative to learning how to sharpen it.

Thanks. The guy is the first person I hooked up with to do tree work here, and I had worked on his saws before. It is pretty unusual to find a person who is into saws and can repair them, to be honest I don't know of anybody else. Everyone runs to the dealers. I am a little proud of the fact that he parked his saw here. Another fellow did the same with an 076, was really his father's saw. When I see them if they drop by, I show them their saws, all nice and clean, ready to rock and roll if they should need it, but they never do. I use 'em, but I also have my own so they don't get heavy use. I'm happy to be the local saw depository. :)

It's a pleasure to see craftsmen who take pride in their tools & equipment. I think it is also reflection of the quality of the work they no doubt will produce. I've worked with many who hardly give a dam* what their work area or machines look like, and I'd say the work they turn out (in almost all cases) is sub-par,but gets the job done .
Not the way I would like to do things ,but I can be proud to think that if someone likeminded was working on one of "my" tools (being a toolmaker),they would say to themselves, "DAMN......this guy did a nice job!!!"
Jay,I'm confident that if I ever got the chance to see your woodwork ,I'd be thinking that exact or certainly higher praise !!!

Back to porting...........What is your best "self" ported saw ???? Is it your "daily" user ???

Steve

Yes that is the same here for the most part. If nothing else being in the area would save tree guys from having to go find a shop if they need something.

Back to porting. My stolen 361 would hold it's own with a muffler modded 460. I sure miss that saw. I am sending Brian it's replacement here soon. I did the original myself. I would like to see if it can get any better with a professional porting job!

Yes that is the same here for the most part. If nothing else being in the area would save tree guys from having to go find a shop if they need something.

Back to porting. My stolen 361 would hold it's own with a muffler modded 460. I sure miss that saw. I am sending Brian it's replacement here soon. I did the original myself. I would like to see if it can get any better with a professional porting job!

What is the replacement ??

Steve

Another 361. Some nice person left it with an unpaid bill at the saw shop. I don't like the shop to have unpaid bills so I helped out! It was about a month old saw someone ran over the rear handle. Never came back to get it.

Thanks for the thoughtful post, Steve. Most of the saws that people bring to me to fix are really grunged up filthy, and I get a pretty good chance to see others folks saws in use and not while at various jobs. People I know in the tree business, it really runs the gamut from taking pride in their tools to appearing to have none at all. The crane operator who brings in a lot of jobs, and also a lot of saws for the other people to use who might be working with us that day, I like to keep an eye on what is going on saw wise, and will tell him that I'm taking one back to my shop with me because it appears to have a problem. He is happy to have me doing it of course, and we trade favors. He's not bad himself, all his saws are freshly sharpened for a job, and he might be bringing up to ten. He's a very busy guy, but he tries to stay on top of it as much as he can. Maybe it's nuts or something, but it bugs me when saws are not working properly where I am working, problems way more often minor than anything else. My education gets furthered as well.

I generally tell people that bring one in that they might get better use out of it if they cleaned it once-in-awhile...and save me the trouble too. It adds a little more money to the kitty, but there isn't a lot of enjoyment in cleaning people's saws. That was one of the reasons why I was opposed to them paving the road that went by my shop, because I would just toss the crud out there through the door and it wouldn't get noticed. :D

I guess my most successful porting job would be on the 036 p and c on the 034 case. The Husky 359 turned out good too, my first attempt with the aid of Brian. It's a known big improver after modding, and a bit of a dog when stock.

I made it to Hobart on the Enterprise back in '76/'77. They were (I think it was because we boosted their economy for a week with 5500 sailors packing pockets full of cash) the friendliest people I'd ever seen. They LOVED us! I was signing autographs on the street, believe it or not. The ship had a rock band that played at a Hobart pub and I bet there were thousands of people there to see the "Yank Rock Band."
I remember there was no color TV and no FM radio, if I remember correctly.

Thanks mate :) Some good stuff here. Bermy put me onto it.

If your the guy from Australia 8).

That's still the #1 place on my list to visit someday. I've priced airline tickets for 2 round trip this year and :O backed off till I retire in 6 years and some months now :boogie:.

The deal Butch had on the big flat top is something I missed out on being on the "boats ".We just could not pull in every where because we really didn't want the whole world knowing where we were at .

It was interesting in Norfolk though because you could tell when a big flat either deployed or was due to dock by the amount of women in the bars .;)

They keep talking about kicking out the US military from Okinawa. The bar owners are in the front line of the protests protesting the protests.

To stay for sure. Leaving would mean the demise of a lot of businesses near base....bars...burger joints, etc.

I made it to Hobart on the Enterprise back in '76/'77. They were (I think it was because we boosted their economy for a week with 5500 sailors packing pockets full of cash) the friendliest people I'd ever seen. They LOVED us! I was signing autographs on the street, believe it or not. The ship had a rock band that played at a Hobart pub and I bet there were thousands of people there to see the "Yank Rock Band."
I remember there was no color TV and no FM radio, if I remember correctly.

They still don't have colour TV or FM radio :D

Bermuda or Tasmania?

Nah Bermy is one of the members here and she's buying a saw off me. She just moved from Bermuda to Tasmania. In her emails she mentioned this site which I'd never heard of. I'm an AS sponsor but this is a good site too with some new faces.

If your the guy from Australia 8).

That's still the #1 place on my list to visit someday. I've priced airline tickets for 2 round trip this year and :O backed off till I retire in 6 years and some months now :boogie:.

Sorry about not replying earlier guys. My Treehouse settings weren't linking to my email so I wasn't getting updates on any replies to posts.
Yep, I'm the guy from Australia :) With the current US to Australian exchange rate it's a good time for me to head there but pretty pricey for you to come here. Thats why I've been importing so many saws lately, they're cheap.
If you do come down under though come to the Riverland in South Australia for a visit.

Yup, we know about Fiona and her recent move to Tasmania. I think Willie was asking where you were located. :)

Back