John Deere buying Stihl?

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 37
  • Views 5K
I don't think there are any real secrets ,they just like to think there are .Some Stihl certified mechanics are good some just average about like any other profession . Best of luck Larry .

I think I'm in about the same boat. I'd probably pursue a career outside of treework if the opportunity presented itself. I just can't think of anything I'd be qualified for and enjoy doing.

I figure if it doesn't work out and JD drops the Sthil line I can still make some inside contacts to the Sthil organization and maybe get my foot in the door with them. I could handle being a Sthil rep going around to all the different dealers and checking on things.

Maybe even going on tour to these different seminars and giving talks on saw safety and handling. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Good luck Larry! I worked for a JD dealer for a while. Wasn't the best paying gig in the world, but it was warm and dry. You get good discounts on equipment, and some of the perks are AWSOME!!!! Someone brings in something to be fixed, finds out it's a ton of money then "Well, why don't you guys just keep it!" Thats how I got my little shredder. JD wouldn't sell the parts to rebuild the engine, but sold an upgraded engine kit $500. Went to another store, $40 in parts and it runs like a champ!!
It was enjoyable meeting and talking to people as well!

Larry ! Just visulize your new job "Parts counter person & equipment salesman"! Opening in the morning drinking your coffee; "ah my first customer,can I help you sir"? Sure, "I need a part just like this one". Do you have your Model & Spec No's ? No, but you know what I want! Phone rings: Excuse me sir; I'll just be a momment ,15 minutes go by,counter customer upset! Two more customers arrive at the counter, all anxious ! Phone customer: getting impatient ! Counter customers mad . The other 2 phone lines ringing ; you answer & put them on hold ! Another customer comes in & wants some help with purchasing new equipment ! Another arrives to get his equipment repaired;he's in a hurry! Write me a work ticket ! One more comes in & wants to pick-up repaired equipment & pay you for it. Bill not totaled;what ! Parts prices not entered ! Got to look-up the parts prices sir ! Another dude wants your help finding his repaired equipment ! The next customers irrate because the stuff he just picked-up dosen't run !!! Now your a "good-will ambasador". Lot's of Luck Larry; you'll need it on the new job! I was there for years serving John-Q-Public & looking foward to each day!:P:P:P:P Tree work is so much easier with less stress !!!!:O:O:O:O

I don't think I could handle it either .Even if it were just working on equipment especialy saws . I do pretty good considering but I couldn't take a steady diet of them . Now if a guy had fingers about the size of soda straws that would be one thing but nobody does that I know of especially me .

Good luck with your plan, Larry! A nice and dry tidy workshop where you can do your thing in relative privacy, is a nice environment to work in.

If I was a saw mechanic, I'd have a little sign on the wall that read, "Sorry, but I have to charge an initial $65 for saws that are not brought in clean of crap and crud, this added to the cost of repair".

Butch, I betcha you could find one at a garage sale or something pretty cheap. Once you have one, you'll never want to be without one. :)

Butch, I betcha you could find one at a garage sale or something pretty cheap. Once you have one, you'll never want to be without one. :)

Used ones are a pretty safe bet, they last a long time if oil is kept in them. Then there are the oil less ones too, but never owned one of those.

Back