Joan Baez injured falling out of Treehouse

Doc

Handsome Polecat
That's how I like my irony served :lol:

This is like the time Neil Young trying to convert a 1950s car into an all-battery car and burning down the warehouse.

fuggin hippies. :D

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-county/ci_16654409?nclick_check=1

1960s songbird Joan Baez had a treehouse built -- without walls -- 20 feet high in an oak tree behind her Woodside home because she wanted to sleep with birds.

The folksinging legend, who once performed the civil rights anthem "We Shall Overcome" before a half-million people at Woodstock, fell from that treehouse Wednesday as she climbed down from the platform.

Paramedics drove the singer to Stanford Hospital, where she was treated and released after it was determined she had suffered only minor injuries.

Baez, 69, was "resting comfortably" Thursday, according to Nancy Lutzow, who runs Baez's Menlo Park production company.

"I sleep in a tree all summer long," Baez told an English blogger in 2008. "I climb up on a ladder, with ropes and things. The birds are right there in the morning. Sometimes they're flying so close to my head I can feel the wind.

"Those things are heaven to me."

Baez was at the forefront of a musical movement that began in the coffeehouses of Greenwich Village in the early 1960s, performing the first cover of a song written by the then-unknown Bob Dylan, with whom she soon plunged into a tempestuous three-year romance.

It must be because I'm just a stupid commie, but I fail to see the irony.

So being against the Vietnam war means you deserve to fall out of a treehouse?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well US slang for folkie environmentalist hippies is tree hugger. She's like the original tree hugger. I guess it would be more ironical if she'd been actually hugging a tree when it fell on her, but hell.

but I have no malice towards joan, i'm an old hippie myself. Just thought it was funny.

Did we have to pitch Joan Baez out of the Tree House to get you back Doc?

I thought you were kinda hippyish yourself, so I didn't quite get where you were coming from, with this post.

I don't see Joan as a treehugger, to me the irony would have been if Julia Hill had fallen out of a treehouse:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well when I saw the Treehouse in the title of the article I knew it was sign I needed to come here in post it.

Hope alls well in Old Monkey land?

You don't have to be sleeping up in a tree to get the sensation of bird wing wind on your face. Stand in the dark in late summer with a light on your head attracting gnats, and the swallows will buzz you. You can attract lots of flying things.

Sleeping in my treeboat, I had a large bat hover right above me once.
Close enough that it was fanning air into my face.
Weird sensation.

In the Philippines, I saw a huge fruit bat struggling to get back to the mountains before sunrise. I was on a 2 to 6 watch, bored shitless flipping a nightstick on a desolate flight line. The wind was blowing out to sea REAL hard and he was flapping for all he was worth. I'd guess he was 3' long and ten feet over my head, barely making headway. It was a full moon and I could see through his big assed bat wings, his bone structure. It appeared he didn't GAS at all about me, he was trying to just get the hell home. It was cool.

In a former life with former wife I had a half acre pond .Just at dusk the bats would swoop low over that pond to snatch insects in flight, like real low and maybe 3 feet over your head if on the pond in a boat . They would dip low and get a drink of water while in flight too .

Joan Baez was indeed an outspoken opponent of the undeclared war in Asia as were many at that time .This was indeed her right to do so .My only objection to that was she put the blame on the service men and women as opposed to the powers that be in government .

A good friend of mine was in the navy during the Vietnam war, regularly going back and forth between Subic Bay and Nam. He suffered some very bad skin disease on his face, he said from the Philippines. I think the base is closed there now...?

Al, are you sure that you aren't mixing Joan up with Jane Fonda? Jane sat on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun emplacement and giggled. Something that has never been forgotten

I found a bat in a tree I was cutting down. It was only about a year ago and was the first time I had ever seen a bat up close, and the first time I had ever found one in a tree. He was tiny but had a mouth full of teeth. He had been stunned when the limb he was in hit the ground. We set him in some bushes nearby.

Back