Is nothing sacred?

Saw a pic on Facebook a couple days ago of a guy with a hammock swivel on his bridge for life support. He was quite proud of the 13$ price tag and the 750lb rating.
I wonder if he’s dead now.

The group really jumped on him, hopefully he listened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crazy to hear about the hammock swivel. It seems it’s easier than ever to be dangerous with inferior gear. The market is flooded with trash. But, people must want the trash because it keeps being produced.

I still have the saddle, so yes, if I can send a pic from my tablet.
The attempt failed. The display of the forum turns to chit when I'm logged on my tablet.
Anyway, the pic wasn't appealing.
I found my old post on the french forum when I explained my problem two years ago. Sorry, no pic there neither, but a more accurate description.
The web sling for the srt point on the Sequoia2 held the thigh's straps by an eye at its ends. The main stiches for these eyes were made by two parallel bar-tacks. Critical stiches here.
On the "good" side (or not so dammaged side), the second bar-tack (nearest to the eye's throat) was still intact while the first one was torn by 25%. The bad side was much worse, with 50% torn on the second bar-tack and 70% on the first one! Just in a few weeks since the last time I inspected it. It made me freeze inside a little !
I ordered a new saddle immediately, but to be abble to work the few days inbetween, I cut the remains of the stiches on the worse side and sewn it again with my own style. That's what shows the pic. Or should.
I left alone the not so bad side because the saddle was put in retirement on the spot by the new one. From an other brand of course. The trust was gone.

OP was over $60. I went to see if it was available and found this under $40 and “CE certificate”. Sorry I can’t believe that’s legal to claim that.

Attachments

• 57CF415C-2BE1-4BBC-97E1-6D4D93A9B938.png
    57CF415C-2BE1-4BBC-97E1-6D4D93A9B938.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Looks uncomfortable. Pretty sure D-rings from a reputable company would cost more than that. I wonder if the certification can be checked from a central database?

friend of mine bought one of those cheapie harnesses, it was so uncomfortable, seems they cant even copy something and keep the ergonomics, they binned it after the first 30 min of trying to use it and setting it up, just couldnt make it work.

Some exporters are using a phony CE mark and if they are caught they say it means China Export.

Sounds about right. I made a quick look when you posted that saddle, but I didn't find any master database of certifications.

Soooo, I bought the harness that we’re all sh*tting on. Before you laugh and throw raw cabbage at me, let me explain: I bought it ironically...I think. Basically, I just had surgery and moving as a whole is not my specialty right now. I'm effectively bed ridden for the next month or so; who knows? Anyways, I have nothing to do, I saw this thread and I thought, "f*ck it! Let's order this harness. I'll just return it when I'm done investigating its CE label and after doing some sleuthing!" And because I'm impulsive, that's exactly what I did.

The harness arrived today and I was somewhat surprised. It had some relative heft to it. The side D's were a little suspect. They felt light, almost like they were made of a zinc or high magnesium alloy (speculating). The bridge that it came with wasn't terrible, but it felt like the rope they used didn't have enough core bulk...is that a word?...maybe a technical term?...core bulk? It is now. It's possible that the stock bridge could meet the standards. All I'm saying is that it gave me that immediate, "yeah, we're switching that out" vibe. The anchor rings that hold all of the webbing straps that connect the bridge, waist and leg loops together seem like they most likely would meet the specifications they are rated for. They have an open ring style, making bridge replacements conveniently easy. They just felt of quality. The webbing volume is definitely sufficient for the WLL they stated, in my opinion. The webbing is substantial in thickness, like what you would feel on a seatbelt, but perhaps plus a smidge. The stitching, although probably sufficient, would have made me feel better if it were doubled.

I digress…I looked at the label on the harness with the CE marking and, according to the guidelines Eric H-L posted regarding the actual appearance of the label, the CE letters are geometrically sound and have distance between them as required. I sought to finalize my investigation with a message to the manufacturer and vendor on Amazon. I attached the conversation (with a robot until the vendor chooses to reply) for proof of work..

I’ll keep everyone apprised; I’ll make a follow up post once I get a response…because I know everyone is dying to know…because being the only person who cares would be super weird. =-D

Attachments

• 2022-10-31 (2).png
    2022-10-31 (2).png
    65.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hope you heal up quick! Might be worth saving as a backup if you think it's safe enough. That's pretty much throwaway money.

Back