Is grcs really worth the money??

I wish the base was ali. Although it'd have to be really beefy, and probably wouldn't weigh much less.

I too struggle with the mounting plate, it would be used much more if it was lighter/less cumbersome.

I wish you could buy a second mounting base as an accessory. It would be great to have the option of a second mount for the bollard as well as the winch.

The visor simplifies things somewhat, but it's still a pain to mount. And sometimes, depending on the shape of the tree, you can't swap out the bollard and winch because of trunk flare.

I believe I got #4 - best rigging device I ever owned, time saving is huge, precision control no comparisons, and don't forget safety.
B4 GRCS back in my cave man rigging days, a common shout to the ground was "TAKE MORE SLACK OUT OF THE ROPE!!"
now being an Old Man mine mostly helps out with Zip lines - but I would never sell it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We want a stein duel Ballard, but we love our hobbs when we use it, it's an older one too

I guess I dont really understand the duel. Couldnt you get the same benefit from two porties and a fiddle block. My guess is that two porties and a fiddle block would be cheaper and much more versatile? I get the appeal of he Hobbs but not the Duel.

I used the GRCS pretty much everyday I was working at the Arboretum. It was a drag literally to climb it to a lot of the worksites but made the jobs so much easier. I now own a HOBBs which I use on average a few times a month; if I had the choice again to buy the HOBBS or the GRCS at the same price I would still opt for the hobbs. I like the ability to run a lot of wraps with larger lines and cranking one man isn't that difficult, although it does not have the mechanical advance a GRCS has. Not to turn this into a GRCS vs. HOBBS thread which we've seen plenty....

jp:D

I guess I dont really understand the duel. Couldnt you get the same benefit from two porties and a fiddle block. My guess is that two porties and a fiddle block would be cheaper and much more versatile? I get the appeal of he Hobbs but not the Duel.

We just got the Stein RC-2000. Its much beefier than the large POW--double the wll, heavier for heat dissipation, top mounting hole for hanging, too, which might allow a bit a slack removal while blocking down, and easier for the initial rope install/ removal, as the rc2000 stays upright due to the top strap. These features are similar on the Dual--higher wll, IIRC, double of a POW, can handle 3/4" ropes, has the ability to use both bollards for one rope for greater heat dissipation. Heavier and pricier than two POWs, slings, and fiddle blocks. You can choose 5:1 or 2:1 on the Stein, with a bit faster on and off than fiddle blocks, I believe. Fiddle blocks can give more MA options and be moved to either rope with all the options, whereas the Stein is set for 5:1 on one rope and 2:1 on the other rope.

Sean, do you see a real advantage to the Dual over having two of the regular single bollards? I often set up a porty on opposite sides of the trunk to facilitate different rigging points. Aside from not having the lever for tensioning, it seems to me that having two singles would trump the Dual. Just my .02.

For most people, two singles would probably do the job better.

If you are doing really heavy rigging, then the heat dissipation might be good.

When using fiddle blocks, its easier to run them horizontally from a neighboring tree to a block at the base of the removal tree and up. This runs the line across the work zone. Sometimes this would be a problem, other times it wouldn't. It would at least require another suitable anchor point.

The Steins overall are built for higher working load and seemingly greater heat dissipation than the POWs.

The older POW, without the preservation cap on the end, allows a cold pack to be inserted. Our RC2000 has a rubber donut plug, with unknown purpose, on the back side (against the tree), which I suspect could be removed to add a cold pack. Maybe its for adding ice water and a cork stopper (have joking, half serious).

I like the 2000 having 4 exit fairleads, but can't say if it is any more practical to be able to take 1/4 wrap increments, as opposed to the 1/2 wrap increments of a POW. We just got the rc2000, specifically for tying off short with the 1/2" amsteel for pulling trees. We needed a second LD in general and a stronger one for the amsteel, so we decided it was the best fit. At Parks, we don't have to rig much, as collateral damage is generally okay if there isn't ample room in the campsites/ Day Use to bomb on dirt , as it means we can get to more trees in a day. Most vegetation is native shrubs. We did block down Doug-fir logs recently over asphalt though, and a Big Leaf maple over asphalt and an electrical box and RV sewer connection.

Scott,

I thought of you when I saw this. New Stein bollard, looks nice. I'll order one, I really like the looks of it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i4A_1Ecj-hY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One thing that I keep forgetting is that tree workers deal with much larger wood elsewhere than I ever see here. For us, the WLL of a POW is more than enough and I have never once been concerned that we would even get close. As far as the GRCS WLL is concerned, its also over kill for us. We mostly take advantage of the lifting capabilities. I like the idea of that Pro Climb bollard. I definitely see the advantage of a fixed bollard over a floppy one. If that Pro Climb bollard is ever available here at a reasonable price, we will get one.

I go conservative climbing, very conservative. After working with a bucket truck I learned go big baby. Your not attached to the tree, so let 'er fly. Looking forward to that. :)

Thats a lot of rigging to set that thing up. I can set the GRCS up in under 4 minutes myself also:dur:

The Stein I just posted is cheaper and lighter, over 4,000lb WLL, and 14 lbs. Around 395$

Available end of Sept.

I thought it was the one WesSpur already sells for $575. It looks just like it, anywho. They show their single Stein weighing in at 60#+, however.

The Stein single and double bollard are listed at 60 pounds, so its likely just a typo about the single being 60 pounds. Listed for 575.

I saw something about this one being available in September as well, so it might be a new model.

I wish the base was ali. Although it'd have to be really beefy, and probably wouldn't weigh much less.

I too struggle with the mounting plate, it would be used much more if it was lighter/less cumbersome.

You can buy just the base. We bought one this past spring. I spoke with Gregg Good and he told me to check in wtih Luke at Tree Stuff. I had also talked with Tom Hanson outta Clearwater, FL who said he could get one for us too.

Back