Internet outage!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know how many fibers there are in a optic cable. I assume thousands. I do know that each one has to be spliced in a controlled environment. They have to bring in some piece of equipment that is environment controlled to do it. Weld each fiber together.

Yep. That stuff is crazy expensive. Normally when it's broken they have to replace the whole section, which is a huge sum in and of itself. Can't imagine how much it'd be too bring in a portable clean room to put over one to splice things back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no one else would hit it. Lol

3 days? That's slacking, get it fixed already.

We had a power drop that crossed the road get ripped down and it pulled the guy wire off the pole as well. The road had been repaved so many times the wire was less than 13 feet off the road.

The power co. came just before dark and hooked us back up. I went to look at the job and they had run manilla rope to a sapling for a temporary (I thought) guy wire. I figured they would be back to put a new one in shortly. After a week or two I called and told them they needed to.

The drop still looked low, so I measured it. I told them they needed to raise the wire before it got ripped down again. They had to put a new pole in. They probably didn't like me too much.

My Dad caught a guy wire with farm equipment and pulled it out. After a few years I could tell the old cedar pole was starting to lean (the wire went around a corner) . I called the power co. to tell them I had a guy wire down. A Oriental lady took my call. An hour later a shirt and tie guy showed up and said "you have a live wire down?" I laughingly pointed out the guy wire.

A crew of 4 in 2 trucks showed up. They wanted to know where. When they couldn't drive out there they said why don't you just let it fall down and we will put a new pole in. They finally walked out and put a Chinese finger trap splice on the guy. So hard!!

I failed the physical to be a Navy diver - my eyesight. Nowadays, I imagine they woulda just done that eye operation. I always wondered how my life today would have been had I passed. My plan was becoming a diver, then a SEAL.

Did u even try out for BUDS butch. Just wondering.

Never know, you could have probably made it.

There were three fiber optic lines across the Mt. Hood NF when I did road maintenance and management work there. The heavy duty one carried major traffic from Portland to the central Oregon area around Bend...a big high tech zone. If I had ditch work that were to sever that line, word was the Forest Service would be liable for costs of $50,000 PER HOUR until it was back on line...on top of the repairs, which could have been in excess of a quarter of a million dollars, we were warned.

I ALWAYS called for a locate service, no matter how miniscule the work on those many miles of roadway might have been.

My bud was digging in his own water line from the road. He rented a Ditch Witch and it crapped out on him. He called the rental co. and a guy came down to fix it. He said what you gonna do when you get to the buried phone line? UHHHH.... Not fiber optic but still costly big bundle of wire to be spliced. I don't get that lucky.

Back