Interesting old Stihl...

Burnham

Woods walker
Scrench :D!

Found this item in the second hand store the other afternoon. I've never seen one like it, have no idea it it really is old, or even if it's actually designed for use with a chainsaw.

Anyone else have, or have seen, similar? Or have info about it?

Attachments

• old stihl scrench 001.jpg
    old stihl scrench 001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 91
  • old stihl scrench 003.jpg
    old stihl scrench 003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 91
  • old stihl scrench 002.jpg
    old stihl scrench 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 91
  • old stihl scrench 004.jpg
    old stihl scrench 004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 91
I've seen them ,similar but not made by Stihl .The only thing I can say it that was most likely used in the days before Stihl used the large bar nuts of today which are the same size as the spark plugs .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I entered the part number in a search at the Stihl USA site, got nada for a match.

Might be so, Gary.

Though I don't need a shorty scrench to get at the bar nuts on any of my large Stihls, all of which wear 3/4 wraps. I don't think I've ever actually used a saw with a real, true full wrap handle.

More info, I use a tool that came with my STIHL weed wacker or STIHL blower. It has a 19mm socket that has a handle and is open on the top.

Part number 1123 893 3400

Google search, Stihl 1123 893 3400. Use updated new number = 1129 890 3401 now combo

Aha I've got a Stihl with a full wrap and I'm not on the coast either --of course the 048 with came from Oregon .:lol: It is kind of a pain to get the back nut though .

Alrighty then...so not a chainsaw tool at all.

Yes it is.
I got one with my first real chainsaw, actually the onliest tool sold with it.
It was a 021, around 1995 I guess, long before I came to treework.
At the time, I wanted a good enough chainsaw I can buy (or wanted to put the price in) for some cleaning work and firewood at my parent's home.

It's probably the tool they issued at the time for outdoor equiment. I have one similar that came with a poulan. Not near as nice and fancy though.

I've got a couple of them .One that works great on a reed valve Mac with a full wrap .If not you about need a socket with an extension to get the back nut .Another is a little bitty one .I have no idea what it fits .

Mmm the Stihl with a full wrap needs a socket .That saw does not have the large nuts .

Yes it is.
I got one with my first real chainsaw, actually the onliest tool sold with it.
It was a 021, around 1995 I guess, long before I came to treework.
At the time, I wanted a good enough chainsaw I can buy (or wanted to put the price in) for some cleaning work and firewood at my parent's home.
You're correct Marc. That same scrench came with my Stihl 066 in 1992. I thought "what kind of a piece of crap is this thing".

No it was a screwdriver .

Aha..for the chain adjuster. Even the screwdriver that came on the newer scrunches for the saws with the older style adjuster by the opening, they only work in a useless kind of way. Often the same with the side adjusters, the driver a bit too wide for the adjuster screw slot in the side cover.. Those scrunches are pretty generic, the manufacturers don't seem to pay much attention to them. A longer handled tregular screwdriver that fits the adjuster perfectly, is considerably more enjoyable to use, I find.

I've used them, I like them on the wrap handle saws. Well the wrench part, the screwdriver end breaks easily.

Ha ,most mini Macs did go to the dump after they had sat on a shelf for 20 years because they wouldn't run .

Say I've got a scrench made by Stihl that has a t27 torx driver instead of a screw driver gizmo .It came with a whole box of Stihl goodies a guy shipped by mistake which included a stump vise that I have no idea what I did with it .I offered to pay for the stuff but he declined then shipped the correct order .Stuff happens .

I have a Torx scrench. Goes to work in my little chainsaw toolbox every day. Much better than those silly little L shaped black torx tools.

Stihl conveniently supplies on of the torx screnches with the brush cutters. Down side of course is no screw driver. But handy non the less. I just went and bought a T handle 27 torx couple years ago. Much better tool over all. The scrench torx is pretty soft metal.

Ha ,most mini Macs did go to the dump after they had sat on a shelf for 20 years because they wouldn't run .

Say I've got a scrench made by Stihl that has a t27 torx driver instead of a screw driver gizmo .It came with a whole box of Stihl goodies a guy shipped by mistake which included a stump vise that I have no idea what I did with it .I offered to pay for the stuff but he declined then shipped the correct order .Stuff happens .

I have one of those, too.

The neat part about the torx scrench is in case you have remove a cover or something if you are in the boondocks .The down side is you need to carry a screw driver .Well I do anyway but I think I've left a trail of them hither and yon .Either that or a squirrel stole them when I wasn't looking .

Back