Interesting Gaffs.

of all the spur changes I have seen over the past few years, the carbon ones seem to be the only ones that actually made a big difference.

If someone was on a budget, i would recommend buying alum. ones with the cadiallac pads (maybe).

(using a lap top right now. Sure takes some getting used to. hard to type)

these were one piece gecos and it was around the gaffs. the guys at my local arb shop said it happened to some other dudes too. man they are light though!

yeah i thought so too. iv had the same steel spurs for 8 years,dont mind the weight.

these were one piece gecos and it was around the gaffs. the guys at my local arb shop said it happened to some other dudes too. man they are light though!

The only carbon fiber spurs on the market are the Geckos.

Too bad you don't have more specific information about this.

The first generation of carbon fiber spurs (just like the alum Geckos) had some problems with the manufacturing process. (forced injection molding process).

That problem with the manufacturing process has been long resolved. In fact only a very few first generation carbon fiber spurs were released at all.

Maybe because your dealers are all in Aussi land, the dealers are out of touch?

The manufacturers are responsible folks, in fact when the alum ones had problems, they yanked them off the market.

I have been beating the hell out of my carbon fiber spurs on Eucs, pines, etc. and I walk around on them on concrete--no problems whatsoever.

I am sure they are not as durable as say some steel ones, but the weight savings is so much that it is worth it to me.

Even the titanium spurs I have are much much heavier than my carbon fiber spurs.

So far, you are the only one of hundreds of folks I have talked to who mentioned any problem with the carbon fiber spurs. I have talked to climbers in europe, the U.S. and Australia. No mention of any problems except for this rumor you just mentioned.

Back