Insect and bites

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$2660.00 for a husqvarna stump grinder. For a start up one man company, that would be excessive expense. Right!

Jose, charge the client say, $200 to grind the stump, get a local guy to do it for $100, keep doing that for a while then buy a grinder.

That is a idea. I did have a phone to a guy that only did stumps, he charge $75.00 and cut you a brake on multiples. Go to look for the #.

I did, look at the vid, the functionality it look very steady and the construction look strong, I am asking, did you build it you self or got it built at welding shop. Either way need to know the cost, and it will be even better to know what kind of engine is it. What is the cutting wheel make of. I have been building a prototype in the back of my mind. I have thought of using a disk brake wheel with a axel and axel receiver for the cutting wheel. Will drill disk add 6 pieces of metal on each side . That is as much as I have come out with.

Jose, completely built from the ground up, I welded, machined and fabricated all of it. I have a huge inventory of used parts from my shop, I have a metal lathe, milling machine, welders and all sorts of metal fabricating tools. What you are looking at would cost retail about $3000 CAD to purchase, engine and cutting disc being the most expensive. Your idea of a disc brake is not a good one, it would be too thin in places, not ment for side loading. I turned, layed out, machined and balanced the disc I have to fit standard stump grinding pockets and teeth. Alone that was 12 to 16 hours of labour in that. And I'm still not done, I need brakes, safety kill switch, skirts and a guard or two and another set of pockets and teeth. I've been working on this project for a few months now, with a lot of designing and redesigning bits and pieces. Making a filter housing, carb adapter, riser pipe, and mount to hold it on the engine took 4 hours, just got it done today.

Jose, your best bet would be purchase and recondition a used stumper, or get financing from a dealer.

Chris, yeah, I plan on the smaller stuff, but I've done a 30inch ash in under half an hour, about 12 inches deep. I have a larger disc to make, but I'll save that for a winter project.

Jose, a quick look online at Husky's site said $4099. Did you find one for $2600?

You are looking at it wrong. The brand new, professionally built and tested tool is for making money.If you can charge $200 per stump, 25 stumps later, you're paid off, if you're not paying wages or Worker's Comp for the operator. Some extra money is allocated to fuel, filters, oil, teeth, etc.

While you're learning about climbing removals, you can make some money off each removal through grinding. Not the same hourly as a climber would earn, but all relatively safe work.

Personally, I don't like to grind stumps, but am coming back around to the money to be made. I need some more time for some TLC, but have more pressing stuff to deal with. My groundie would like to pull some levers for a while, rather than chipping brush.

Since I do this part time I wait till I have a handful of stumps, then rent a grinder for the weekend. The first 3 or 4 stumps pay for the rental, then its easy money after that.

That is how we do it.
Anything up to 1½ foot diameter, we'll do ourself, bigger than that we sub it out to a company that has a 138 HP Vermeer grinder.
Neither of us enjoy hanging on the Bandit all day, chewing away at a big stump.

I used to have a reliable guy do all my stumps, but he got real busy and put on two others. Then they got unreliable, so I bought my own.

It paid for itself in six months. If you buy something the work seems to follow along, has for me anyway.

Steve have you used Neil Forster for stumps? He seems to be the busiest stump guy around

Now that's weird, I woke up this morning thinking of a Neil Foster, might not be the same one though. Haven't seen him for years, he was doing tractor mowing last time I saw him.

He did have a grinder once. Married a daughter of an old tree guy near me, he'd be late 50's now and might have a son about 30 something come to think of it, time sure gets away.

Jose, I own a small (Rayco Super Junior w. 25hp Kohler engine) stump grinder.
The last couple of years I've used it as few times as possible.....the bloom is off the rose.
It is about as fun to run as watching grass grow, even if the teeth are sharp. They don't stay sharp long - this is rocky ground.
It is a high maintenance companion. sharpening teeth, greasing a couple dozen zerks, etc. replacing broken / worn out parts.
I've ordered green teeth (TreeStuff) for mine, to see if I can rekindle the love affair.

Jose, I own a small (Rayco Super Junior w. 25hp Kohler engine) stump grinder.
The last couple of years I've used it as few times as possible.....the bloom is off the rose.
It is about as fun to run as watching grass grow, even if the teeth are sharp. They don't stay sharp long - this is rocky ground.
It is a high maintenance companion. sharpening teeth, greasing a couple dozen zerks, etc. replacing broken / worn out parts.
I've ordered green teeth (TreeStuff) for mine, to see if I can rekindle the love affair.

Yea I run something similar, its definately the right machine for my operation though I'm rarely in a hurry to load it up and grind stumps, rocky ground would be a pita. Our local climate has dried out significantly meaning it gets very dusty, its not glamorous work stirring up a dust storm.

Stig, I'm assuming you meant to say you'll grind stumps up to 1.5 metres..... surely that machine can handle 1.5 ft with ease

Nope, I'm lazy when it comes to stumping.
We'll do the small ones in gardens, anything bigger, we let those other guys at.
As long as I got plenty of work, I'll rather do almost anything else than grind stumps.

Find it, they where grinding some stumps for the church, I talk to him and he told me $75.00 stump. 20151213_152256.jpg
They did a great job, the law man saw it, you can no tell where any trees where.

Nope, I'm lazy when it comes to stumping.
We'll do the small ones in gardens, anything bigger, we let those other guys at.
As long as I got plenty of work, I'll rather do almost anything else than grind stumps.
Amen to that. My hat's off to those of you who actually like to grind stumps.

Back