In the stone age??

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 80
  • Views 9K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't had issues with my pads hurting my legs yet, but I have had my feet hurt from being on the gaffs. Right now I've been using redwings, but I'm thinking of trying a pair of wescos next. The fabric in the redwings in the back where the ball of my foot sits has torn from taking them on and off thats a little uncomfy. Also the first week I wore them both my big toes went numb. Other than that my redwings have held up ok, as far as outside damage from twigs, but I also oil them religiously.

On a side note, I don't think Michigan has any trees that big. The biggest I've been in is a 100' pine, and thats a rare size, most are between the 60 - 80 range. I guess if I get better at this climbing thing I'll have to move out to a state with some good sized trees.

Size maybe a smidge small?

Wescos are a good, strong boot. I expect you'd find them more comfortable on the spur stirrup.

There are footplates available for Buckingham spurs, might fit Kleins too. Add some extra weight to be sure...one of my climbing partners swears by 'em for foot comfort.

Come to California Sytherstrike, we've got some fair size eucs n stuff for you to climb!

jomoco

Size maybe a smidge small?

Wescos are a good, strong boot. I expect you'd find them more comfortable on the spur stirrup.

There are footplates available for Buckingham spurs, might fit Kleins too. Add some extra weight to be sure...one of my climbing partners swears by 'em for foot comfort.

I met a woman climber that uses those footplates and climbs in tennis shoes. I thought they looked pretty comfy, she told me the only down side to the foot plates is they like to move around alot if you bury the spike too far also you can only put them on steel since you have to drill holes to attach them, so that would make the weight go up.

Hia Butch, my name is Barry.

I fear you overestimate these Douglas firs, Paul...they run about 100 feet shorter that Mr. Beranek's beauties; in the 225-250 foot range and DBH 45 to 60 inches, if I recall correctly.

Nonetheless, nice sized trees to climb, work in, and especially rappel out of :).

They'd be quite nice to fall, too.:D

I met a woman climber that uses those footplates and climbs in tennis shoes. I thought they looked pretty comfy, she told me the only down side to the foot plates is they like to move around alot if you bury the spike too far also you can only put them on steel since you have to drill holes to attach them, so that would make the weight go up.

They don't need drilling...they clamp around the stirrup.

They don't fit Bashlins.

I hate the bulkiness of the caddys. I'd like to give those little ones a try. I wear kneepads anyway, I bet I would like them better.

Butch, I have a set with less than 6 months use on them. Holler if you want them or just want to try them, we can work something out.

Well heres a better picture of the pad, to give you an idea of how they will fit. I like that the strap gets tight on the steel and not your leg, it kinda pulls your leg up in the pad. It also makes it so the the spike is always at the same angle, but those caddies look like they do the same thing:
pad.jpg

Also heres a pic like if you were looking at them in the wesspur catalog.

bootpad.jpg

My names Barry and I've never had the upper stap fall out, it fits super tight in the bracket on the side. When I climb with them, I've never had them move on me.

I think one you would suffice.

I guarantee you will like them.

My names Barry and I've never had the upper stap fall out, it fits super tight in the bracket on the side. When I climb with them, I've never had them move on me.

Hey Sytherstrike, I think your steel insert leather Bashlin spurstays are the bomb mate!

I use the same stays as your's on both sets of my Buck Titanium climbers, one with pole gaffs, the other with tree gaffs.

Old school is just fine with me too young man!

jomoco

If you find those spur pads uncomfortable, this is a fine upgrade...and you can still call it old school if you like :).

These spur pads pictured in this post are called "caddies" aren't they? They are what I have and I like em, but I was getting a little confused by some of the subsequent posts as to what they are called. I thought MB for example already used these pads pictured and called em caddies??

Back