I'm a Dealer Rep!

I know little, but it seems to me that the way to have maximum lift capacity is to have the ability to lift close in on the side of the machine. That is how it works with a mini backhoe on tracks with a grapple, anyway. Perhaps on wheels it is a different thing?

No. Same with a mini Jay. When I "heal" a log I have less capacity with my machine than if I picked it up in the middle and rolled it closer. Forks are an excellent example of this.

I agree, Bud. That's why for big wood I like my tong hanger. With it, I can set the tongs at the back (closer to the machine) and increase the lift somewhat.

I wonder if there could be some usefulness to have a longer bar above that you could hang two chokers from when wanting to move larger logs? It seems a more stable load than one tong, albeit more time to get to lifting.

I plan to set up the extra mounting plate with a hook on either end of it so that I can hang two sets of tongs for that very purpose, Jay. For example, if loading logs over 8' long, they could be carried in a more stable fashion with the two sets versus one set.

Sounds like a good idea, Scott, less swaying about. Though chokers are much more common when moving logs with a crane, when a rush is on, we will sometimes go to using a large single tong. Not getting below the lift is the hard law, but in a lot of years, I still have yet to see one slip, though it does seem like a distinct possibility. Very effective tool in the right circumstances.

Careful with the both tongs. One has to take a good load in order to bite hard enough in the wood to hold it.
It could work with 2, for me, only if the tongs are very widely spaced, like near the log's ends. In this case, the load would be half the log's weight and almost stable.
With a log much longer than the tongs spread, the log tends to be in a balancing mode during the travel, as the tongs are relatively nearer the COG. This makes the load (half weight) can wobble from full weight to zero, then the "lightened " tong will lose its grip.

That makes sense. I'll only be using the double-tong method for moving 8' to 16' logs, low to the ground, and not very far. I just know loading over the side of a trailer, having two points of attachment will yield better control.

Belled chokers, perhaps?

Chokers would not yield enough lift height. Just two sets of tongs should suffice for what I have in mind. I understand the danger of one set losing its set, but as I said, I only intend to use them to lift/load logs, carrying them only a short distance. Then again, I don't have the plate set up for tongs yet, and may indeed never even get to that point.

In my mind I see a constant disengaging of one of the tongs in the set. The load would have to be solid in each tong and not become out of balance. Dunno...

Tongs tend to bite in pretty well, even after the load is taken off they stay lodged. Disengaging them sometimes calls for a good kick. Often they won't just drop off.

I think I understand what they are worried about. I think each set of tongs would have to be in outer 1/3 of the log, looking at it lengthwise, with the middle 1/3+ centered on the machine.

I don't think there's a concern. If/when I ever get it set up, I'll take some pics. With one set, the log can tip either way, requiring an almost perfect center attachment for balance. With two sets, 40" apart, (that's the width of the plate, I think), there will be much less "tippy-ness" and it will require less finesse at centering the attachment point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's true, Scott, unless the COG gets outside that 40". At that point the log would disengage the opposing side's tongs.

I still say use a grapple or forks!:P

Just an update:

The Gehl 140 was nearly sold, but the buyer had to back out due to financing issues and the truncated timeline for the year end deal. So, the 140 we can offer a discount on is still available for purchase.

Gehl is implementing a 3.5% price increase across the board effective Jan 1, 2013. Granted this is short notice, I just found out myself. However there should still be time to place an order if someone is wanting possible tax benefits as well as the 2012 pricing.

Merry after Christmas

Jump in on Carls thread here, the Avant is back

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VCuz06hesKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
yep same as the ole AL20 just better - heated seat on this one is a nice Minnesota option

Need Carl "spielberg's" help to video this little baby

After the Italian Fiasco, I pretty much felt burned by oversea's Mfgs. I still feel buying American is a very very good thing, but these little guys are about half the weight of the AL140. Everybody talks about low impact on Turf, this is now the lowest impact sit down Arty you can get in the US (2150#). It is basically the same machine as the Blue one in the Gehl Wars video.
Money? Base Avant 420~25K, AL140 Base~28K, Boxer 532 Miniskid ~ 25K
I'll have to make a better "Avant wars" video now.
Getting educated on options and the bigger models
Avant America plans to bring in container loads monthly, setting up computer parts ordering, and working out Service plans. I get a strong feeling these guys are doing it right and are in for the long haul.

comparison photos, The Avant lifts 4" higher than the Gehl 140!, and about 2' higher than the old Al20s

Attachments

• P1010415 (800x600).jpg
    P1010415 (800x600).jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010418 (800x600).jpg
    P1010418 (800x600).jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 19
The larger Avants have nothing to offer compared to a Gehl for doing tree/dirt work, and their price point in comparison is out to lunch or worse.

Gehl for the win, aside from the AL419/420... those offer something Gehl doesn't.

Ooo... the Avants do come standard with a sensor on the rear axle that detects when it's getting light in the rear. That's something they all have that Gehl doesn't. I forgot about that until I heard it now watching Dave's video.

I can't "Spielberg" a better operator into the video from Final Cut! That was atrocious!:P

Back