I just joined Sam's Club

Even though I hate Walmart with a passion, I will admit to having a Sam's membership and using it frequently.

I joined yesterday, just for the cheaper diesel fuel. Although I may end up going through the store at some point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even though I hate Walmart with a passion, I will admit to having a Sam's membership and using it frequently.

How do you rationalize your different emotions? They are the same companies, aren't they? Just operating differently? :?

Don't they both have the same moronic employees?

I like buying a bunch of the stuff I know I'm gonna use.

Like canned air, I bet I can buy a six pack there and it'll come out cheaper.

Right? Ain't that how it works?

I hate Wal-Mart, and their business practices. I stopped shopping there about 4 years ago. 90 percent of what they sell is made in China, and the rest they've coerced American manufacturers into producing for basically no profit.

You will find a few things cheaper at WalMart than Sam's.

Yeah, that's the theory. But you gotta watch them cause they are trying to stick it to you.

Please give me a list of businesses that aren't, would ya??? :P

I joined yesterday, just for the cheaper diesel fuel. Although I may end up going through the store at some point.

So gas will be cheaper there??? Sweet.

we have wal mart but not sams club here. no member ship required, i got there on rare occasion

How do you rationalize your different emotions? They are the same companies, aren't they? Just operating differently? :?

Don't they both have the same moronic employees?

I cant, yes they are the same company.

For the most part yes the employees are no different either.

Although both stores, (which are located next door to each other) are always busy. Walmart is always crazy busy, and most of the shoppers are as moronic as the employees. I always want to strangle somebody.
Sams, probably due to the membership, is not quite the madhouse, although the checkouts are always a mile long. Plus everything is packaged for bulk sale.
Basically, the targeted demographics are different between the 2 stores.

With a business membership, the guy said I could come in as early as 7am while those with regular memberships can't come in until 10am. I also remember the mile long checkout lines from many years ago shopping there with other people. I have many times abandoned a shopping cart and walked out of a store rather than wait 30 minutes to pay. If I ever do go into the Sam's store then it will be before 10am.

Yeah the business member's hours are nice!

One thing here anyway, whenever I go, I need to remember to bring along a check. They dont accept Visa/ MC (only Discover and some others) credit cards. Since I only have Visa and MC, a check is my only option.
They accept debit cards from any bank, but not business debit cards, even during business members hours.

If that makes any sense.

WTF? No Visa or MC? Well, that pretty much decides that.

The gas pumps only take credit cards, no cash. And my business Visa worked just fine at the pump yesterday.

It may be different at your store Brian.

It does suck to drive all the way there and realize Ive forgotten a check. :X

When I lived in Orlando, I had a membership to the one in Fern Park. My mother-in-law lived out there and we went often. We don't have one anywhere close to us down here.

My mom shops their a lot, although not as much as their aren't 3 boys in the house to feed anymore. I personally have bought a lot of stuff from there, electronics, cloths, few other things. Just recently my mom got a coffee maker that retailed online at many stores for $1500+. $400 from Sam's. Can't beat the closeouts.

Oh ya, Walmart sucks.:D

You have to really know your prices (per item/ounce/pound/etc) to save money at the warehouse places. I buy store brands as often as possible and I've never seen a significant savings on those things.

BUT....if I had one near, I may shop one just to cut down on the ridiculous amount of packaging in single packed items. That's always irritated me. What a waste.

Co-ops used to be good places for buying bulk. You'd bring a jar or container in and simply refill it and pay for the product only. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, good stuff.....they'd have it in gallon (5 gallon?) jugs to refill from. Some places may still do that, but most I've seen have gone main stream.

We used to shop there a lot. Wife always thought it was cool to buy in bulk like that, not sure we saved any money though.
The closeouts are the shiznit!!! But like the others say, you have to have an idea what you would pay elsewhere to not get burnt!!!
And what they have changes every week, you may want to wait until next week to buy something. Next week comes and they don't have it anymore! Been there before:cry:

dont have'em up here that I know of. I still dont shop at walmart either, for bulk stuff or the like its usually costco for us.

BUT....if I had one near, I may shop one just to cut down on the ridiculous amount of packaging in single packed items. That's always irritated me. What a waste.

I dont have garbage service as I live in a rural area. It is amazing how much packaging there is. When you have to bring your own garbage to the dump, you get very carefull about what you bring home with you.

Co-ops used to be good places for buying bulk. You'd bring a jar or container in and simply refill it and pay for the product only. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, good stuff.....they'd have it in gallon (5 gallon?) jugs to refill from. Some places may still do that, but most I've seen have gone main stream.

Hey Che, I haven't seen that for at least 20 years. Your going waaaay back to the days of the Co-op!

I like to buy water, gatorade, and power bars there - summer work stuff. BTW are these items write-offs?? Sorry for a slight derail Butch...

Back