I got spooked today

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 6K
I'm pretty big on adrenaline myself... it's when the adrenaline won't flow and leaves you cold and clammy that I get worried.

Thats quiet the sick feeling there blinky, I wonder is that what Frans recently went thru.
Fo sho fear keeps us smart. Adriline burns me out after all day of it so I try and cool it off. The way I try and cool it off is by slowing down my body, I make a mental effort to act like "The karate kid" whereas I wax on and wax off. If I am still on the ground before a big climb I make no wasted movement. Inside I may feel like jumping 5 feet high and acting like a gurl but I dont. The reason why is as I train my muscles to act this way on the ground this equals slow is fast in the tree. It takes alot of disciple I mean alot of it, but its worth it the pay off is you have less of the adrilin dump at the end. Im guessing thou this isnt what frans was talking about.
The last tree that spooked me bad was a lightening struck tree. It had a splintering radial crack from 11 to 5 oclock. I cut and felled the limbs off and with each limb I cut the crack opened by at least 1/4 inch. THe last lead was the hardest to cut and I stood there 5 minutes summoning the courage.

did you use cam straps?

who me? No, but thanks to the TH I will employ them from now on. You got a pick of cam straps john? I guess there rarely used but can sure ease the mind.

Ha! Good one, No Bivy. Careful, or I'll have to get my hammer out and smack some of your aluminum rings!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess what you guys are saying is that I am either a dummass or an adrenaline junky who has no care about getting hurt so I do stupid things?
hollywood? nobivy?

I don't think that is what they are sayin' frans.

I think they are referring to themselves in this instance.

When I got the crap scared out of me a year ago @ 40 feet up... it made me take a look at my life. When I got that, "What the hell am I doin' up here?" feeling... I chose to plant my feet back on the ground.

Not to sound all hokey pokey and stuff... but that experience taught me to appreciate my life and my kids lives a lot more.

Gary

I'm not sure I agree, Gas.

I read the words, 'dumass', 'stupid', and watched a video of a chicken clucking.

This all really really stinks.

Reminds me of Arborist Site.

Forget you guys and the boat you came in on. See ya.

bah f'in Humbug........lighten up. What I was saying is this: I don't think one is crossing the line when adrenaline kicks in or your fear awareness is hightened. I get scared a lot... doesn't mean I don't say no to certain jobs.. But Also I KNOW tree work is exciting, therefore fear and adrenaline will come with the terreitory. Hollywoods comments seemed a bit over simplified.....I'll shuT the FOck up now.

How did this turn funky?

Hollywood is the only one mentioning a negative association with adrenaline... that's what brought the chicken humor on... I thought it was pretty funny.

Anybody who hasn't been spooked before, speak up. I have....and I ain't no chicken, I'll bet John has, he ain't no chicken either. Frans says he got spooked and he sure ain't no chicken... I think the original point was, ANYBODY can get spooked no matter how much experience they have.

Frans, if you yank the words dumbass and stupid and the chicken video out of context they might be insulting but not in the way they were actually used... not to mention, nobody has any reason to want to insult you.

Much respect to frans and bivy. I certainly was not calling either of you idiots! We all get that creepy feeling now and again. Sometimes it's just plain pucker factor (tall tree, limb walk in outer space, you know) , other times it's a genuine bad feeling (adrenaline), decay, splits, storm damage, root problems, I'm-not-quite-sure-if-the-crane-can-take-this-piece, etc.

My original post was supposed to mean this... A tree is so freakin' dead I walk away without a second thought. Sometimes you get that tree that is on the edge... can I do it, should I do it? Those are the trees I dread.

Peace everyone!

Taylor

Peace, love, granola, and herpes to the lot of ya! 8)

Back