hydraulics question

Forgot about this.

I don't know how a Woodsman is set up.

But on some Morbark models the hydraulic motor drive is splined and either the motor shaft is stripped or the female reciever spline that turns the wheel is stripped. This problem arises because of a worn torgue arm that has too much slop in it because of the mounting bolt or pin or a bad rubber bushing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was told 450 to 600 for the motors. I'm going to call woodsman on monday and see what they are selling them for.

Are you guys refering to a valve in the hydro motor or the control valve for the feed system.

I'd look on www.surpluscenter.com for replacement motors.

I bought a replacement pump for my RG85 for a little under $200. The Rayco pump was $1400, I had to wait a month to get it, and it only lasted for a few hours of operating time. Rayco's response was to send it back, they'd evaluate it, and send me another pump... turned into a monster cluster of a mess that would be for another thread. :)

Any hydraulic shop can rebuild the motors for a lot less than the cost of new. I've had this done for my Bandit chippers several times. I believe it was less than $50 for parts and labor. Chipper manufacturers use standard hydraulic motors, nothing specialized about them.

The Woodsman uses a single roller with a motor on either end.
And I have seen exactly the same problem on an 18XX woodsman.
Basicaly, woodsman use cheap shit underspeced motors with no gear / chain reduction. |It means the motors get stressed and start bleeding through.
Fraid you'll have to bite the bullet and get new motors...

Well I suppose if it were an under or substandard motor it could be a throw away IE not rebuildable .

Higher end stuff like Vickers or Parker can often be rebuild a zillion times for a fraction of the cost of replacement .The price on Vickers is most likely the highest but relatively speaking they seem to be the best . In my observation though Rexroth seems to be cornering the market on a lot of newer stuff I see which uses industrial grade hydraulics . Then too the trend for industrial machine tools etc seems to be to build for 10 years or less usable service .The stuff made in the 70's was designed to run 30 or more years .Times change .

Say ,a thought occured to me .If these hydro motors are of standard design you might be able to save a buck or two finding them on line .Northern carries quite a few as well as other sources .

WEll the guys at the hydraulic shop, spent all day getting the motors off the machine. I'm afraid I'm dealing witha bunch of morons. I told them just to order new motors. I am a little leary of them now, since it took them so dang long to take out eight bolts and unhook four hoses.

I had to fix the power steering bracket on the bucket this morning. Broken bolt into the block and I could not get a drill even remotely close to it. Had to fab up another bracket to hold it steady. when it rains it pours.

And I bet they'll want to charge you 7-8 man hours getting the two motors off.

Now you're going to pay them to put them back on?

If you were just going to replace them, why not DIY?

Excellent question, I am going to pick it up and just finish It myself. I didn't realize they were going to screw around getting them off. Called to see If they had ordered the parts for it. And they told me that they didn't have It apart yet. I had originally told them to just rebuild the motors. But after seeing that they can't really turn a wrench to well. I'm alittle leary of their work. Plus I will not be saving that much money in the end maybe $250 at most.

Post the motor's shaft diameter, if it's keyed or splined (and the size of the key or the number of splines) and the bolt hole spacing and number and see if we can find you a cheaper option.

Sounds like you're getting reamed. Can you imagine they charge any less than $30 a man hour? Perhaps they just didn't get started on it till late and won't bill you for the morning.

I'll have to get all the measurements tomorrow. Woodsman wants 585 per motor. Which is about what I had figured for the motors. I called and talked to their tech this morning. He told me that it shouldn't take much to get them off. I am so swapped with work that I need to be working, but then again I don't want to get ripped a new hole for someones lack of mechanical ability.

Sounds like he's well on his way to pushing the bill to over $2K if you let him dicker around with it any more. I'd take a day off work to save half that.

Roger that Brian. Look like I'm going to have to. Might just go ahead and get the parts on there way and get it put back together on saturday.

Get some work done and just stack brush till the parts come in.

That's ridiculous for the motors.

It shouldn't take more than an hour to swap out 2 motors unless there's some guard or something covering them.

Got the chipper back today. Turned out to be the valve that I originally took it in for. I had some pretty stern words for those guys. Its fixed and working properly.

I took it in for the valve leaking, suspecting that it had finally gave up the goat, even told the mechanic that I was almost certain that it was the valve. What a clusterfuck that turned out to be. I will not do anymore business with them. I should have just gotten the parts and worked on it myself.

Its done and I learned me something. Back to do what I know.

The two valves were plumbed together. the feed valve and the lift valve. The shop swapped the lines for the 2 valves and still the same outcome. I asked if the first valve, the feed valve was bypassing, then the lift valve, plumbed after the feed valve, would not get the full flow? They told me that would not matter, well I had my doubts but they are the "hydraulics experts"
so anyway. Here we are the bs is fixed and my pockets are a little lighter.

Back