Husqvarna 562xp

I just placed an order for a new 562XP. I'm anxious to get it and give it a whirl. TreeStuff said it would go out today.

We don't have any snow on the ground yet, so I might get a chance to take the thing out and use it to harvest a bunch more firewood yet this Fall.......but I'm taking off for a few days to go help a welder friend who needs assistance with a very large project, so I'll be gone when my new saw gets here. Hopefully the weather holds out long enough for me to get a few more cords of firewood home before the snow piles up in the tree rows.

Joel

Joel, make sure you get the winter pre heater kit with the saw [standard accessory with a new saw bought here in Canada.] All it is is just a blue colored plastic cover plate for the rewind housing and a rubber plug for the preheat window hole in the top cover partition.

I have heard the Autotune has gotten the kinks worked out of it? 562 probably be my next saw... I have ran em and loved em.

HolmanTree,

Shucks....rats...darn. I didn't mention the cold weather package when I ordered it. Maybe it's something I can get as an add-on at a later date. On the other hand, it's really no fun to work in a tree row out here on the prairie when the temperature is -30 and the wind's howling at 40 mph. Me thinks I really don't need it that bad....otherwise I might be inclined to actually use it. LOL

Joel

I've been using my new 562XP for a little over a week now and I just love the thing. It's super powerful, easy on gas, a dream to start, and almost no vibration. The easy fill flip-caps on the fuel and oil reservoirs make things a bit faster too. The new 562XP weighs about the same as my previous 45cc saw, but it chews through wood about twice as fast. I've been using it out in the wood pile to process firewood. The temperature here has been in the low teens for daily highs. The saw starts easily and restarts even better. The only thing I need to do is add a bit of diesel fuel to my bar oil, as it's very thick and I don't think there's enough of it getting to the chain.

Joel

I bought one on Thursday, to go with my 560, which is basically the same. But euro specs. We couldn't bear the stihl 271 any longer.
I've really got to sell some saws!

The only thing I need to do is add a bit of diesel fuel to my bar oil, as it's very thick and I don't think there's enough of it getting to the chain.

Joel
Joel can't you get winter grade bar oil in North Dakota? If not you may have to cross the line here into Manitoba.
We got heavy.medium and light.
Stink of diesel on everything would suck.

Or at least use 1 cup of mineral spirits/paint thinner or Naptha to the gallon of bar oil.
Makes winter weight cheap, hassle free, and no fuel oil smell.

HolmenTree,

I'm sure I could get the winter weight bar oil, but it's a long way to a store from where I live. It's 40 miles (one way) to the nearest place, but they don't carry it. I think a 1/2 cup of diesel fuel or mineral oil added to a gallon of bar oil would be about right, unless somebody here has a good recipe for winter weight bar oil.

I purchased two 5-gal pails of bar oil from my local dealer last summer. I fill my 1-gal jugs and carry them with me. I'm thinking maybe I'll mix up one gallon of winter weight oil at a time, as I'm about done for the winter around here.

Joel

Sounds like alot of work and trouble messing around with mixing , this and that.
I just buy bar oil by the case in gallon jugs in heavy weight and lightweight from the dealer and be done with it.
Even Walmart sells both weight grade of bar oil.
Only Stihl has the 3 different grades

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If its that cold, hydraulic fluid is an outstanding route to take on short bars.

Yeah I used hydraulic oil before works ok but pricy though unless you use used.. Strain out any steel filings but again more messing around.

I had to think again about what I earlier said. I haven't bought heavy bar oil for summer use for years. Just use canola and use the light winter grade petroleum oil in cold weather.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Willard, I get 30 wt hydraulic for 150 bucks for a 55 gallon drum. A bargain! But, that's the exception, not the rule.

Thanks Reddog. I appreciate that very much.

Joel

Not a problem.
I mix mine a gallon at a time.
Stihl winter weight purchased costs me twice what I can get a store brand summer weight for. So for a 50% savings I can mix. :)

Your 1/2 cup to gallon would be good to about 0F.
We called that 50/50, which meant it was the same as 1/2 gal summer 1/2 gal winter mixed.

Also keeping a gallon of mineral spirits or Naphtha around isn't a bad thing in the winter.
Poor mans anti gel for diesel fuel.

Yeah I used hydraulic oil before works ok but pricy though unless you use used.. Strain out any steel filings but again more messing around.

I had to think again about what I earlier said. I haven't bought heavy bar oil for summer use for years. Just use canola and use the light winter grade petroleum oil in cold weather.

HolmenTree, Tim here. I'm relatively new to chainsaw work, and would first like to say how much I enjoy reading everything you have to say regarding anything to do with arb work, but particularly about chainsaws and tree felling. I just wanted to ask why it is that you use canola oil in the summer as opposed to a summer grade bar oil intended for the purpose? Is it cost related or for some other reason? Thanks in advance for any answer, and please forgive me if you've covered this already elsewhere in the forum.

Tim

I found a quart of paint thinner in the basement and decided to try adding a cup of it to the summer weight bar and chain oil. It mixes easily and now pours out of the jug about 10 times faster. No more smoking bar and chain. I've got bar lube flowing again.

Prior to mixing up the winter blend, I noticed that when the saw ran out of fuel, the oil tank was still more than half-full. Not a good sign. Now the fuel tank and bar oil reservoir run empty nearly at the same time again.

Not sure if paint thinner is the best choice for this mix, but it works just fine.

Joel

Planning on buying a 562 XP with a 24" bar. It will replace a 60cc echo that is aging. Use will be ground work and occasional work in tree. Any opinion?

Back