Husqvarna 335 xpt

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Interesting little thing.I got a pair of them that wouldn't oil. The first one was just a matter of blowing it out with air and giving it a big drink of kerosine until it cleared it's throat.Filled it up with auto tranny fluid instead of bar oil,gased it up,off to the races.

The thing seems to have ample power for a little saw or at least enough.Cut some 8 to 10 inch stuff did fine.

Now comes the second saw.Evidently someone had pulled the bumper screw then tightened it down on the spring loaded shaft and bent it,no worky.

The way that silly things works is the bumper screw runs the shaft in or out of the pump body thusly determining how much oil the pump picks up per revolution.I can't say I've ever seen any thing like it before.The pump shaft is driven from a gear which is driven by the clutch drum.Drum turns,pump turns ,oils the bar.All the pump actually is,is a flat on the shaft .Who'ed a thunk it.

Attachments

• Husq 335 xpt 001.jpg
    Husq 335 xpt 001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 516
  • eaeb_1.jpg
    eaeb_1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Husq 335 xpt 002.jpg
    Husq 335 xpt 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 512
Go Al!

I should be sending you my old 020avsuper for reconditioning.

point noted Al. :) do you do much 'hopping up' of saws etc or do you just stick to fixin them up? :)

I have never been overall impressed with the craftsmanship of that saw. Maybe they are making them better now, but when I ran them, there was always something going wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
point noted Al. :) do you do much 'hopping up' of saws etc or do you just stick to fixin them up? :)
Oh ,I just "soup up " a few of my own is all. I doubt they are what you call world class but they will out gun a stocker. At the present I'm going to enhance the 038 Mag I got from Rocky .When I get it done I'll put a pictorial on here .

As far as the little Huskie ,the local trimmers that have them only have one compliant,the oilers. That plus the fact the closest dealer is 40 miles away and doesn't know chit from shineola about repairing saws or so it seems.

All little trim type saws I've ever worked on are a pain in the butt.This one is no exception because you have to nearly field strip it to work on anything. This one for example is an hour to break down and reassemble just to put 15 bucks worth of parts in . Just the nature of the little darlins I guess.:(

These were good saws when they first came out, but now that E-lux owns them I see the quality of this saw deminishing as time goes by. Sold in the box stores, and not much in the way of dealer support.

In other words buy a Sthil:D:D had to get that little zinger in here :D

I had one of those saws for a brief time, good saw till it got some hours on it. Then it was pita big time.

You go Larry!
It's not just Husqvarna, a lot of brands are being sold in the box stores. The one thing that makes one brand better than an other is dealer support. You can buy the #1 anything, but if the dealer is 100 miles away, what then? Stihl gets approached by these companies every year and they get told NO!
Stihl realizes that it is the personal attention of their dealers that sets them apart from other manufacturers.

Just an observation but John Deere and Caterpillar are much the same as Stihl with regards to dealer support.Generally speaking with either one you can get parts within say 48 hours any where in the world.This service however comes at a price.

Regarding saws,I saw the same thing a long time ago. McCulloch and Homelite were pretty good as far as getting parts.Less sold brands such as Pioneer and Lombard didn't do so well. Nothing wrong with saws,just the repairs . I don't care what it is,tractor,chainsaw,automobile,sooner or later you need parts.Some sooner than later.

That said Al, the pic of the saw you posted there looks to Stihl be quite new?:D
Neither one was actually used that long before they had oiler problems .Without knowing though I suspect they may have been used in colder weather when new .They may have bought them during that huge ice storm a few years back.

Both of the guys that own them use Stihl bar oil which is thicker than molasis in Januaray in Hibbing Minnisota.Now that's thick. Speculation on my part but I don't think this type of oiler will push that thick of oil.An old Mac with a impulse oiler could likely push axle grease but this ain't one of them.

Futher more,I don't know why so many in this area do it but they run their chains a heck of a lot tighter than I do mine. Perhaps my old school hardnosed bars or something ,mindset ya know.

At any rate,if I get them oiling as they should I'm going to suggest lighter oil.Maybe some of Stumpers salad oil for the teensy saws would be better.

Ahh, E lux has owned Husky for longer than those saws have been around.

Been using a Husky 338xpt since 2004. The only problem I've encountered is the recoil spring assembly screwed up twice and had to be replaced.

Other than that, its been a good little saw and put a lot of green in my pocket!

But to be fair, a few other guys had run the same saw and were having problems with it. Mine seems to be the exception!

If or when my 338xpt ever dies on me, I think I'll give that MS200T a try.;) The ms200t is a bit more money (& the local dealer is 40 Km away) but I've always heard good things about it so Its probably worth it!

HC

al--the oilers on the newer olys are somewhat like that--driven off a gear on the crank--and that gear is driven by the sprocket--(the old olys werent that way)--so when the chain aint movin--it aint oilen---i like it---but the oly is a whole lot better made oiler than that husky!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't the way the thing was driven that amazed me but rather the pump it's self .Mac,of course used an impulse oiler,oiled like crazy as long as the engine was running. Some Stihl's use a gear driven screw pump driven by the clutch drum.Some Poulans had gear driven toothed pumps ,ran directly from crankshaft rotation.

This danged little thing only has a flat spot on the shaft to act as a pump as far as I can see,unless I'm missing the big picture.Now how that thing could create a suction on one side and pressure on the other I have no clue .:?

No Al, you got it. Thats all there is. I have a 45 with the same thing. It quit oiling so I asked the dealer do they wear out after I took it apart a couple times looking for dirt or something obstructing. He told me no they hold up. Finally took my buddies saw and put his oiler in mine- worked fine. Not to expensive but kind of wimpy. My only comlaint in 11 years- not bad.

I've got one of those in a thousand pieces in a box. Sent to me that way for the cost of shipping.

Have yet to tear into it. P&C look good, and all the parts are there. Just needs to be cleaned and reassembled.

Gary

I've got one of those in a thousand pieces in a box.

Gary
Actually so do I at the moment.It seems that Jack's small engine repair is not the fastest at sending out parts or so it seems.:what:No matter I found another place on the net that sells Husky parts ,a tad cheaper also,ha..

Bailey's are good.If you can get a hold of Greg Grande that guy can find anything on the planet,he's good at parts .

Actually it was this place http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/parts.asp

It's a little hard to navigate but you click on parts,then model of brand.Look up the parts number then search it out.Up it comes with their part number and the price.

I soon am going to order a trigger assembley and kill switch for a 181 Husky.I'll see how they do .

Back